Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The crying has all ready started.

Default The crying has all ready started.

Permits have yet to even be awarded & we have people all ready whining. If you do not like the system move back to the lower 48! You can have your preference points & once in a life time tags. Here in AK everyone has a fair & equal chance. I have had times of drought & times of drawing multiple tags. I too get frustrated when I know people have drawn a tag more than once or on thier first try on a species in a particular area & I am still waiting for my first crack. That is just the luck of the DRAW. You take the good w/ the bad. The system will not be perfect for everyone, but I think it serves us all fairly. Even if I do not draw a GOLDEN tag today I will still hunt w/ someone who has, go on a general hunt, or a registration hunt. I wish everyone the best of luck.
    I personally get more frustrated over the people that draw the tags & have no clue what it is for.---- "I drew DS120 can anyone tell me anything about this permit?" I love that!

Justin, maybe you need to step away from the coffee, or get outside and do something.
    "If you don't like the system move back to the lower 48"??
    Kinda harsh, but I guess you made your point. I think
    Good luck on the draw.
    Last edited by Alasken; 02-06-2009 at 12:34. Reason: shpelling
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Permits have yet to even be awarded & we have people all ready whining. If you do not like the system move back to the lower 48! You can have your preference points & once in a life time tags. Here in AK everyone has a fair & equal chance. I have had times of drought & times of drawing multiple tags. I too get frustrated when I know people have drawn a tag more than once or on thier first try on a species in a particular area & I am still waiting for my first crack. That is just the luck of the DRAW. You take the good w/ the bad. The system will not be perfect for everyone, but I think it serves us all fairly. Even if I do not draw a GOLDEN tag today I will still hunt w/ someone who has, go on a general hunt, or a registration hunt. I wish everyone the best of luck.
    I personally get more frustrated over the people that draw the tags & have no clue what it is for.---- "I drew DS120 can anyone tell me anything about this permit?" I love that!
    LOL.........and this is how it all gets started. If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is!! Good luck to everyone today!

lol i gotta admit when someone draws a tag then starts to ask about it and realizes they can't do the hunt...that burns me up a bit. Thats a waste of a tag for someone who actually woulda used it.
    Promote research BEFORE applying...
    i didn't even apply this year....its the economy...ya thats it and gas prices
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

As a former alaska resident of 20 years and someone who applies for hunts in 15 states every year I agree with everything that Justin said.

Alaska does not need a point system it would be a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    lol i gotta admit when someone draws a tag then starts to ask about it and realizes they can't do the hunt...that burns me up a bit. Thats a waste of a tag for someone who actually woulda used it.
    Promote research BEFORE applying...
    i didn't even apply this year....its the economy...ya thats it and gas prices
    You're pretty smart........for a guide. (big smiley face goes here)
    - Frank Zappa

lol alaskan if you've only got one marble in your head, make it the best dang marble ever!!

at least i didn't apply cause i didn't know the suppliment was out...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

NICE! So, me being a beginning Hunter who draws and has the regs in front of her and is still kinda confizzled about it, can't come in here and ask a questions concerning it? Good thing I didn't put in for one this year huh!

Wow... how very Alaskan of you. Maybe it is you who needs a vacation. Go tanning, might help with that cabin fever.

Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    lol alaskan if you've only got one marble in your head, make it the best dang marble ever!!

at least i didn't apply cause i didn't know the suppliment was out...
    yeah, even a small marble. thanks for not applying. now i can get my ds### and figure out how to hunt.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Education

People just dont want to hear about someone putting in for tags with zero information about the hunt. Some folks dont even know where the hunt is, they just catch wind of something good and apply.

Many people already have a plan if they draw or have spent time in the area or have networked enough information to provide themselves with several options should they draw. It irks me a bit when people go in blind and start the research afterwards but more often than not thats likely the case. If I dont have a plan, I dont apply. Good luck, wont be long now! Man, I hope im as lucky as I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    NICE! So, me being a beginning Hunter who draws and has the regs in front of her and is still kinda confizzled about it, can't come in here and ask a questions concerning it? Good thing I didn't put in for one this year huh!

