Thread: Help Construction near Glennallen

Default Help Construction near Glennallen

O.K. i have been thinking of getting into a new house but need a good construction guru to let me know what it's going to take to fix up an unfinished house ...anyone have suggestions?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    O.K. i have been thinking of getting into a new house but need a good construction guru to let me know what it's going to take to fix up an unfinished house ...anyone have suggestions?

I have been in the business for 20 years. There are alot of variables to consider on a fixer upper. Can you provide more details or pics of the house. Some of the fixes are very very simple. Some are not if your getting into structural issues. Id hate to take a guess with out seeing or hearing what your trying to do.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

structuraly (sp) sound... 2 floors... I dont have pictures yet but It just needs finishing... the good thing is that it is "open" with no interior walls constructed yet.. so I have to figure out how to stick 3 bdrms a bathroom and a water closet( all water /furnace and washer dryer) within 1100 sqft.. any suggetions..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

structuraly (sp) sound... 2 floors... I dont have pictures yet but It just needs finishing... the good thing is that it is "open" with no interior walls constructed yet.. so I have to figure out how to stick 3 bdrms a bathroom and a water closet( all water /furnace and washer dryer) within 1100 sqft.. any suggetions..
    I have AutoCAD on my laptop so if I had the dimensions of the house I could draw a plan to scale for you and give you a better idea how it will all fit in the space. That could at least get you started on the planning stages.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Well for me what you have left is pretty simple. Interior finish could be anything but sheetrock is easy to install. Mud and taping it is another challenge that I always sub out. If rock is to much to do or get into the area T&G is very popular but very very expensive and time consuming. It does look very nice when it is done though.

Interior walls are simple to install and to design. Id jump on dougs offer and let him come up with a plan or 2 then start tweaking them from there.

Floor are pretty simple. It is just a matter of what do you want and budget. Bedrooms can be one thing but high travel areas should be something stout that does not require alot of maintnance. Floors can be anything from carpet to vynil to wood laminate flooring. Cost and getting it to the site is always something to consider.

Keep the info coming and im sure we will keep the ideas flowing

Default Sheetrock...

If I am within reach of a fire dept, I would sheetrock under any T&G you put up.Sheet rock to the building trade is what penicillen is to the med trade.I have gone into bldgs gutted by fire, and had all the studs structually sound thanks to the rock.If you are remote, and it goes up in flames...it's gone anyway unless you have a good extinguisher system.Your call.GR

Quote Originally Posted by Rovingarcher View Post
    If I am within reach of a fire dept, I would sheetrock under any T&G you put up.Sheet rock to the building trade is what penicillen is to the med trade.I have gone into bldgs gutted by fire, and had all the studs structually sound thanks to the rock.If you are remote, and it goes up in flames...it's gone anyway unless you have a good extinguisher system.Your call.GR

I agree 100% with you archer. I just did not put that in my post. If your putting T&G over the sheetrock you also only need a quick coat of mud over the screw holes and firetape the seams. It does not have to be to pretty but it will extend the life of your house if there is a fire. There is a reason we are required to use 5/8 fire rated rock in the business

Default Alaska Chuck...

Is this the Chuck from Hiline lake? GR

allright the blue is were current temporary water stuff is, the yellow is the stairs and a door to outside, the red is access to crawlspace...the house is 28x40 so i'm thinking inside dimentions are 27x39? ..

Quote Originally Posted by Rovingarcher View Post
    Is this the Chuck from Hiline lake? GR

I dont think so LOL. I built a cabin out there in the mid 90's for a gentleman and his wife but I dont reside or play out there.

Hopefully doug can get you a few drawings from your post ret25yo.

It is wide open and from my experience you can do alot with the place. Just a matter of starting off with some walls them doing the move this change this untill you get what you like. Oh and one thing. Dont be shy about insulation. I dont mean over stuff it but use the proper material for the area your in. Brrrr chilly in the winter and can get balmy in the summmer. If the exterior walls are 2=6 R-19 is perfect. never ever overstuff. The key to insulation is air. Just my .02 worth

allright the blue is were current temporary water stuff is, the yellow is the stairs and a door to outside, the red is access to crawlspace...the house is 28x40 so i'm thinking inside dimentions are 27x39? ..

I'll draw up a few different plans for you. I can't see your picture here so I'll check it out when I get home. I figure the living room, kitchen, and dinning room I will leave open, put two bedrooms up and one down with the bathroom/laundry downstairs and hide your water heater in a closet. What type of heat are you using? Gas/electric furnance? Any thing particular you want ie. number of closets, kitchen layout, room sizes. Your dimensions are a tad bigger than my house and I have 2 bedrooms without a second floor. So you can have decent sized rooms and be very comfortable with this amount of space.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

the upstairs is already configure with a kitchen and very small bdrm and arctic entry ... its just the lower floor we need 3 more bdrms and a WC and bathroom ..ect
    i'll post a pic/scetch of the top floor also..

wow couldnt edit...

anyway..
    heres were you first walk in/..

bump and need ideas on heating.... water treatment ..ect...

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    If rock is to much to do or get into the area T&G is very popular but very very expensive and time consuming. It does look very nice when it is done though.

I swear applying three coats of Varathane, allowing time to dry, and hanging the TNG on the vaulted ceiling of my cabin took more time than anything (everything) else did.

It does look good now that it's done, but what a PITA it was when it was in progress.

bump and need ideas on heating.... water treatment ..ect...
    If you've got access, how about floor radiant heat?

ohh good point I have access to it ..i'll start researching

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    If you've got access, how about floor radiant heat?

Ill 2nd 3rd and 4th the in floor heat. laying the whirzbo is very very simple. I have laid it but never tied it to the boiler. I leave that to the experts

ohh good point I have access to it ..i'll start researching
    Research flooring too.

Quite a few internet sources say hardwood flooring is OK with floor radiant, but the solid Oak flooring I put in my cabin specifically stated that it was not for use with floor radiant heat.