Thread: sheep permit

Default sheep permit

I just found out that I drew DS140 and was wondering if anyone had any info on this hunt. Thanks for any help

Its an Archery only hunt.
    Season dates are from Oct 1-10
    Any sheep is legal
    Hunt area consist of mainly 14C with a few exceptions

And most importantly it was supposed to be my permit!!! Congrats and sorry for the smart reply.

Default Ds140

This is a good hunt if the weather is good. The last time I had the hunt the wind was blowing 60-80 and raining. Last year when I was moose hunting I seen alot of sheep that were huntable close to the trail and the weather was good, lots of snow up high and sheep were located down low. The late hunt is a weather dependant. bYou can usually find sheep at the opener arround serenity falls.

Default I'm going

My uncle drew 140 also - we will be doing a lot of scouting and hiking to get in shape. I have some tips - but I would be shot if I let the sheep out of the bag.

I was hoping that one of us would draw - I get to do everything except loose the arrow, I am very excited.

Which part of the unit will you focus on? I think that there were 60 permits or so (didn't recheck)...so I imagine that there will be lots of folks in the hills chasing them.

Default ds140

the east fork can be preety good. It is a bout a 5.5-6 mile hike to the back. When the sheep get lots of pressure I have found them back in here alot. Be shure to carry a side arm, for this is where alot of the brown bear are. There are lots of hidden pockets back there that cant be seen until you are hiking inn. Teh bowl on the back side of the lake is another good spot. You can cut a trail to get there if you cross the river ans head back twards the lake by the baseof the mountain. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

Which part of the unit will you focus on? I think that there were 60 permits or so (didn't recheck)...so I imagine that there will be lots of folks in the hills chasing them.
    I think there are 80 permits this year, and there were 100 last year. That being said, I didn't see a single hunter when I was in the mountains last year. I'd guess that a half don't use the permit at all, particularly if we get an early snow like we had last year. (We woke up to a winter wonderland on our first morning last year.) Additionally, another 75% of those that do hunt hit the easy access points for day hunts, such as Twin Peaks and the area along Eklutna Lake that have ATV access. If you hike for the better part of the day (there are lots of such options), you'll probably be all alone.

I got some great advice for you, take your buddy Brad.

Brad you are always full of great advice. give me a call and we can work out the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I think there are 80 permits this year, and there were 100 last year. That being said, I didn't see a single hunter when I was in the mountains last year. I'd guess that a half don't use the permit at all, particularly if we get an early snow like we had last year. (We woke up to a winter wonderland on our first morning last year.) Additionally, another 75% of those that do hunt hit the easy access points for day hunts, such as Twin Peaks and the area along Eklutna Lake that have ATV access. If you hike for the better part of the day (there are lots of such options), you'll probably be all alone.
    I did not realize that Eklutna area was part of this hunt, but if so, Brian is spot on. A friend of mine and I were in there last year moose hunting and saw probably a dozen or folks chasing the sheep around at the back end of the lake.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

jmg - Part of the far reaches of the Eklutna drainage fall into this October hunt, but there is another permit (DS141) that covers Eklutna and takes place in September. If it was Oct 1-10, though, you were seeing DS140 hunters.