Thread: Clearwater Airstrip/Susitna Landing

Default Clearwater Airstrip/Susitna Landing

What does a guy have to do to get an old airstrip back up and working? The Clearwater Airstrip is within walking distance of my place, and I would like to clean the brush that has grown it over and get it ready for service to get people in and out of my place. It is on BLM land.

Is there a bunch of legal hoops to go through?

I may be able to use the Susitna Landing strip, but that's 8 miles down the road, and I believe it's owned by the Valdez Mining Company, but not sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Clearwater Airstrip/Susitna Landing

is this the same airstrip you're talking about?
    http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/images...AGRAMS/Z86.gif
    http://www.airnav.com/airport/Z86

Did the BLM close the airstrip?
    Will they allow it to be reopened?
    Are you willing to foot the bill to reopen it?
    Good luck we need more airstrip/airports

Have you talked to your Insurance Co.

Default Yep!

Yep, that's the one. Z86. I think you've given me enough information to get started on how to get it re-opened. If anyone has tackled that process, I would appreciate any knowledge. I would be more then willing to foot the bill on clearing the brush, cleaning the rocks out and smoothing it out. I would be glad to do whatever else it took. I'll check with my insurance company, but I sure don't want to be responsible for what happens on public land. If that's the case, I'm sure I can't afford to buy the insurance it takes for that.

Thanks again!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default idea

If it were me, and I know it is truly on BLM land, I'd run down there and clear the brush back and use it. I'm not a lawyer for the record. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    If it were me, and I know it is truly on BLM land, I'd run down there and clear the brush back and use it. I'm not a lawyer for the record. Good luck.
    Well, that is what I would do also, Only I would never admit to maintaining the runway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Well, that is what I would do also, Only I would never admit to maintaining the runway.
    Or admit to using it at all.

Funny thing about brush and the like. It receeds from the Moose eating on it and what with it being on BLM land, who are you to be able to have any control over who does or does not use it?
    It would be entertaining to see what would happen if we had a multi-ship "have to take a leak or check the oil" stop for say, an afternoon.
    Deny all involvement

Anyone here know the state of this strip this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have any info on the legal aspect but I would be up for helping do the clearing. its always nice to see areas re-opened.

Brush it we will come!
    Tim

So it looks like it shows on the Sectional as an Unverified airport, but in a slightly different location, right along the road instead of just South of it as it shows on Google Earth.

According to AOPA: Unverified: It is available for public use but pilots should use caution because there is a lack of current information on the field conditions and/or the available information shows peculiar operating limitations.

Seems like BLM or anyone maintaining it would not be liable, probably would just need permission from BLM to clear brush, it appears it never actually closed.

I'd be up for helping.