Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sexing Goats

Default Sexing Goats

OK so I am going goat hunting... I am big on conservation like most here are and though my tag is good for either sex I would certainly prefer to take a mature billie. This statement from my permit means a lot to me "Hunters are encouraged to take male goats, taking nannies with kids is prohibited". The nannies with kids part should be pretty simple but the first half seems to be the bigger challenge! I am sure there are a lot of novice goat hunters with their first tag this year that could use some help sexing goats as well. .......er.... differentiating gender of goats...

Thanks! and I might add that pics and examples are a big PLUS!

Great idea LuJon!!! I'd also like to be well educated in this prior to jetting off to Kodiak and shooting the first lone goat that comes around. Would much rather shoot a male than a female. Although your thread title leaves a little to be desired. HAHA!!

Smile Goat sexing

Well having been on multiple goat hunts contributing to the combined death of seven goats between myself and friends this is my experience.

First goat.....Billy and that was just shear luck that the first goat I encountered was a solo beauty. After climbing I was happy to drop the pin and head back down.

Second......Glassed a group until one urinated...billy.....2 hrs later in shooting posistion and they were all bunched up on top and I just picked the biggest goat......It was a Nanny.

Third.......Small Billy......2yr old......my friend shot the Nanny that was with him.

Ect........

If I've learned anything about sexing goats......It coresponds with what ADFG has published and I encourage you to get the printed publication on sexing goats, its this:

Big Billies are just that.......BIG. Once you've seen one in a field situation there is no mistaking you've found a suitable target. If your dilly dallying around trying to grow a giant nut sack on it.......it's got too many nipples.

Group ethics......What is published about group dynamics is true........Billies will be solitary and in rougher country as a rule durring the early season. Kinda like big Alpine bucks. Look for that solo bad boy way beyond where the rest are hanging.

Seasonal considerations........The above information should be altered some what when late season hunting starts Nov and Dec because of the rut and weather. Billies get into the wintering zones with the nannies. Anything older than 4 years old will be notably larger than it's female counter parts. Look for large bases, stained rump, large glands at the base of the horns.

I've shot a nannie and I've seen one shot by accident. If your excited and your a long ways off it's really easy to talk yourself into believing it's a billy. Wrap your brain around the situtation and consider all your options. One thing about goats is they don't run to the next drainage like sheep. They will just find the next suitable bail out posistion to wait you out.

Good luck it sound like there will be plenty of good goat hunting stories this fall with the many successful goat permit draws. I'm heading into a registration area.

I'm sorry I don't have a link to the sexing goat publication. I saw it here in Sitka at the F&G office its rather good with photos. You could probably get on the horn with a bio and request it be mailed. Afterall we do pay their salaries with all that donated drawing money.
    Last edited by Bighorse; 02-07-2009 at 08:18. Reason: spell

Default billys

It can be tricky for sure, I know a couple guides with years of experince that have taken nannys by mistake. I watch for a few things first off just they way they are built and how they move. A big mature billy will have a more distinct beard and will move a little differently (its hard to explain but after you have watched some you will see it) Also look at the horns billys will normally be darker in color, have bigger and normally are not as wide between the tips as nannys. In our country in hunting season the big billys are almost always in steeper country than nannys either in small groups of 5 or 6 or alone. Hope this helps!! Watch the wind! I lost a huge billy last year that I had a bowhunter on for 5 hours when the wind changed!

It is not difficult at all. But most important, if hunters want to continue hunting them. It is impossible to properly train or educated someone in a simple thread, to the extent needed. So, I would encourage goat hunters to read everything they can on the subject, look some over in the field, look at every picture you can find, google up images on the web, and have the determination to not shoot a nanny.

I have NEVER found it difficult to tell the difference. I am totally convinced that nannies are shot, because hunters can't or won't go the distance and take the easy way out, to not go home empty handed. Sounds draconian, but that is the way I view it.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default boys and girls

Briefly, and this is quite easy.....By mid Sept Billys have that large black gland that becomes visible in back of the hornes, and...