Wow... how very Alaskan of you. Maybe it is you who needs a vacation. Go tanning, might help with that cabin fever.

Have a great day!
    upinak, he has a valid point. Before applying for a permit you should do everything you can in researching the particular tags that you want to put in for, that way you know if it's feasible or not.

Personally, I won't put in for tags that I don't know anything about because the logistics could be beyond my means. If there is an hunt that I want to try then I'll look into it to see what it will take to do that hunt should I draw it. I'd love to put in for bison but I know I would not hunt them if I drew because I prefer moose hunting instead and we cannot use all that meat.

You'll see it happen though, once the results come out, there will be those asking about a certain area because they know nothing about it. I'd bet that most that ask that question end up not using that tag. It's a shame because someone else could have drawn it and used it instead of it going to waste. I hope this clears things up a bit.

Default Lower 48

I never came from the lesser 48, where am I gonna go back too?

Have a great day!
    I personally know two guys that drew muskox permits for the Feb Mar 09 time frame. Neither of them will be hunting because they didnt research the costs first. Permits wasted once again

Hunter45, Hunter02,

Not that I am bagging on the older and obviously more experienced hunters. I know better then to get a permit before I find out the complete cost, of anything. But that is something someone explained to me before I even was concidering hunting. Always find out the cost.

Being the fact I can make a penny scream as well, I am learning quite a bit of information due to the threads but again you have to remember then "newbies" won't understand all the lingo associated with hunting.

I won't get a permit unless I know I have everything from the gear to the ATV or if I am with friends and helping out with the costs.

Also hunter02, I wouldn't go for a muskox (as much as the meat makes my mouth water) as I just do not have the room and it is too large an animal. It also isn't fair to other hunters who want to bag one. I have thought about the consequences ..... I am not out to just get a permit and then wonder HTF I am suppose to get the animal if I can't 1. get out there 2. ship it home or 3. how much meat it actually will be... not including the cape and the horns.

I am starting small and working my way up as it should be.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    I personally know two guys that drew muskox permits for the Feb Mar 09 time frame. Neither of them will be hunting because they didnt research the costs first. Permits wasted once again
    Not if they put money into the departments budget.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Not if they put money into the departments budget.
    I'm sure that $20 will go a long ways too......

Default Go figure

Don't know why everyone cries about who puts in for what. F&G figures into the equation, the average amount of people who normally dont hunt. Which inturn increases your chances.

Terry

Default Money

I have no problem with people pissing thier money away, Im sure Ive pissed my $30.00 away again this year, but at least if do draw something I know I can use the permit. A few days from now this will all be behind us anwyay

Default dont think so

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Don't know why everyone cries about who puts in for what. F&G figures into the equation, the average amount of people who normally dont hunt. Which inturn increases your chances.

Terry
    Im sure F/G factors some not using thier permits for various reasons, but it doesnt really increase your chances, well maybe on some like FMA moose, many use that draw as a back up incase they harvest a bull, but the hot ones like TOK, DCUA sheep hunts, very few permits go unused, and those few that didnt get used wouldnt increase my chances of drawing one way or the other. Percentages are just too low for it too matter.

Default Different View

Hunter45, Hunter02,

Not that I am bagging on the older and obviously more experienced hunters. I know better then to get a permit before I find out the complete cost, of anything. .
    I will be one of those hunters asking questions about an area if I draw a tag. Why??
    I applied for over 25 years in Montana for Moose and Sheep and did not draw a tag. I know where the next record Shiras Moose is as well as some "BOOK" Sheep are in Montana. I spend years in the field there.
    Now I am here in Alaska and at almost 50 have explored little of this country. Before applying for the tags I did, I have done some "Paper" research to know that the hunt is do-able. When I draw the tag that's when I go into gear. Flying,floating or hiking in to prepare myself for the upcoming hunt. Money is no longer an issue.
    Many of you native Alaskans have the advantage of years worth of growing up and exploring area's. You know or have a good idea of where to hunt and where to apply. All I can do is apply and get to know the area through preseason scouting if I have drawn a tag.
    Ahhhh to be in my 20's again and grow up in Alaska
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast