Thread: Bad day at range, misfire question

Default Bad day at range, misfire question

Kinda new to reloading rifle rounds. I loaded 10 rounds yesterday for my rem 700 300 RUM xcr. First time. The only powder I could find was Accurate Magpro. I loaded according to the speer manual for starting loads for 5 rounds then 1 grain more for 5 rounds. New Rem cases and cci large rifle mag 250 primers pushing Accubonds. COAL was 3.600 or a hair less. 8 of the 10 rounds misfired! The primer ignited but the powder did not. On the 2 that did fire there was a very short pause after pulling the trigger till it fired. The speer manual says it is common for starting loads to not fire when woring up to new loads. The powder should work I would think. Also, which might be the problem, is I resized the new cases and washed them in boiling hot water then set them out to dry. I primed most of them and noticed a drop of moisture in one so waited till this morning to continue loading. I did not put any powder in them till this morning but could that very small amount of moisture have caused the primers to not ignite enough? I did load a case with just a primer and it fired fine. Also at the range I fired aboutf 5 factory loads with no problems and the firing pin dented the primer just the same as my loads. Wish I could find some Retumbo and check it with that. Not real sure what the problem is but I did something wrong! Any help would be great! Thanks.

Default Keep your powder dry.

The water did in your powder, not the primers. I don't think water should ever be used to clean cases even though it is done a lot. If the water drops were left in standing cases the water would likely settle to the bottom and the powder was put on top of the water drops. This would be the worst thing to do, the powder would be wet at the primer.

I've left water in primed cases for days, then dried the cases with various ways and put powder on top of that primer and never had one fail to fire. ALL have worked. I don't think the primer is the culprit here. Some types of powder will instantly cake when hit with water. Some types of powder will float in water for hours and still burn.

If you wash cases use compressed air to blow out excess then use the long stemmed cotton swabs to dry each case inside. It is best to use a case polisher, vibratory cleaner. Also cleaning should be done before sizing this saves the dies from the grit scratching the die body.

I am not familiar with the Mag Pro powder but apparently it doesn't like water. There is a possibility of chemical soaps having an effect also if anything like that was used.

Your caliber here, 300 RUM is a larger capacity caliber with a big charge of powder, this would make the situation worse also as large charges of 100 grains are tough to ignite anyway. The hottest possible primer, FED 215, may be called for here.

You did good with your small quantity of test ammo so no big problem but what will make for an issue is if you get weak (squib) load it can leave a bullet stuck in the barrel and that is a pain.

Also you said the Speer book said hang fire was common in light loads, that doesn't sound right. Any hang fire load is not a load you want to use.

I've been doing some experimentation with some new powder with no data in a caliber with no data or name and on the light end of this stuff I got erratic chronograph readings beacuse it was so light as to be inconsistant ignition. I don't consider those to be good and actually ended up at 4 grains above my starting point to get rid of those sporatic sparkers. RL-17 the culprit. It works fine where it was meant to work.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Miss Fires

YES ANY AMOUNT OF MOISTURE CAN SCREW YOU UP !
    Try things again with really dry cases, your primers were maybe damp and didn't have enough fire to ignite the powder.

Default DRY

While I don't reccommend washing cases with water, for very obvious reasons. The water or cleaning fluids can be blown out of the cases with a blow dryer set on high.
    Pull the bullets you loaded and reload the cases that failed to fire. Before they get mixed up with your next batch of ammo or something.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't have a problem with getting cases wet. I've used a liquid case cleaner, (homemade) that had water in it, with nary a problem.

BUT, they take a long time to dry. Even blowing them out with air didn't speed things up much.

It's pretty hard to disable a primer. Even oil won't do it forever. They dry out, and still fire.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default 300rum

Hey, thanks for the help. I am pretty sure it must have been that my cases were a little damp and the Magpro does not like it. I pulled a couple of bullets and emptied the powder and on one it was a little caked. I let them sit over night and thought they were dry, my mistake. Lesson learned! I don't have a tumbler and really don't reload enough at this time to invest in one but I guess one will be needed in the future. For now I will use a blow dryer to be sure. Now I need to get a puller as I used pliers to pull the 2 bullets but I have 6 to go and don't want to ruin anything. Anything to do with the RUM is a little pricey but I had a ball yesterday firing it. At a hundred yards it was really accurate with the factory loads. Can't wait to work up a good load. thanks for the help.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Way to go.