The space between a nannies hornes is always larger that the diameter of a horn, and the space between a Billys hornes is always much more narrow than the diameter of a horn.

...two quick boy/girl references....to be used in conjunction with the other differences...

Dennis
    AK TAGS

I am glad some of you goat hunters give a chit!

Below is a link from Utah ADF&G. I talked with Alaska ADF&G about the proposal I submitted to mandate a goat orientation class. They mentioned they will not support my proposal but he mentioned they do have some new information/poster on how to tell the difference between a Billy and Nanny, so call them up and go see this new poster.

Best of luck!

Troy

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/goa...ntation_08.pdf

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    I am glad some of you goat hunters give a chit!

Below is a link from Utah ADF&G. I talked with Alaska ADF&G about the proposal I submitted to mandate a goat orientation class. They mentioned they will not support my proposal but he mentioned they do have some new information/poster on how to tell the difference between a Billy and Nanny, so call them up and go see this new poster.

Best of luck!

Troy

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/goa...ntation_08.pdf
    Better yet. I would suggest writing a letter in support of the proposal, or speaking in support of it to the BOG, when it comes up.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I suggest you talk to the Bio incharge of your area. I know some areas on Kodiak have too many goats and are in jeopardy of over grazing. In these areas you would actually be helping the population by taking a nanny. Just food for thought.

I have assisted/ harvested 8 goats on ADQ. Only one nanny was taken & it was by choice. I would have to agree w/ the advice everyone has given to you. If you see a group of various sizes 90% chance you will waste your time, for a BIG OLD billy. If a goat looks to be big boddied far off & it is a loner pretty good chance he is a big billy. Be prepared for some heart ache as well. You may get into range & you will have to pass due to it being a nanny or you may not be able to recover it. Also anchor a goat, make sure it goes NO WHERE, they can be tuff critters! Good Luck.

This is William

Default NOT easy sometimes ....

Your brain wants to say Billie ....

I have a few goat hunts under my belt to base my opinions on.

If you haven't taken a Nanny and truly thought it was a Billie you haven't hunted Goats that much. Even the most experienced Goat hunter gets fooled.

During all the seasons from August thru October I have seen big Billies mixed in with Nannies, Kids and juveniles .... they are not necessarily lone cliff dwellers.

Take a look at this article on this site. Even though it is out dated it has some good info.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/are...oat.htm#Trophy

George's Goat was obviously a Bill from the first glance .... but first glance was at 15 yards.

Default A Nannie

And David's was obviously and Nanny from first glance.

Default but younger Goats

Take some looking over .....

Both Billies .........

Here's a different goat.
    What do you think?

A closeup...

This shows Nanny

Default Pretty Simple

Billy's horns will always sweep back towards the ears after about the first 4 inches as were a Nanny will be almost a vertical horn with only the last 3 or so inches sweeping back. Also, like some had mentioned the nanny's horns are very thin starting at the scull all the way through and the billy's will look twice as thick as the nannys. If looking head on see how high the horns look. If they look like they are fairly straight and tall with no mass....its a nanny....ALWAYS.

Just in the photo's here, you have great examples of what is a nanny and a billy. Good Luck

Default i almost never even look at the horns

your looking for a big bodied yellow animal with a big black spot on its hip....thats your billy......has never failed...nannies and younger billies don't show this....also...look at the first three pictures on here....two are billies and one is a nannie...notice the large gland behind the horn of the billies...best from side view as the other pictures of the straight on billies don't show this.....and yes typically billies horns curve early and nannies horns are more vertical...however this is not always so but thats probably 1/1000

ps what tag did you get??
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Very informative!

Sex and Goats..... ~LOL!!~Geeeee, Im still learning something new everyday, and thats good, aint it? Too bad the Smiley is broke......

No Goats up here, and luckily, no drawings, only registration.

Very informative.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast