Thread: Whassuh 25 O/6 Good fer?

Default Whassuh 25 O/6 Good fer?

I originally bought this 25 0/6 for my son when he was 13 or so. I figured we would go deer hunting together. However, it looks as though the gene pool somehow made a mistake and he's not interested in hunting. A few months ago he owed me a bit of money and couldn't pay me back. Not wanting to let him go scott free, I asked if he would part with the rifle in lieu of payment. It's a Browning A-Bolt II with the Boss system, topped with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 VXIII scope, never even been fired. I'm thinking it would be the perfect caribou gun, maybe more. Anyone got one? Any thoughts?

I don't have one but a friend did. It would make a great caribou rifle with heavier bullets. It would be fantastic for blacktails. Its very flat shooting.

That is what I use my 25-06 for, except it is a TC Encore Pro-Hunter with the same scope on top. I think you are right, it is a great setup for caribou.

It's a good gun to take for caribou I think too! A friend who knows a friend takes his out moose hunting using only the heavier bullets. I have one but haven't taken anything with it and the mind to use it for caribou. It's very close to the .243 if you compare them. It looks like the longer, 26" barrel, is the test model though to use and beat the .243 however.

Sorry about the mistake in the Gene Pool, he's missing out on the fun of hunting and shooting sports.

Default Ammo

With light bullets of proper construction it should make a very good heavy varmint rifle. Change ammo and it will work as a deer, sheep, caribou rifle. Keep shooting !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

25/06 is great for Bou's on down to yotes. Great blacktail round

With the right bullets you can shoot anything that wouldn't want to eat you. Not my choice, but I know a fellow who uses one for moose as it was the only left hander he could find. 120 Nosler partition will do for moose/elk. Not enough bullet for texas heart shots but if you want to eat it that is good advice for any cartridge.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default damb kids

fox on up, with right shot placement and barnesTSX.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Caribou, sheep, deer, coyotes, wolves...etc. Mine has only taken prairie dogs and pronghorns thus far, but it did that with authority, and at some pretty good distances!

I use 75 grain V-Max for dogs and 100 Hornady interlock for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperrick View Post
    I originally bought this 25 0/6 for my son when he was 13 or so. I figured we would go deer hunting together. However, it looks as though the gene pool somehow made a mistake and he's not interested in hunting. A few months ago he owed me a bit of money and couldn't pay me back. Not wanting to let him go scott free, I asked if he would part with the rifle in lieu of payment. It's a Browning A-Bolt II with the Boss system, topped with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 VXIII scope, never even been fired. I'm thinking it would be the perfect caribou gun, maybe more. Anyone got one? Any thoughts?
    I can relate to the Gene Pool comment. My son, now 19, has been at my side hunting since he was 4. A month ago he said he did not want to hunt anymore. I was devastated, still am. He still likes to shoot so I am hoping it is just a phase. I told him, hey I am 56 and and while have spent many many years hunting remotely days on end alone I do it now because I enjoy being with him and passing my knowledge on and was too old to start another family, although the though does have some merit.
    It used to be about chasing and outwitting game but for the last 10 years it was all about him. Shame you never got to shoot the 06 though, whats up with that? LOL!

My 25-06 has served well on sheep but hasn't made it out for caribou yet. For sheep I have had great success with 117 grain Hornady boattails and I'm sure they would be fine on caribou also. Try some different bullets to figure out what it likes and go hunting.

Thumbs up good but not perfect

I do not have one, but, owned one in the past. I agree it would be fine for Caribou. However, I do not think its perfect for Caribou.

Even though the ballistics are flat enough, I think it is good only to 250-300 yards (power wise) for Caribou, and only fair to marginal past that.

