Thread: 2 Whole frozen Marten

Default 2 Whole frozen Marten

What to do with them? Seems to small an amount to send to auction, and don't know whether to skin them out or let the buyer do it. Have never skinned a marten, don't want to ruin them. Ideas?

Put them for sale on Taxidermy.net ,Been selling for around $80-100 whole
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Mouth skin them. it is super easy and you wont ruin anything doing it that way. There is a video that fish and game put out along with Joe Mattie that shows you how to do it. Also one more thing you want to think about. You shouldn't trap anything if you don't want to skin it. There are tons of times that I would like to sell a beaver in the round, but you wont make thing doing it that way. One more it is fun to skin, flesh, and board critters. Once you put them all up it is a good feeling.

Default +1

Good answer swapdonkey. Skinning and boarding critters is what comes with the trapping part, IMO. Marten are about the easiest to skin of anything. I'd say get it skinned,stretched and send it to moyles to get tanned for yourself as wallhangers since it sounds like they are your first ones caught...

Default Amen

I'd do exactly like dkwarthog said. Practice skinning and send to moyle for your own wall. You can look up their info at www.moytown.com.
    I also agree that they are the easiest animals to skin. Lots of times you don't even need to flesh them, or at least very little. I'd even lend you a board and some wedges if you lived in the Delta/FBKS area.

I must be doing it wrong. here I thought wolfs and beavers where the easiest ro skin. The only way to get any better at it is to skin critters. To be honest it is one of my favorite parts of trapping. Good fur handling will make you money. I always split my tails half way then use a tail stripper. I have ripped some tails off, it happens. That is what they make fur needles and floss for. Just take your time and it will go good. I don't sell anything in the round. You lose to much money for something that it easy and fun if you make it that way. Go out in the garage get some toons and start a skinning.

Default Should at least learn if you're going to kill

I also feel that skinning the animals is a part of the business you shouldn't pull a trigger or set a trap unless you are going to use the animal. By not taking the time to learn how to do these things then it is disrespectful to the animal. I don't know how to skin a lot of things and would not kill it unless I know I could find somebody to help me with the skinning and teach me. I think it is sort of offensive, I'm sure there are people on here that would be willing to help and teach you to skin the marten if you ask them.

I disagree that you have to know how to skin everything you trap, but in the sense that I did not grow up in Alaska. I did do a lot of trapping in Nebraska as a kid and taught myself as there was no one to teach me. The fur guy came around once a week and bought furs. That's not to say if given the chance to learn I would not have taken it, but it was not available. I loved trapping beaver and did it all the time and never skinned one. I am positive I would have made a lot more money if I skinned them but I enjoyed every minute of doing it and it got me out in the woods. So does that make me bad or less of a hunter (trapper) I don't think so. If you are responsible and don't waste game then it is all good in my opinon.

Swapdonk, I couldnt tell you on the wolves for sure, but it looks REALLY easy, lol, probably as easy as a wolverine.

I'd sure like to do some cat skinnin though. I just may have to look you up if/when I ever pinch one. No luck this year...

Cats are easy. ALmost as easy as a fox as far as the fleshing goes. good boarding will make a person money. When I was first skinning I would turn everything and do the feet too. It was just for pratice. One thing that I helped me out a TON was the video that fish and game along with Joe Mattie put out. I think that you can get the video free and alaska raw fur in FBX. Fish and game might even have copies. It is a great video and they go over a lot of stuff. They even show you how to clean skin a beaver. I can't wait to try it.

dkwarthog, wolves are real easy, as long as you have about 8 hours, a nose plug, arthritis medication and really sharp knives. And otters are the easiest almost like going to the dentist. NAFA has skinning videos that are really good, you can borrow them if you are a member of the AFTA in the Valley. They really help me when I catch something new.

Guys, when I said I didn't know how to skin a marten I was referring to taxidermy standards. Yes I can remove the fur. I can cut off the feet and stretch it. However my point was that I was not clear on I guess was that two seemed too small a number to send to auction. I figured taxidermy was the best option. Roger thanks for the taxidermy.net link. Why I feel the need to defend myself on here I have no idea, however I am a lifelong Alaskan, have hunted, fished and helped on my uncles trapline for many of my 36 years.