Thread: Skagit Orca opinions

Question Skagit Orca opinions

There is a 96 Skagit Orca 22' SC
    5.7 GLi Volvo/Penta Duoprop
    On craigs list. Anybody out there know much about this type of boat that could share some info with me? I have been kind of looking out for a 22' C dory, but this seems like alot more boat for the money. Right or wrong? Thanks for the input.

Default boat

I guess it is just me, but a 13 year old engine would give me pause---especially if it has seen salt water. Good boat, but I`d look really hard at new power. I didn`t look at the ad, so maybe it has already done that. Just an opinion!

Default Good Boat For Alaska - BUT

Before you purchase it make sure you have a good marine mechanic look at it. I would check the compression on all the cylinders, have them check the outdrive for condition and possible damage and see if you can get any maintenance records on the unit.
    I would ask the owner when the last time the prop was taken off - if he tells you "never" - move on.
    Ask when the last time the trailer bearings were packed - if he says "never" - move on
    Boats and trailers require a lot of annual maint. - if it's not done you will be buying a money pit.
    BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand
    By the way - the money spent on the pre-purchase review will be the best money you have ever spent.

Just my personal views on the matter.

Boats are expensive new or used, I would look for a boat that is 'worthy' of putting money into, old or not. Certain brands are worth the extra investment if they hold there value and are a sought after vessel. Sea Sports, C-Dory, Skagit, all sought after brands, if it's in 'worthy' condition you might consider investing in it, especially if they are hard to find.
    I would take the Skagit in a heart beat over a C-Dory, totally different boat. C-Dory is great just not what I am into.

I was in the market for a C-Dory but ended up with a 24' Skagit Orca. I am very happy with the boat. I argued back and forth with a friend of mine who is a marine surveyor, I told him I wanted a C-Dory and he said they are great boats but not the right boat for me and my family. After owning it for some time I would not trade it for a 24' Seasport, 24' Osprey, or 25' C-Dory. I'd be willing to go look at it with you or answer any question you have just PM your number. Heath
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

The orca is a much better boat.

If you want a more versatile boat go with the Skagit. the C Dory will provide you with better Gpm, but the Orco will take you on those trips that make the difference. You will not have "the seas were too big" or the 'I just didn't feel too comfortable" feeling as often. You will not be so limiteded ,and the resale value is great. The Cdory is a great boat, but this opens up a much much larger, comfortable, position to be in.I have a 22' Osprey, and i would put this in the same catagory. As far as the hours, that is really not an issue as long as you do a compression test.If that is good, what you need to worry about is when the last time they replaced the exhaust manifolds. That seems to be the greatest factor of marine engine failure. Hopefully it has been no more than 4-5 years. If so, replace them. This is a larger, heavier vessel and it will use more fuel than a C Dory.It will provide you much more comfort and range. If you are taking the wife out, remember ,"Happywife=Happy life" I just purchased a 27 SeaSport Pilot with a diesel,128 hours. I will keep her happy, so we can all enjoy ourselves.As alot of us say, "Go big, or Go home" If I were starting all over, I would really look at this vessel.

Default Another thing...

on any I/O, check the lower unit oil. Pretty easy to do with a large flat blade screwdriver and wrench on the handle for extra torque. Ask the owner to do this (his risk) so you can see the condition of the lower unit oil. The appearance of the oil will tell you a lot. If they aren't able to do this, or don't know what you're talking about, move on. If they can't get the large plug out, move on as that's gonna indicate it hasn't been removed for quite a while, thus lack of maintenance. You'll be wanting to see clear oil. Milky/cloudy oil indicates old oil and/or water in lower unit, which is quite common when you get fishing line in the prop, the fishing line can get behind prop and cut thru the prop seal (I know this firsthand!). Also, burnt smelling oil is no good either.
    Jim
    I/O's can be great, especially if it's a volvo duoprop, but all require decent maintenance.

On changing the exhaust manifold, I would first check it to see what condition it is in. If the engine is fresh water cooled, then that is a big plus. Especially if both the block and the manifolds are fresh water cooled. If he has someplace do his maintenance and engine work, then ask who that is. Then have him call the shop and give them permission to give you the service records.

What do you think about the skagit and this boat http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1028488386.html . I've been thinking about both. Just wanted to see what peoples opinions were. I'm not crazy about a glass boat since it will have to sit outside but if its all I can afford so be it. Any opinions?

Default What about Maint & Fuel Consumption

I would seriously look at the long term maintenance of a glass boat with an inboard versus a aluminum boat with a fuel efficient outboard. If you are going to be placing a lot of hours on the unit, there is likely going to be a big difference in the money spent. I would take the about of money your talking about spending and look for a good new/used Boulton or Hewescraft. With heaters and the new styles they can be comfortable.
    I would ask the people that are selling the glass boats with V-8's what there reason is for selling - my guess it's the fuel consumption levels.

