Thread: 11-87 Premier

Default 11-87 Premier

gents - I am headed back to the lower 48 in the next 6-8 months so I need to get back in bird hunting mode. I was considering a 20 gauge 11-87 Premier for pheasants and grouse.

Those of you with 11-87s chime in here and gimme the skinny on the gun...likes, dislikes, etc...
    thank you in advance
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have an 11-87 in 12 ga. It will handle the 2 3/4" thru 3.5". I use only 3". You have to change the gas system for it to handle 2 3/4" shell. Overall they are nice shotguns.

Default 20?

think the 20 gauge is enough for pheasants?

It depends on lots of variables, but if the birds are flushing at reasonable ranges or you are working with a dog, a 20 is plenty for pheasants. I usually use a 28 gauge over dogs and a 20 without on private land, 12 on public land. If the birds are working close, standard 20's are plenty, and if you need to reach out a bit the 3" 20's keep up with standard 12 loads pretty well. If carrying only one shotgun and trying to be ready for all situations, then by all means I'd carry a 12.

Default For the money....

If what you really want is a 20 ga I'd look for an 1100 LT

Couple of pounds lighter and you can probably score one for about $350 vs the (I'm guessing) $750 the 11-87 will run you.

Contrary to popular myth the 3 inch doesn't give you a lick more range.......it just throws more lead at EXACTLY the same velocity.......

If you're a decent shot and taking prudent shots the 2 3/4 in 20 GA will be plenty.........

If your heart is set on the 11-87 check out a place like auction arms......

I picked one up for my son (he's a lefty and this was a lefty gun) for $330 including shipping.........then I had to pay a $25 FFL transfer fee

All that said I personally find it hard to beat a good over/under choked IC/Mod

What part of the world are you going back to?

Default AF assignment

Have a good chance I will be headed to Colorado next summer. I was in South Dakota for 2 years prior to here and had a blast chasing birds. Primarily used a 12 gauge but I have been wanting to get a 20.