Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another goat hunting thread

Default another goat hunting thread

Sorry, I know the goat questions are flying around like crazy right now but I gotta ask. I am hunting DG475 with a couple other guys, one of which has hunted goats. I am new to goat hunting but I would like to learn as much as possible before goin out there.

I am in Anc. Any areas to hike into to just VIEW goats? Not asking for handouts, just want to glass them as much as possible before heading out. Willing to hike in a ways and spend a couple days viewing.

Lotsa books on sheep, are there any goat hunting books/reading?

Thanks for any help,
    Jason

Jason,
    Try West of Girdwood just West of town on one of the big pull outs. Look @ the Mtns behind you. If you want a closer look try going up to the Crow creek Trail head on the Girdwood side. Other places are: @ the head of Eklutna; was told Eagle River as well; Moose Pass; & Cooper Landing areas as well. Also scored DG475 be ready to battle some nasty brush. One of the more pressured areas I have hunted over there. 180 tags awarded.

A few years ago I saw plenty of Goats on the Eagle River Trail. More goats than sheep as a matter of fact. I drew 475 as well. Agree that 180 permits are a bunch but out of those only half will go.
    I already booked my flight the price is about 1650.00 that is a chunk of change not counting gear and time off, the flight to Kodiak as well. Oh well can't take it with you >>LOL
    Anyone want to swap pointers and advice on how to "gear" up please feel free to send a shout out. God help me if I ever figure out how much that meat is per Pound..

Goat viewing areas:

-Ridge to the east of the highway right at Tern Lake (Y in the road to Seward). There are always goats on that ridge right above the highway. Climb the ridge at the end near the lake, then run the top of it (which is very mellow hiking) until you get above the goats.

-Palmer Creek Road. There are sometimes goats visible right from the road there.

-Crow Pass trail, both from the Girdwood side and in Eagle River valley from Icicle Creek up to Thunder Gorge. Climbing up above Thunder Gorge will put you into goats.

-Devil's Pass. Once you get up by tree line you should see some goats in the mountains on your right.

-Bird Creek. There are always goats on the ridge running between Bird Creek and Girdwood. You can see them from the highway, but they're just dots - they don't come down low like the sheep prior to Bird Creek. There is a trail that runs a little ways up the valley that runs behind that ridge. From the end of the trail you can hike up above treeline and camp, and then you'll have very easy access to that ridge from the back side. Goat viewing galore.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Goat viewing areas:

-Ridge to the east of the highway right at Tern Lake (Y in the road to Seward). There are always goats on that ridge right above the highway. Climb the ridge at the end near the lake, then run the top of it (which is very mellow hiking) until you get above the goats.
    Ahh yes that is good to hear, thats were my dad drew his goat tag DG334.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Ahh yes that is good to hear, thats were my dad drew his goat tag DG334.
    Yeah, I saw that. That is a ridiculously easy goat hunt, as far as goat hunts go. It's still a steep climb, but it's right above the road.

If you want to go check it out sometime this summer, let me know and I'd be happy to show you how I approach it. There are also almost always black bears on that ridge in the fall, so if you want to take a bear you should have the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. That is a ridiculously easy goat hunt, as far as goat hunts go. It's still a steep climb, but it's right above the road.

If you want to go check it out sometime this summer, let me know and I'd be happy to show you how I approach it. There are also almost always black bears on that ridge in the fall, so if you want to take a bear you should have the opportunity.
    Yeah Brian, he's lived in Alaska all his life and has never even hunted for goats so he is pretty excited. I'll have to take you up on that hike possibly this summer especially since we could also scout out your wife's permit as well just a little further to the south. Sounds like fun.

Black bear huh? Sounds like a good trip to break my new Marlin GG in on. Of course packing out a goat in addition to a bear would be a bit much unless my bro came along too. We'll keep in touch about that.

Default Dg 719

In an attempt to keep in the spirit of the 'another goat hunting thread'

For those that live near 13D (Valdez/Richardson Highway)...
    - Reasonable for my 15 year old? (good shape, inexperienced mountain guy, not a whiner)

For those smart on Drawing, youth, tags and licensing.
    - Can my 15 year old son shoot my goat? Obviously, only one goat would be taken, but, can he hunt under my bag limit?

Thanks in advanced!

Default Goat Books

A Beast the Color of Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    - Can my 15 year old son shoot my goat? Obviously, only one goat would be taken, but, can he hunt under my bag limit?
    If you drew the permit, then your son may not legally hunt under your permit. People have been cited for this in the past.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    If you drew the permit, then your son may not legally hunt under your permit. People have been cited for this in the past.
    Thanks!

I wasn't sure, much rather find out the answer here and now, than the day before the hunt, or worse, after it's too late.

No problem. I can understand you wanting your boy to have shot at the billy. I'd like to draw a Chugach goat permit one of these days!

Default goat population

Rip
    send me a PM and I will email you a 2008 population density map

Default Fur

I had an unforeseen revelation at Church today.

I was talking with a taxidermist, he he reminded me that the Goats will still be in their summer coats until mid-September.

This was something that I didn't even consider until he brought it up.

Ugh..

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    I was talking with a taxidermist, he he reminded me that the Goats will still be in their summer coats until mid-September.
    Yep, goat hunt timing is a question of weather vs. fur quality. I'd love to get an October or November goat sometime, but for my wife's goat permit this year we'll be hunting in late August.

I will take the Hair being Summer vs. the weather killing me any day. I'm heading in 9/2 and getting the heck out 9/12 weather and god allowing. just my humble thoughts on the subject.

Default here is the map

I finally figgured it out (maybe)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default goat coats

I agree that mountain goats generally have short hair in Aug and into early Sept. But I have also saw some goats in glacier country that begin to fill out very thick in late Aug. Two years ago I took a client hunter back on Lake George and he whacked a B&C-SCI record book qualifying billy that had a surprisingly great, thick fur coat. This old billy I writing about was shot on Sept 1st.
    I have had some other Sept 1st billy kills in that country that also had fur better than I expected.
    But, sorry to say that none of my guys drew mountain goat tags this year.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service.

Smile anonymous1

Where did you find the population density map. I've been fortunate enough to draw DG362 and haven't hunted that area before. I'll be taking my boat over, but would sure like to see the most likely areas ahead of scouting. Was it a website? Or, was that a scan? Sadie Cove isn't a very large area, according to the ADF&G map, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

I did the DG475 hunt about 4 years ago, we stayed at the Zachar Bay lodge the day we arrived and the day before we left. In between we bushwacked up the mountain behind the lodge and saw 30-35 goats, maybe more and some REAL nice brown bears. We had a good time chasing goats but my partner developed a terrible blister which cut our hunt short. They are nice folks at the lodge and their sons own Kingfisher Aviation which is the air service we used. They also have a boat at the lodge and will run you across the bay to hunt deer on the other side for a small fee. Just another option for you to consider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast