Thread: Elimination of Non-Res. Caribou Hunting

Default Elimination of Non-Res. Caribou Hunting

I am hearing rumors of banning non-residents from hunting Caribou in certain areas of Alaska, in particular area 17B. Is anybody hearing anything different?

Default Go ahead and bash me

but if the population of any species in any area in alaska isn't high enough to support the equal hunting opportunities of all residents then there shouldn't be any hunting allowed for that species in that area for ANYONE! I feel the same way about fish species. I'm not sure personally of the bou populations strength in unit 17, but as I said "ANY SPECIES IN ANY AREA"
    Of course this is only MY opinion and I'm sure there are some who will bash me for it.

Default Corridor

I believe (emphasis on believe, I haven't checked lately) there's a 2-mile corridor on either side of the main rivers in 17B, where hunting is open to residents only, or perhaps non-residents only with some type of permit.

I have no probs with this, especially in Alaska as some people who live there rely on moose and caribou for their meat.

There are better places to hunt caribou right now than 17B, unless you know some spots....think Western Arctic herd, but too late for this year.

Thank you for the tip, I am planning on hunting Moose in 17B this year and just heard the talk about the Caribou and wondering what anyone might know for sure, thanks again.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Keppel View Post
    Thank you for the tip, I am planning on hunting Moose in 17B this year and just heard the talk about the Caribou and wondering what anyone might know for sure, thanks again.

John
    Well - if you're a non-resident, I believe the 2-mile corridor on each bank of the major rivers in 17B is closed to moose hunting. Gusuk1 would know if he's online, he lives out that way and keeps up with the regs for that area.

Chris - is the 2-mile corridor on each bank of the Nush, the Mulchatna, and the other rivers still in effect?

Default 2 mile

The two mile corridor is in effect. Look back at my prior posts in the last two yeras to see how poor 17B has become.
    Dennis
    AK TAGS

Will do, thanks Dennis.

John

Default Rhetorical question...

I know this is a rhetorical question, however is there enough game in any single tract of land to provide good hunting opportunity for every hunter in the US, all at the same time or close too? I'm a firm believer that residents should be given greater priority with regard to use of fish and game resources, in any state and am offended by the comment at the top of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by dakin120 View Post
    I'm a firm believer that residents should be given greater priority with regard to use of fish and game resources,....
    Although im not offende by the post, i wholeheartedly agree

My Father ended up in Alaska in 1945 after the 2nd world war. Me and both of my brothers and sister were born and raised there. I'm the only one that left to make a living outside.

I come back every summer and fall for fishing and hunting. When we choose an area that is resident only I become a packer. One moose is plenty for my brother and I. I don't like being denied a hunt but rules are rules and we have to live with that or everyone suffers.