Thread: Lead core

Default Lead core

Ok I must admit I am a novice when it comes to fly fishing. I am a pro at the lead core under a different application though. I was having a discussion whith another fly fisher that said he uses a 2-3 foot section of lead core tied into the fly line to get the presentation down a bit deeper. I have never heard of this... He claims to use a nail knot for the terminal ends, and claims that it does assist in fast water or in deeper presentations.

Ok, logic tells me this will not cast well and this goes against what I (in my limited research) have learned in fly fishing. I understand the concept but have never seen it in action. Can anyone enlighten me on this concept?

Pulling core trolling I have no issues, from monster core to bird core, 2 colors to SWR rigs... Just never seen the application on a fly line.

Thanks.

Mark

Default that all depends

Many times you are using a technique called flipping rather than actual fly casting. Using the lead core as described, knots and all, works well for this. I make sure the length is such that the nail knots stay out of the guides.

Don't know how well an actual fly fishing cast would work with this arrangement because I've never used it for that. But I can tell you that when needed, I've been able to get out as far as needed for this type of fishing.

So, it just depends.

Default I think..

From your description you are talking about a homemade sink tip....which are available in a myriad of sizes, sink rates etc.

I got into flyfishing about ten years ago and started with float lines only and when I went to sink tips, I had the full market available to buy from but a buddy of mine who has been fishing AK for 30 years talked about (and still practices) making his own shooting heads and sink tips much as you describe and the certainly have a place in streamer and fleshfly angling (and others too, but that's where I use them.)

As far as casting, a short sinking tip casts really well, with a fast enough rod it really helps load it up...plus with a sink tip you usually have a shorter leader (3-6 foot) so it is pretty compact, and don't even worry about it "rolling out", just huck and duck and done right it's kind of like a sweet spot on a baseball bat....she just goes and goes and goes.

Conversely, if you have a softer rod, they aren't as much fun to cast as you just may not have enough horsepower in your rod to maximize what that compact, aerodynamic weight can offer in rod loading.

Long tips seem to be a serious pain in the bahookie, I usually limit mine to ten or twelve feet (usually 5-7) and that usually works fine for my applications.

I've actually gone to a loop to loop connection with sections of varying length based off the water depth, speed, etc.

I use a normal sink tip line. I have 3 lengths of 3, 6, 10 feet of high sink rate (I use Rio sinking fly line T-8). I loop-to-loop them to the fly line. It makes it easier to get the fly down in deeper/faster moving waters. I think that its a little bit more difficult to cast than standard WF fly line...BUT it is much easier then casiting a splitshot. It works extremely well IMO.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

it works pretty good as the tip of a scandi head on a two hander. If you have a really fast rod lead core is nice for overhead in short doeses, another option in T-14

I did break a rod casting strait lead core once though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

OK now you guys have peeked my interest....

I see that a few of you have used core as a tie in to create a wt foreward line. I understand the flip cast. Is this presentation common? and then is one using 27lb core or going to the lite wt cores at 14 and 17 lb cores? What is common in our trolling application is the 27lb cores or going to copper line.

I just ordered new flylines, double taperd and wt wt forward. I needed, what is the best way to convert these if I need to get down a bit deeper?

Sorry for so many questions, see my first statement..

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Adjusted3 View Post
    I just ordered new flylines, double taperd and wt wt forward. I needed, what is the best way to convert these if I need to get down a bit deeper?

It depends, if you are swinging stuff you want to stay deep then throw a some T-14 or a bit of lead core on the end up it, use loop to loop connections. If you are nymphing lengthen your leader and add more split shot. Both ways will get you deeper but sacrifice casting performance. I'd reccomend reterning the double taper and buying a sink tip use a bimini twist on the backing and a welded loop at the end of your line then you can change out the lines from the plastic spol the line came from to your fly reel fast and easy and you will have the correct weight for your fly rod.

Adding lead core to the front of a DT line will not make it a WF direct taper and weight forward describe the taper of the line not where the weight is. Direct tapers are not very useful unless you feel the need to hold 80 feet of line in the air or you are making really soft presentations to warey fish more than 30 feet away, or you never fish more than 30 feet from you because you can just turn around an old line to get that new line feeling.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.