Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Sheep DS203

Default Delta Sheep DS203

I just found out this morning that I drew a DS203 Delta sheep tag! If anyone has any advice about that unit I would be excited to hear from you. My email address is: jseb@lamar.colostate.edu if you would like to email me directly. I live in Colorado and would be willing to swap information on great hunt options here in CO and WY. Good luck to everyone that drew tags!

Your guide or Alaska resident kin should be able to tell you everything you need to know about this hunt. Do some searching on this forum. If you plan to walk in plan on about 20 miles one way.

Default Start Now

Did it about 4 years ago. Start hitting the bottom of your feet with a bat....that's what it felt like when we were done. Over all walk in was 4 days into sheep country and over all distance was 62 miles in 10 days.

But you know what......I'd do it all over again. You lucky some beach.

P.S. And no, I won't say were we went....sorry.

Default Gs203

I've done gobs of bighorn and mtn goat hunts here in Colorado so know exactly what you mean about getting your feet in sheep shape! The last bighorn tag I drew I wore out 2 pair of boots that summer! If anyone is interested in Colo sheep I would be willing to swap notes! I know many of the Colo sheep units very well!

jimss - Are you aware that as a non-resident that you must hire a guide or be accompanied by a resident within the 2nd degree of kindred (immediate family through cousins, basically)?

Default Gs203

Boy, you guys are pretty brutal. I am pretty sure my sister's husband would work to qualify for the guide requirement? Thanks for your concern...I certainly want to make sure everything is right.

Thumbs up Dcua

Have your brother -in-law go the the F&G office and get the five page document describing the DCUA and all of the many access points. It he can't get it there PM me and I'll send you a copy. It is very helpful for helping you decide what route is best for you and your "guide-brother". The sheep in there have a really beautiful horn configuration....wide flaring, argalli type.

Your brother-in-law is as lucky as you. He gets to scout it this summer prior to your hunt.

Your going to have a great hunt!

Dennis
    AKTAGS

I"ve been in that country twice, July and Bradford Creeks. You have a few options and it's not really a secret. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...heephunt.delta

Default G203

Dennis,
    Thanks for the heads-up in regard to the access pt document. I have looked at the brief 2 page document on the ADFG website and imagine the other is a little more detailed. I have access to most of the topo maps of the Western US at my college library so hopefully can start scanning over potential routes and sheep hangouts in the Delta CUA. I am dying to get up there and hike around this summer but it is a long trip from Colorado! From the Delta CU map it looks like a lot of exciting country and it is great that Alaska has preserved such a great spot for walk-in style hunting!

Default ds203

blck rappids is a good hunt area for this hunt also the water sheed road is good entry point. Off the water shed most of the sheep a r killed out of rhodes creek.

...good advice above from all....

-I hunted the Gerstle , and July Creek last year...

-the only thing I might add (if you go up the Gerstle, at least...)....is....I wish the bear had eaten our zodiac, too...

Default aksheephuntress

Aksheephuntress, Sounds like you had a close incounter with the fuzzy bear kind? If you could please email me I have a few questions I'd like to ask you. Thanks!
    Jim
    jseb@lamar.colostate.edu

Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    Boy, you guys are pretty brutal. I am pretty sure my sister's husband would work to qualify for the guide requirement? Thanks for your concern...I certainly want to make sure everything is right.
    One thing that you'll learn, is people from Alaska are up on their hunting regs. We are passionate people, who take our hunting, fishing, and hockey seriously! Most here will point you to fish and game for information (or the archieves). Being a non-resident with that tag, probably won't win you lots of friends. Is that the walk/fly in tag? My ex drew the motorized tag a few years ago, got a nice ram too. Let me know what tag that is.

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ...good advice above from all....

-I hunted the Gerstle , and July Creek last year...

-the only thing I might add (if you go up the Gerstle, at least...)....is....I wish the bear had eaten our zodiac, too...
    Sorry to hear about your bear encounter aksheephuntress. Did you all drive your zodiac up the river an if so how far did you make it?

Default G203

Hoyt, I don't blame residents of Alaska for being passionate in regard to the gorgeous country, critters, and keeping a watchful eye on the regs! I am the same way here in Colorado. I have always welcomed guys to hunt in Colorado and actually helped an Alaska friend harvest a whopper 330 class bull elk and 5x5 muley buck a few years back.

I didn't mean to rub anything in with my original post but was just super excited when I drew the tag and will finally have a chance to hunt dall sheep. It has actually been a dream of mine since I was a little kid! There is no way I could afford to hunt dall sheep if it wasn't for my bro-in-law's willingness to take me. I think it is great that Alaska offers nonresidents family members this great opportunity to share with their relatives! I am pretty sure, on average there are only 1 or 2 nonresident tags handed out for each Delta season but I can certainly understand how it can be a drag when nonresidents draw even one of these prized tags.

Here in Colorado 35%+ of our tags go to nonresidents for most big game species. If any of you want to hunt Colo sheep, goats, elk, deer, or antelope get a hold of me and I would be glad to help out or sway you in the right direction!

If anyone is willing to offer some advice or help, I would greatly appreciate it. I drew the early sheep tag (GS203) and again I am very sorry if I upset anyone!

Default Gs203

I have gotten a bunch of great sheep advice on this post and really appreciate all the tips! If anyone has any more information they would like to share please feel free to email. I am sure looking forward to heading north!
    Jim
    jseb@lamar.colostate.edu

Have you figured out where you are going to hunt yet? If you are going to fly in along the Johnson I would make plans to do so soon. I'm hearing lots of folks calling the three air taxis that work area and spots are filling up.

Default Flight

Hey Chisana, Thanks for the heads up in regard to the fight. Fortunately we signed up with Jim Cummings the day after I found out we drew.

Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    Hey Chisana, Thanks for the heads up in regard to the fight. Fortunately we signed up with Jim Cummings the day after I found out we drew.
    In that case you'll probably be hunting near where I did. I believe Jim runs a good operation.

Default GS203 Pictures?

Thanks again for all the great suggestions and comments guys! I was wondering if anyone has any photos of what different drainages in the Delta country looks like? It looks pretty knarley on topo maps!
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast