Thread: HandGun Rust Problem. Need Help!

Default HandGun Rust Problem. Need Help!

Alright, my dad bought this handgun during 1998. Its an old War Gun, I believe from the Vietnam War and shoots rifle looking ammo. My nephew actually killed a California Bear (not sure of what type) with this handgun and, no its not a revolver. We moved here to Anchorage in 2001 and left the handgun with some family and now finally decided we wanted to ship the handgun up here. Well, since we moved up here, I guess no one has really paid much attention to the gun and has just kept it away in a piece of cloth. Bad move. Well, yesterday my sister took the gun to a FFL dealer to have it shipped and opened it to find that it was very rusty. Im gussing its been around 8 years now without cleaning that I know of. The gun was shipped and is on its way over here to another FFL dealer. My question is, what would be the best way to get rid of all, if not, most of the rust. Will the gun still function well? Its going to be my Bear protection gun for this Summers Hunting so I need to clean it up good and test it out serveral time before taking it with me. Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks

Default Ultrasonic cleaner

An ultrasonic cleaner is the best way to clean rusty guns without damaging them or the remaining finish. Check around and find a gunsmith that can do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee04 View Post
    Alright, my dad bought this handgun during 1998. Its an old War Gun, I believe from the Vietnam War and shoots rifle looking ammo. My nephew actually killed a California Bear (not sure of what type) with this handgun and, no its not a revolver. We moved here to Anchorage in 2001 and left the handgun with some family and now finally decided we wanted to ship the handgun up here. Well, since we moved up here, I guess no one has really paid much attention to the gun and has just kept it away in a piece of cloth. Bad move. Well, yesterday my sister took the gun to a FFL dealer to have it shipped and opened it to find that it was very rusty. Im gussing its been around 8 years now without cleaning that I know of. The gun was shipped and is on its way over here to another FFL dealer. My question is, what would be the best way to get rid of all, if not, most of the rust. Will the gun still function well? Its going to be my Bear protection gun for this Summers Hunting so I need to clean it up good and test it out serveral time before taking it with me. Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Pistol

The handgun you're describeing sounds like a Tokarev. They were the standard issue of the Comm Bloc countries as well as China for many years. They shoot a 7.62 x25mm pistol cartridge ( if this is the right firearm).
    You'll find it to be a loud firearm. It fired a bottle-necked round. The projectile is around 85 grains @ 1700fps. This round was used in machine guns as well. This is not the same as 7.65 mauser and is much hotter than mauser ammo.
    Nearly all military 7.62x25 ammo is corrosive. The more modern commercial imported ammo is usually non-corrosive.
    Not sure about your rust problem though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The handgun you're describeing sounds like a Tokarev. They were the standard issue of the Comm Bloc countries as well as China for many years. They shoot a 7.62 x25mm pistol cartridge ( if this is the right firearm).
    You'll find it to be a loud firearm. It fired a bottle-necked round. The projectile is around 85 grains @ 1700fps. This round was used in machine guns as well. This is not the same as 7.65 mauser and is much hotter than mauser ammo.
    Nearly all military 7.62x25 ammo is corrosive. The more modern commercial imported ammo is usually non-corrosive.
    Not sure about your rust problem though.
    Yeah, I think your right. Its shoots the ammo similar to those that you have described, but I am not completely sure until the gun arrives sometime next week. I'll post the model, but yeah, I'm still looking for more ways to get rid of the rust.

Thanks you guys

Sounds like a Tokarev in 7.62X25 Tokarev to me also or maybe the CZ52 (issued in 1952) in 7.62X25 Tokarev. If it is they are a blast to shoot but not any good for brown bear defiance, they are way too small for that. Other info if the CZ52 don't trust the decocking device on it and never dry fire it. They are well known to fire when using the decocking feature and for snapping the firing pin when dry fired. Ammo is hard to find as are the reloading dies but both can be found out there.

As for rust if it's not too bad and just on the surface 000 steel wool well oiled with gun oil will take it off. If it has any pitting you will want ultrasonic or an electroplating tank in reverse polarity, so take it to a good gunsmith.

Sounds like a great bit of family hystory to always keep.

Andy

Alright Guys,

I just got the gun in today and cleaned most of the rust off. I think it looks ok, but I expected the ammo to be bigger, but I guess it only looked big because I was only 14 years old then and its been 8 years since I've seen the gun. The ammo isn't close to as big as my PT145, but I heard it does damage.

I guess you guys were right about the gun. It is a Tokarev Type 54-1 Pistol and takes the 7.62x25mm ammo.

Here are the pictures. Thanks Again.

Default Hmmm

That tokarev ammo is supposed to be an excellent penetrator. I think there is an article on "the box o truth" where it penetrates current issue kevlar helmets.
    The 357mag loaded hot with hard cast didn't penetrate, but the tokarev did.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29_3.htm

It's a hot little round but a little round nun the less. Put a round nose FMJ on a 357 and it may also go through Kevlar. I had 10 CZ52s I picked up as a lot for $600 in the late 90's. The round is a blast to shoot for sure, I enjoyed shooting them. Energy is a bit under a 9mm but well over a 380 as I remember it. It is a necked down 9X18 Makarov brass with a 7.62 bullet on it.

Andy