When I say ONLY to 250-300 yards, I say it for the guys who like to shoot further. I am not amoungst them.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default the 25-06 is a lot of gun

Look, the 25-06 would be an Excellent cartridge for 'bou. Old Roy Weatherby concidered his .257 Wby. his favorite cartridge. Now, I Do have one and It is Nothing like the .243 Win, but rather it's much more like the 270 Win. Because I run the velocities up to 3400+, I only use premium type bullets. When a 100 grain Nosler Partition hits one of out larger Northern Whitetails, the front portion of the bullet explodes and blows shards of lead through the vitals while the incased rear portion exits with authority... lots of it! Because of this combination (think of it as a varmint round for 200 lb. varmints), I have always gotten multiple exit holes. If I were you, and had the chance to go after these Caribou with this cartridge, I would load the 100 grain Barnes TSX to a velocity of around 3350, or the Barnes 115 to a velocity of 3100-3200 and bring a sharp knife. Trust me, the 25-05 (I shoot the Ackley improved version) is a lot of gun for 400 lb. animals on down, and because of it's velocity...use a quality bullet that will not only expand, but that will maintain it's core for incredable penetration. You won't be disapointed with this cartridge, and probably come away thinking it's the "perfect" caribou load!

Default great rifle!

I have shot 3 elk, half a dozen pronghorn, a dozen deer, a caribou and a Dall sheep, Worked wonders on all of them. Flat shooting tack driving rifle you can't go wrong with for caribou!!

Default 25/06

My 13 yo son shot a black bear and a cow moose w/ mine this past hunting season. The moose dropped right in her tracks.

The venerable 25-06 is one of the best rifles ever made. Its not my first choice for moose and such but for sheep, goats, deer and that size game its a great choice. While you can kill moose and boo with one and for a youngster it may be a good choice but for me being 6'3 300 i would pick a larger caliber. It is one of the best rifles ever made!

Thanks so much for the comments guys. I bought the rifle for my son, remembering the raving that Jim Carmichael did about the round. I have a 7mm mag in the exact same config (except mine has a longer barrel and a couple of lbs heavier) as the 25 0/6. I guess I need to find me somebody that can load some cartridges for me now. I don't have a reloader and it's not in the budget for some time. If anybody would like to make some up for me like 358wsm suggested, I'll be glad to do business with you. I'm in Seward but I'll be coming to rondy either the first or second weekend; probably the second so we can squeeze in the start of the Iditarod too, LOL. Maybe we can meet up there.

No need to reload, I have used federal premium 25-06 stuff for years and have had great results. I keep switching back and forth between the 100grain barnes triple shock and 115grain partition. They both work excellent, but if I had to pick one it would be the barnes.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default Miguel makes a good point...

Quote Originally Posted by trapperrick View Post
    Thanks so much for the comments guys. I bought the rifle for my son, remembering the raving that Jim Carmichael did about the round. I have a 7mm mag in the exact same config (except mine has a longer barrel and a couple of lbs heavier) as the 25 0/6. I guess I need to find me somebody that can load some cartridges for me now. I don't have a reloader and it's not in the budget for some time. If anybody would like to make some up for me like 358wsm suggested, I'll be glad to do business with you. I'm in Seward but I'll be coming to rondy either the first or second weekend; probably the second so we can squeeze in the start of the Iditarod too, LOL. Maybe we can meet up there.
    Trapper, I think you can see by the reports given by those who either hunt with the cartridge, or have seen the results of its use on various species of game, that it is a real harvester. I would like to suggest again that you use a Premium bullet, Not because the cartridge is lacking, but because the stress put upon a bullet that impacts at such high velocity is,well...violent. If you cannot go the slightly less costly route of reloading (finding someone to load for you), I would seriously look at Federals "Vital-Shok" load as Miguel has stated. And I would lean heavy toward the 100 grain Triple Shock Bullet. As you probably already know, we can reduce bullet weight with this type of bullet by up to 25% for what we once concidered "correct" with common "cup and core" type of bullets. So, what I'm trying to give you here is "confidence" and I'm telling you that you can expect terrific performance with that cartridge on Caribou. I'm hoping you can locate someone to load for you up there. Let me know how things work out.