I have a 22 Osprey and I have really enjoyed it. I just purchased a 27SeaSport Pilothouse diesel. The only reason was because my family outgrew the Osprey. I will not sell the Osprey until I am absolutely sure that I like the SS. The 22 Osprey is a "Big, little boat" I put on alot miles/hours a year in the sound, and I always feel safe in this boat. There are a million opinions on the forums as to what is better, inboard/outboard, metal/fiberglass. They both have great points for and against. If you are a mechanical guy, a gas inboard is not so bad. It is more maintenance, but it is easy and relitively cheap to do most repairs/maintanence. most people are not able to work on their outboards, so off to the shop they go.$$$$ Luckily outboards are pretty reliable. The ride on fiberglass usually is better than aluminum, but that has started to change in the recent years. These two boats are under 40K. If taken care of they will hold value. I will tell you that I can't believe what he is saying about the fuel economy. I would expect more around 2.5-3 MPG (at the most) while running on step.AKFISHNUT has some points about fuel economy, but to replace ob's is rather expensive. Its all just a balancing act and we have to calculate what is the best/safest/economical boat for us. Good luck in your decision

Both good opinions and I appreciate the input. Ideally I would rather have an aluminum with outboard than a glass with I/O. I have had an I/O previously and can do the basic work on them. Problem is I don't know enough to diagnose alot of problems. That means either a nice mechanic who is willing help me diagnose or a trip to the shop. I typically can fix it once I know what's wrong though.

The reason behind wanting an aluminum is the low maintenance. I don't have the space to get it inside so it would be nice not to have to worry as much about the weather getting to it. I just can't seem to find a decent aluminum with what I am looking for, good ocean boat, hardtop, able to sleep in it, etc. These two glass boats have all the options and are in my price range. So it sure seems like something has to give.

Thanks again for the input. Good luck with finding your boat Gary and let us know what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I have a 22 Osprey and I have really enjoyed it. I just purchased a 27SeaSport Pilothouse diesel. The only reason was because my family outgrew the Osprey. I will not sell the Osprey until I am absolutely sure that I like the SS. The 22 Osprey is a "Big, little boat" I put on alot miles/hours a year in the sound, and I always feel safe in this boat. There are a million opinions on the forums as to what is better, inboard/outboard, metal/fiberglass. They both have great points for and against. If you are a mechanical guy, a gas inboard is not so bad. It is more maintenance, but it is easy and relitively cheap to do most repairs/maintanence. most people are not able to work on their outboards, so off to the shop they go.$$$$ Luckily outboards are pretty reliable. The ride on fiberglass usually is better than aluminum, but that has started to change in the recent years. These two boats are under 40K. If taken care of they will hold value. I will tell you that I can't believe what he is saying about the fuel economy. I would expect more around 2.5-3 MPG (at the most) while running on step.AKFISHNUT has some points about fuel economy, but to replace ob's is rather expensive. Its all just a balancing act and we have to calculate what is the best/safest/economical boat for us. Good luck in your decision
    You got that SeaSport for under 40K?

Smile Skydiver

No, I was talking about the 22 Osprey and the 22 Skagit that he was comparing to each other. I really wish that I got it for that price though. It is a 2005 with 128 hours on it. The guy kept it in his garage. I am now in the same position as Patrick L. Although I can rebuild a gas engine myself, I know little about diesel. I am now trying to learn all that I can about them. They way I see it though, I didn't know jack about gas engines at one time either. Theres always alot to learn, but with time and effort it usually happens, and I feel more comfortable knowing I can correct some problems while out on the water.

Smile Skydiver

No, I was talking about the 22 Osprey and the 22 Skagit that he was comparing to each other. I really wish that I got it for that price though. It is a 2005 with 128 hours on it. The guy kept it in his garage. I am now in the same position as Patrick L. Although I can rebuild a gas engine myself, I know little about diesel. I am now trying to learn all that I can about them. They way I see it though, I didn't know jack about gas engines at one time either. Theres always alot to learn, but with time and effort it usually happens, and I feel more comfortable knowing I can correct some problems while out on the water.

[quote=Soundfisher;430569]No, I was talking about the 22 Osprey and the 22 Skagit that he was comparing to each other. I really wish that I got it for that price though. It is a 2005 with 128 hours on it. The guy kept it in his garage. I am now in the same position as Patrick L. Although I can rebuild a gas engine myself, I know little about diesel. I am now trying to learn all that I can about them. They way I see it though, I didn't know jack about gas engines at one time either. Theres always alot to learn, but with time and effort it usually happens, and I feel more comfortable knowing I can correct some problems while out on the water.[/quote

With regard to learning about your diesel, suggest you get yourself a membership at boatdiesel.com. That's what I did when I bought my SeaSport Voyager with twin diesels in 2006, and it's been very helpful. There are lots of knowledgeable folks at boatdiesel.com who can give you good advice on just about any problem you might encounter with your new diesel engine. (KAD44 I'm guessing.)

Default bhollis

I have been to the site and am going to join. The boat has a KAD 43. You have responded to several of my post while trying to decide which setup to get and I want to thank you. I am doing alot of research now to get the most life and fewest problems out of the engine. Thanks again. (I may PM you)

Default Yoy Tube Videos On Marine Maint.

A good winter project

Do a search on YouTube.com about your favorite marine maintenance problem. There are hundreds of free videos on marine diesels, marine generators, outboard tests, prebuyer inspections, boat trailer maint etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P68-mgOdSpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5zhTiWuNc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR71W...eature=related