Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does it work here?

Default How does it work here?

I have heard so many conflicting things about hunting up here I don't know what is accurate. How does it work here? Just buy a moose tag and hunt during the season on any public land? Is it the same way for bear, deer, and so on? Is it more like a raffle to hunt? Is there any truth to if you haven't hunted in AK before you must hunt with someone who has first? I'm lost and have no idea what is fact. When are the seasons for big game? Can someone please clear this up for me please. Thanks

Doug, read the regs first on what you can glean off of it.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting

Then ask questions if you are confused. But be careful. Some on the forum look as though you should know all the rules and such, even if you are a newbie.

I am not sure how that works, as I am a newbie too, and some people are becoming increasingly rude.

I guess they should have a newbie thread...

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    I have heard so many conflicting things about hunting up here I don't know what is accurate. How does it work here? Just buy a moose tag and hunt during the season on any public land? Is it the same way for bear, deer, and so on? Is it more like a raffle to hunt? Is there any truth to if you haven't hunted in AK before you must hunt with someone who has first? I'm lost and have no idea what is fact. When are the seasons for big game? Can someone please clear this up for me please. Thanks
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Easiest way to get started on hunting up here in AK is to go and get a reg book and start reading. Then once you finish start over again, do that about 3 or 4 times..lol I have been hunting up here for a while now and still carry a reg book with me on all hunts. The reg book will explain A LOT. Good Luck!! If you don't understand the regs first or second time don't get frustrated, it takes a while. You can get the reg books at Sportsman's or even on base there at outdoor rec if they have any.

Thanks for the info. Well as with most forums people get tired of replying to the same questions over and over. Which I understand, but if the same people came to Indiana where I have always hunted they would need help too. So it's like that everywhere. Thanks again.

ADF&G website has all the info you are looking for. If you want me to read the regulations to you I can do that for $100 per hour, which is cheaper than what I bill out to my customers for. Its a deal, but cash only.

Read the basic regulations about hunting in AK. Then consider the following.

First know where you want to try to hunt.

Look up regs for that area.

Determine what species you want to hunt.

If in the military go to your on base wildlife folks and they will provide you a bunch of information and maybe even read the regulations to you for free.

Your best bet is to begin by reading the regs, which you can find online. Some areas are permit only, most aren't. There are restrictions for non residents. Read the regs. Then you'll know what questions to ask. Have fun!

First off I recommend reading the Alaska State hunting regulation cover to cover at least twice. That will answer most of your questions. In addition to the general season there are both draw and registration hunts. After you have read the regs ask your more specific questions here. Don't forget that access is King and it is your responsibility to know who owns the land your on. I would start by taking smaller bites. Decide what animal you want to hunt them decide on a game management unit GMU. Alaska also has some hunter education requirements that apply to some hunts. Research is a must IMHO.
    Link to online regs
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting

Welcome and good luck

Steve

Guess we all were writing at the same time.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

LOL! Not trying to hammer you with my post Doug! You didn't have any replies when I started typing! Guess I'm just slow, but everyone gave you good advice.

No hard feelings I do have the reg book and have read it ONCE need to read it a few more times. lol Thanks everyone for the replies. I am not Active Duty my wife is and I'm in the Guard so I am a resident. Just felt a little swamped with all the rules and regs not used to so much stuff to filter through.

Doug - First off, welcome to Alaska and the forums. I'd say that 99% of the people who regularly post on here are very kind and helpful, so please don't hesitate to ask questions, even if they've been asked before. That's one of the primary purposes of this site, so fire away.

If you'd like to sit down over a cup of coffee or a pint of beer to discuss hunting in Alaska, I'm always up for it. If you're up for driving the 10 miles out to Eagle River, I'd be happy to help you figure out the regulations, some basics on what animals live where, and how to get started in planning your hunting adventures. We were all new to this at one time or another, so I'm always happy to help someone get their bearings. Let me know if you're interested - the coffee or beer is on me.

I would take Brian's offer, would be well worth your time. I live in North Pole, but love to talk hunting and would be happy to chat with you, will PM my number.

Steve
    Founding Member

Go have a Beer! Though it has never helped my confusion, I stilll have another to see if it will clear things up....and then I have another....~LOL!~

Most Confusion begins with the crossing of Game managment boundries. Seems its a unit by unit with who, what and how much.