Murphy was right about what caused the problem, then.

One of those inertia bullet pullers shouldn't set you back much.

"resized the new cases and washed them in boiling hot water then set them out to dry."

I just noticed you washed " new cases". You don't need to do that. Only use a liquid cleaner if there is a lot of grit.

Just wipe the lube off with a cloth. Sometimes I use a paper towel, or one of those Blue shop towels.

I consider a case tumbler, to be a luxury item, of dubious value.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Bullet puller

Went and bought a rcbs bullet puller today and it does not work with a 300 RUM case, the case just fits with alot of pushing and twisting. I told my son something doesn't seem right. Had a heck of a time getting the case back out after removing the bullet. Worked great on a couple of 44 rounds just not big enough for the 300. I'll have to look around for something that will work. Reloaded some new really dry loads today and am anxious to give em a try.

Default Alternative bullet pulling

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Went and bought a rcbs bullet puller today and it does not work with a 300 RUM case, the case just fits with alot of pushing and twisting. I told my son something doesn't seem right. Had a heck of a time getting the case back out after removing the bullet. Worked great on a couple of 44 rounds just not big enough for the 300. I'll have to look around for something that will work. Reloaded some new really dry loads today and am anxious to give em a try.
    Sorry it doesn't fit. Is it because the cartridge is too long?

The other choice is a clamp-type that you use with your press. There are two ways to go.

A collet type puller where you screw the collet in place of your die, raise the loaded cartridge in the press until it "bottoms" out (or in this case, "tops" out), then you tighten the collet onto the bullet, then lower the cartridge case. This is cartridge-specific, but does not (generally) damage the bullet.

A Pliers-type works the same way as the collet-type but can scratch up the surface badly, unless the jaws of the pliers are smooth and match the shape of the bullet. I do know of one guy who has made his own pliers (for each caliber) from plate steel or aluminum simply by drilling a hole of the right size and making a couple of saw cuts. Works like a champ he says.

Good luck.

The RCBS inertia bullet puller does work with the 300 RUM, I use it all the time with my 300 RUM loads. According to my calipers the RCBS puller is 4 inches from point to point, which will easily hold the 300 RUM with a typical COAL of 3.6".

My advice, which was given to me by the person that taught me to reload, dump the RCBS case holder that comes with this inertia bullet puller. Use the RCBS or Redding shell holder, the one you use in your RCBS or Redding press to hold the case. Place the case in that holder, put it in the puller, thread on the cap, and bang away. Hopefully that makes sense, if not I'd be glad to post a youtube video of it.

Stormy, worth while advice, invest in a rotating or vibrating tumbler. Even if it is a cheap one.

Hey Water Gremlin, good advice. The problem was not the length it was the diameter of the holder that came with the puller. It was hard as heck to get it to fit in the tube and screw the cap on. The rubber o ring was really tight against the side. Even harder to get the case out after removing the bullet, had to keep tapping on the neck till I deformed it. Using the holder from the press it works great! Thanks

I seem to recall primers used to be loaded in a wet room. The compound was wet itself. People used to paint the compund into the cups in the factories, kids and women. my great aunt work for years for Peters Cartridge Company at the Kings Mills Plant in Ohio and shared these stories.

After doing whatever to your cases, if you wash them you should use a detergent to remove anything (why else are you washing them?). Then you can put the empty cases in the oven on a cookie sheet at 200* (the warm setting), and in a couple hours they be dry.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

That's odd your 300RUM cases will not fit in an RCBS bullet puller. They work just fine in mine. Maybe the newer versions are of different diameter?

If I use the shell holder it works great but not the o ring holder that comes with it. Thanks

WHOOOOPS! Sorry I didn't catch that part of your post that said the shell holder was a go.