Thread: Moving to Alaska

Default Moving to Alaska

I will be moving to Anchorage in May of this year. I am coming from Indiana where fishing is somewhat limited to what you all may be used to. I have grown up fishing small lakes around Indiana for Bass, Bluegill, and Catfish. I am very excited to start my fishing experiences in Alaska, and I was wondering where I could find information on gear, places to fish around Anchorage, different fishing seasons, and some overall pointers to get use to fishing in the last frontier. If anyone could help to point me in the direction of some general knowledge on fishing in Alaska so I can hit the ground running in May I would greatly appreciate it.

Eagle River, AK

zpiercy - Welcome aboard! You're going to love it here if you're an avid fisherman, and you're also going to love this site. For general information, really one of the best things you can do is come here daily and read the new threads. As we head towards spring people will start talking areas, techniques, and gear that should give you a general idea of what to expect. Spend some hours going through the old threads as well. Go back and read through info posted last summer from June-August. That should give you a good idea of what happens when and where.

If you're looking for books, the store here carries a bunch of good fishing titles. One of the best sellers here is The Highway Angler, which covers gear and techniques for a huge variety of road-accessible fisheries. This one book alone will go a long way towards answering your questions. Another good one is [url= Fishing: The Ultimate Anglers Guide[/url]. This one also covers a huge amount of material, and includes run charts that will help you plan what to target during various times of the year.

One last note on gear: Don't buy any until you get here. The folks at your local shops can sell you stuff, but there is no substitute for local knowledge. When you get here, hit the small local shops and you'll be set up in no time.

Default Lots to do for anglers in Alaska

I also hail from Indiana, and have been in Homer, Alaska for 15 years now (although I lived in Washington and Oregon the past 20 after leaving the midwest). What part of Indiana are you from?

You will have a great time getting familiar with the fishing scene up here. Very diverse opportunities - everything from saltwater trolling, to fly fishing mountain lakes. Check out the Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game website for Sportfish, Region 2. Lots of great info there. And, be sure to stop in at the Anchorage F&G office to check out the visitor center where you can pick up lots of free literature.

Good luck getting settled in and hooking your first salmon.

soon to be back in Alaska

There are lots of books and magazines that will help, but one of the best resources is the fish and game website.
    and game website.
    Wildlife notebook series:
    Sport fishing regs for SC:
    and the emergency order page.
    Fishing reports:
    Local stocked lakes
    Run timing

Lots of great info if you dig into it. Fish and game here actually helps hunters and fishers.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

These guys have offered some great references to read from, here's a few things I noticed when I moved up.

1. Salmon runs are very time sensitive...and brief in some places, so planning accordingly is important to maximize your odds (it's not like southern areas where bass, crappies, etc are available year round...sometimes I miss that...Like in February But ice fishing is fun, relaxing and can be productive as well.

2. good weather gear is essential, it may rain everywhere, but up here it rains at 45...and that's just nasty unless you are buttoned up.

3. Access isn't as easy as it is in other places....a lack of roads makes it hard to spread all of us out, so some areas require lots of patience and some areas (the quiet ones) just require a lot of effort...both are fun.

Not that any of these things detract from what fishing in Alaska's just different and folks need to know that before coming's still more than worth it and welcome and enjoy.

And you wil love the backdrop (scenery) you are makes any skunking a fantastic day. Fish start feeling like just a bonus.

between wasilla and palmer

Make sure you understand the regs. Alaska fishing regs tend to be more complcated then they are in most other states. each system has its own set of regs.

Fairbanks, AK

In addition to the book, "The Highway Angler" by Gunnar Pedersen, I recommend "The Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide" by the same author. Tons of good info.

As the others have said, getting to know the regulations by area is a must. In the regs, brush up on the definitions; ie. what is "single-hook", etc. That will save you a headache and will keep you in the good graces of ADF&G (Dept of Fish/Game). They do not play when it comes to regulation violations.

Kotzebue, Alaska

Default Flyfishers Guide to Alaska

This book has information for on and off the road system. Fly Out Destinations, River and Lake Info. It is a great source of information. The author is Scott Haugen. You can even buy it from this site.

Fish On!