Good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I almost wonder if it would be easier to do a guided hunt. You know, pay someone who knows the rules and locations to hunt and all I have to do is shoot. lol Never been a fan of that though. Not a big fan of cleaning or processing either, but love to eat em. I've only killed one whitetail and it was a 100 lbs. So I'm eager to get something a little more substantial up here either moose, bear or deer. Heard there are goats up here too is that correct? And I might have to take you up on that beer. lol

Even if I hired a guide, I would NEVER count on anyone other than myself to know the rules. If a law is broken on a guided hunt I would say that both the guide and hunter would have some liability. As a hunter it is my responsibility know and follow all games laws.
    Guided moose hunts range from 8000 to 12000 dollars, cheaper to read and understand the rules for yourself.

Yes we have goats.

Be careful

Steve
    Founding Member

One option if you'd like to have things mostly laid out for you would be to go through a hunt planner. There are a few folks out there, but the only one I know personally is Michael Strahan, the owner of this site. He offers hunt planning through his Lost Creek Company. I haven't personally used his services, but many on here have and I've heard nothing but positive reports. He'll help you pick a species, dates, location, air service, provide you with maps, packing lists, instruction on meat care, etc. etc. etc. Might not be a bad option for a first hunt, then the next time you'll have it mostly figured out.

Default Options

I dont know if he still has them but Chris Batin use to hold Hunting Seminar's, one in Fairbanks and one in A-town, Talk to him at the Sportsmans show. The $100, I spent a dozen years back, really has saved me thousands of dollars over the years. Also, there are several good books out there.

Terry

Default Regs?

I have read the regs several times each year and still end up confused. The way I handle it is to pick a species, area, and time of year. Then I go to the F&G office on Rasberry and Cst in Anchorage and ask them the questions I have. Then I try and contact the Troopers in the area I'm interested in and ask them also. While asking both F&G and the Troopers I am also cross checking the regs to make sure any questions I possibly have are asked. After doing all this I ask those who have hunted the same species in the same area and cross check their answers with answers I have already got. Then when out in the field I stick strictly to what I know for a fact. If any situation is questionable I avoid it completely! When I first started hunting here in AK, I made friends with those who have them same ethics as I do and planned hunts with them to get my "feet wet".

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    I have read the regs several times each year and still end up confused. The way I handle it is to pick a species, area, and time of year. Then I go to the F&G office on Rasberry and Cst in Anchorage and ask them the questions I have. Then I try and contact the Troopers in the area I'm interested in and ask them also. While asking both F&G and the Troopers I am also cross checking the regs to make sure any questions I possibly have are asked. After doing all this I ask those who have hunted the same species in the same area and cross check their answers with answers I have already got. Then when out in the field I stick strictly to what I know for a fact. If any situation is questionable I avoid it completely! When I first started hunting here in AK, I made friends with those who have them same ethics as I do and planned hunts with them to get my "feet wet".
    Wow that's a lot of checking and triple checking. Sounds complicated to hunt up here. I'm used to having deer season in november every year with the same bag limits and it rarely changes. Sounds simple there here is a lot of work. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Wow that's a lot of checking and triple checking. Sounds complicated to hunt up here. I'm used to having deer season in november every year with the same bag limits and it rarely changes. Sounds simple there here is a lot of work. Thanks for the info.
    Well, for $1,500.00 per day you don't have to worry about anything. And you will learn a lot...........

Default Don't want to sound

like I'm trying to scare you off! Once you get your "feet wet" and get into a routine for understanding the regs here it is unbeleiveable! The opportunities are great if you apply yourself. And the rewards are great!

I grew up on a farm in Michigan and we had a crop damage permit. For our family members who lived on the farm there was NO LIMIT and NO CLOSED SEASON for deer. It was nothing to take over 50 deer a year, so hunting regs weren't of that much imortance to me as long as I was on my own land(which we had 1600 acres of). I would keep the deer harvested in the fall/winter for our freezer until it was full. The rest went to our local butcher who always gave ANY meat he had extra of and ALL wild game to local charities or those whom he or his customers knew personally that were in a financial crunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast