Thread: Valdez hooligan fishing

Default Valdez hooligan fishing

I just heard from a guy who knows a guy who's brother supposedly lives in Valdez...lol...

Really, that's all true. Word is there are hooligan right now in the Robe River (or is it the Lowe?)...any locals have the truth? My wife is native and can't get enough hooligan. We almost filled an entire freezer last summer and they're about gone now.

Thanks for any info/verification or whatever the opposite of verification is......

CS

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I just heard from a guy who knows a guy who's brother supposedly lives in Valdez...lol...

Really, that's all true. Word is there are hooligan right now in the Robe River (or is it the Lowe?)...any locals have the truth? My wife is native and can't get enough hooligan. We almost filled an entire freezer last summer and they're about gone now.

Thanks for any info/verification or whatever the opposite of verification is......

CS

hmm....I've never heard that before. The Robe runs pretty clear, so I would bet they would be in the Lowe River if anything. If anyone would know, I'm sure it would be Dave....maybe he can chime in.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Yes

We caught tons of hooligan all through out that area including the Robe. As a kid I lived on what they called the “loop road” in Valdez and would walk down through old town Valdez and catch buckets full at night with a lantern and a make shift net walking the streams…just scoop them up. If Dave doesn’t pipe in here I can call a friend who still lives on Loop Road and ask him what’s running.

Hmmm...I've been wanting to do this for an episode of TV...my sister lives there also...I could call her.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    We caught tons of hooligan all through out that area including the Robe. As a kid I lived on what they called the “loop road” in Valdez and would walk down through old town Valdez and catch buckets full at night with a lantern and a make shift net walking the streams…just scoop them up. If Dave doesn’t pipe in here I can call a friend who still lives on Loop Road and ask him what’s running.

Hmmm...I've been wanting to do this for an episode of TV...my sister lives there also...I could call her.
    Did you catch them in the middle of winter, too? I'm used to them having a spring run and then they're gone. Been in Anchorage too long, I guess. Thanks for the info, and chime in if you find out more.

I'll be there at the end of the month for a couple of days. Maybe if I can wiggle some free time in I could surprise my wife with some fresh fish.

Off-topic, but where's a good cheap place to stay? lol

Default Interesting thread

Wow, i grew up in valdez and this is the first time i have ever heard of hooligan in the robe/lowe. Thats not to say that they werent/arent there. As kid i spent about half of my summers in a canoe on the robe catching salmon and dollies and never knowingly saw any other type of fish. tdelarm about what year was it that you caught the hooligan? The reason i ask is because i know at some point before my time that corbin creek was diverted out of robe lake and now flows into what is called the glacier stream. I have heard that the reason for this was to avoid flooding Robe river subdivision. Anyhow, I know this had a major impact on the salmon runs in the robe and i was wondering if it hurt the hooligan as well?

Steelhead

Default Early 70s

Steelhead 125,

Fishied for hooligan early 70's in the winter time with my stepdad who had lived in old town Valdez before the earthquake. I don't remember which time of the year but I'll ask. A lot of the smaller streams scattered throughout the end of the Valdez bay would have them laying around and we'd get 3 to 6 maybe in a bunch. This isn't big net dipping like at 20-mile Anchorge. This was night lantern walking the streams with a small home made dip net. I honestly couldn't say what's there anymore but I'll find out.

When did you live in Valdez?

Default 1990-2004

Tdelarm,
    Thanks for the info. I lived in Valdez from 1990-2004 minus a couple winters for college. I tried to do some research on the internet about hooligan in pws but couldnt find much except that there are hooligan in pws which i didnt know. since you caught those hooligan in the winter that might explain why i never saw/heard of them. My fishing was pretty much done in these rivers by mid sep. and started at the earliest in late april or early may.

Steelhead

Default Cordova also

Coho Slayer,

Just got word the hooligan fishing may be better right now in Cordova. Confirming that and also the Valdez info. Will let you know.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Coho Slayer,

Just got word the hooligan fishing may be better right now in Cordova. Confirming that and also the Valdez info. Will let you know.

-Tim
    Thanks Tim.

It's not critical right now to me, I'm more curious now then anything. There's a possiblity of moving to Valdez for my family, so I'm scoping things out. I will be there a couple days at the end of the month, but it's business and I probably won't get a chance to fish anyway.

I still do want to know when hooligan are available there, though. Thanks a lot for the info, and keep up the good work with the show!

Dave...you out there? I need your local knowledge on this. I'll be there in two weeks and need to know if it's worth packing nets and buckets along with my work clothes....

Default Yes

Hey I am here but in the back ground quite a bit. My well pump froze and I am at the girlfriends house for a bit. I can also no longer access the site from work ??? New websense program to protect the kiddies I guess. I am also just recovering for a sleep disorder that has had me..... well..... looking and feeling like a zombie.

But I am around checking the post via email.

Holligan? Sorry I have never tried for them and don't know anyone that has. I will ask around though. Honest answer though!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

That's the best kind of answer...thanks. I've been hearing stories, and not sure what to believe.

Sorry about your troubles...hope it works out soon for ya'!

The adroumous fish catalog doesn't have a hooligan run listed in valdez arm
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The adroumous fish catalog doesn't have a hooligan run listed in valdez arm
    Yup, it really seems to be dependent on who you talk to. Still trying to verify one way or another if they are there.

Cool OK

Guys,

You can slice it and dice it anyway you want...but I'm telling you I grew up in Valdez as a kid in the 70's and we caught Hooligan all the time during the winter. Now...yes...that was a long time ago and I don't know what's there now...but then again...we used to fish a herring run in Valdez as well and that's gone so who knows.

I don't care about any ole fish catalog. I'm telling you from experience as I've done it but I'm an old timer and don't know probably 90% of the people that live in Valdez anymore so I wouldn't expect them to know what was available back then either. Maybe its all changed...wouldn't surprise me...a lot of the streams I used to fish there are gone also.

Coho slayer...you said it wasn't critical so I didn't make the call...but I can still do that if you need the info. Just give me the word.

Tim

Tim,

I took you at your word about it, don't get me wrong. And a lot of folks simply don't target hooligan, so they would have no reason to know. I just keep hearing different things, so it's hard to know what it's actually like now. I know a lot of things have changed over the years...I've been here fishing since the mid-70's, when you could go to the Russian River and see maybe a dozen people all day. Look at it now.

Heck, I remember fishing Montana Creek for silvers when it was still almost an unknown fishery. I could go on and on. Jim Creek used to actually be quiet and peaceful for fishing....lol

Anyway, I appreciate your info and trusted it to be accurate. Daveinthebush just doesn't fish for hooligan, so he'd have no reason to know. Maybe the streams have changed...who knows...things change, sometimes because people screw them up and sometimes because that's just ma' nature doing her thing.

If you want to make the call, I'd appreciate it, if for no other reason then just to know...so we'd all know, now...what the real story is. It could be one of those secret gems of a fishery that nobody knows about because it's over-shadowed by the awesome salt-water fishing.

Thanks,

CS