Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any kayak fisheman here??

Default any kayak fisheman here??

So does anyone fish out of their kayak here. I tried it last year and got a halibut, but I almost flipped and had a hard time gaffing the fish and getting it back to my car. I was hoping on some gear ideas and tips. I found some websites for yak fishing but they were from hawaii and Cali, so guys were in swimming trunks and such.
    Any help would be appreciated
    ps I am in Kodiak

just found an old thread, but they were talking about boat choices.
    I am looking more for practical info, like how do you make sure you dont loose your rod and paddle. What if you have a fish on and are drifting towards the rocks... How do you get a 50 lb halibut back to shore, or how do you get a 100 lb off your hook to release it(we only keep relatively small ones)
    Like I said, any help would be appreciated (and would put my wife at ease with the idea)

As far as loosing the paddle and rod, they make lanyards for the paddle and I don't see why one wouldn't work w/rod. As far as handling fish I would quiz the guys that fish sharks in southeast. Google is a good friend here and the forums of the guys in Cali is a good resource as well.

I have not fished from my Malibu Ocean yet.

George

I've landed butts to 50# off my kayak up in Alaska. I've been based out of WA, but have made the trip up to Alaska the past 3 summers. Butts to 50 pounds. Lings to 44+ inches. And our salmon shark trip! What's it like in Kodiak? I know Scott has fished up there the past 2 summers and I've had it on my list of place to check out. Was that a pic of you and a butt in Fish Alaska mag recently?

-Allen

I am in Anchorage and have fished from my yak before, although not up here in AK yet. I have a Wilderness Systems Ride. I used to chase stripers and rockfish in Cali a lot - with many of hte guys you probably see on the SoCal and NorCal forums for yakfishing.

As for rods and paddles, strap EVERYTHING to your yak. I use bungees and flexible cords that I have put various types of latches onto that hook into eyelets on my yak. The only thing that does not get strapped down is if it is in my hatches. If it comes out though, I generally try to get it strapped on soon. That includes paddle, rods, coolers, tackle boxes, etc. I have heard too many stories of guys watching expensive rods sink to the bottom or watching their paddle float away. I do always keep an extra paddle in my hatch though.

As for getting fish off, the easiest way is simply to cut the line. Even a $5 lure isn't worth getting kicked by a 'butt you know you can't handle. Always used landing nets for the stripers and rockfish. Smaller butts would be able to go in a net too I imagine, but a bat to the head would work before bringing them on board.

Hoping to chase some butts this summer as well as some silvers. Will probably start close to Seward and Whittier to get back into it. Hopefully there are others here that will want to join in. The more the merrier . . . and safer.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    So does anyone fish out of their kayak here. I tried it last year and got a halibut, but I almost flipped and had a hard time gaffing the fish and getting it back to my car. I was hoping on some gear ideas and tips. I found some websites for yak fishing but they were from hawaii and Cali, so guys were in swimming trunks and such.
    Any help would be appreciated
    ps I am in Kodiak
    RastaHunter,

Check out the norcal kayak anglers forum, as well as the northwest kayak anglers forum. Both groups of people deal with water that will kill you right quick just from exposure.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...p?action=forum
    http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com...p?action=forum

I don't tether/lanyard every single item, most notably the rods. I tend to use rod/reel combos that in general aren't all that expensive, as I figure Neptune's going to get them sooner or later. Even so, I've not lost one yet. I figure the fewer lines around the front of the cockpit, the better. I do try and keep things nice and neat though. The tackle box is kept well secured, and the only things that routinely stay up front are a pair of pliers for removing hooks, and a knife for slashing gills. The paddle is not leashed, but put under the paddle keeper when fishing. Don't freak if your paddle gets away from you. You can use your hands alone to paddle at a good couple knots. Generally fast enough for you to retrieve your wayward paddle, assuming you can still see it. I'd freespool a fish before letting it drag me into rocks, but so far nothing's tried to take me out that way.

Theoretically, I'm set up to harpoon a butt big enough to be scary. An A1 round buoy, some 1/4 nylon line, and a 24" stainless tee handled gaff with the hook cut off. I got everything at Kodiak Marine Supply. I've yet to use it in real life though. I mostly use a gaff and/or a Rapala lip gripper that looks like a medieval torture device. The gripper is tethered to a buoy as well.

My 2007 setup:

Knock on wood, I'll be up there again this summer. Hopefully things will not be as stinky for kayak fishing as 2008:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...,14402.15.html

Allen,

My kayak is your kayak, if you head up to Kodiak. It's still in pretty good shape, even post-bear

Regards,
    Scott

Allen

Are you in NorCal? For some reason I think I have met you before, and maybe fished with you too. I used to live at this board here when I was down there:

http://www.kayakfishing.com/

Maybe we met at a kayak demo days at San Pedro? Grew up in the central valley and knew Noel Mitchell pretty well, so I used to help him at all the demo days and sportsman's shows, and he'd get me free passes to get in. I used to fish with a an Asian guy off of San Quentin for stripers and for some reason I thought you joined us once or twice. My name is Jason and I am up in Anchorage now.

Anyways, if it is not you, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Hoping to chase some butts this summer as well as some silvers. Will probably start close to Seward and Whittier to get back into it. Hopefully there are others here that will want to join in. The more the merrier . . . and safer.
    I'm game. I've got access to a couple of Folbot kayaks. While not made for fishing, I feel pretty stable in them and think I could manage a silver or two.

I'd like to get out in Whittier this summer and try some fishing as well. I have my kayak rigged up with a portable fish finder, rod holder, and a fish bag. I also bought some inflatable sponsons that strap on to the kayak to increase the beam a little. My sea kayak is designed a little more for efficiency than stability when reeling in a fish, so I figured the sponsons would help. They can be stowed when not in use. I also bought a folding kayak shrimp pot from pot builder. I'm hoping to try that out, since I ran out of time last year. I rigged it up the pot with some 80# halibut cord to a short halibut rod to crank it up. Everything disconnects from the rod when the line runs out and hooks to a buoy. The only problem with the set up is I'm limited to just over 300 ft of line on the reel I currently have. But, at least I can crank up the pot and not have to worry about stowing all the line somewhere in my cockpit. I have zero experience with shrimping so I'm hoping for some beginners luck. I've read a lot on here about it and have talked to people with experience who explained to me how to do it. Its more for fun than to try and fill the thing full of shrimp. I would like to meet up with you guys for some fishing if possible this summer. Just let me know when.

Default my only success

This was my only successful fish. This was the only time I have ever gaffed the fish right in the brain so it just went rigid, but, I felt lucky, never before have I had the perfect gaffing, either from a skiff or commercial boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm game. I've got access to a couple of Folbot kayaks. While not made for fishing, I feel pretty stable in them and think I could manage a silver or two.
    I think Seward would be a great place to chase silvers, as would the bay in Whittier near the end of Sept. Off of deep creek area would be decent for butts' as well, although you really gotta watch your tides over there. If you get one where there is not a large fluctuation in tide, I think you could get out off of the beach 300-500 yards and get into a decent butt' or two.

what type of boat were you fishing out of?

Quote Originally Posted by jgonski View Post
    what type of boat were you fishing out of?
    Not sure who this question was directed at, but for me, I have a Widerness Systems Ride.

Default Crazy...

This sounds absolutely nutz.

Let me know if you need a support boat; maybe we could get my Super Leopard with a small outboard out there. I could tow the yaks out of Seward or Whittier to a likely spot and cut you guys loose for some silvers. Then if it got rough, you'd at least have a safe spot to crawl on to. Whatcha think?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I'd be interested in going along if it's somewhere that a kayak (preferably a large and stable one) can be rented and if the group doesn't mind a complete newB comming along.

Default YAY! Kayak Fisherman - I thought I was alone up here

I did some fishing off my yaks last year in K bay and Cook Inlet off the beach by Ninilchik. Lots of time on the lake too. I'd really like to hook up with other folks to prefer to fish from 15' Bobbers! Just let me know where and when.
    Knifemaker: I've got a spare boat for ya, and N00Bs are never a problem - I'm still relying on the good nature of the more experienced anglers.
    I definitely second the referral to NWKA - those guys have been really helpful.

ArmyJim, thanks for the offer, hopefully I'll be able to take you up on it. Unfortunately unless it's a pretty big boat it won't be able to carry me. I injured my back pretty badly a couple years ago and can't walk much so have put on quite a bit of weight, I'm a little over #300 now. Planning to spend lots of time swimming in lakes with the kids this summer and hopefully that will help to start getting me back in shape.

My wife just got me a nice rod and reel for silvers and pike so when the ice melts you'll probably see me out there on firelake trying to connect with my first pike.

I own a Current Designs 'Pisces' model kayak. I have a fishfinder screen located on the cowling canopy just in front of me. The transducer hangs from my rudder. I used to just shoot thru the fiberglass hull but I found, as someone previously mentioned, it is very important to keep a uncluttered area around you. I also mounted my rod holder just out of reach of my natural paddling motion in front of me. (I get real scared turning around in kayaks in the ocean looking for my rod.) I also think it is best to keep tethers or lines to a very minimum. And short. (if something goes wrong those tethers will tangle you.)
    Many yrs ago I fished sivers out at Pasagshak lake in Kodiak. I used the kayak extensively in southcentral after hanging my float tube up. I have fished many lakes for rainbows, etc. My best fish is a 32 lb King hooked off the shore near Ninilchik. It was 20 minutes after I put in for the very first time for Kings in the ocean. Since he was hooked only 100yds offshore, I chose to paddle to shore after tiring him out some and landed him from the beach.
    Last summer I heard of a kayaker down here that had hooked up with a Butt that decided to head for deeper water. Luckily, a powerboater saw his predicament and followed him out to sea about a mile. After about an hour battle, the boater assisted the kayaker in landing the fish of approx. 40 pounds.
    I have given some thought to going for the halibut myself, however have not attempted the feat yet. I realize that there is a pretty fair chance that the fish you hook just might be as big as you are. Then you will be asking yourself who has who.

Thumbs up Kayaking for Kings of the beach near Ninilchik

Here's a pic from last summer.Surprisingly, I got skunked with about 15 hours on the water. This year will be better.kayaking for Kings.jpg

Talking

sounds fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast