Thread: Best late season, Registration Goat

Default Best late season, Registration Goat

Hello all,
    Well Im am going to hunt goats somewhere, I was thinking unit 6D, but I am open for suggestions. I will have to hunt late, well like many of my buddies I am deployed and wont be back til late september. If everything works out, and I get to take leave, it will be somewhere between mid OCT-DEC. I will be fully prepared for the worst weather known to man, I really want to get out. I plan on 14 days. I am looking for direction from those who have hunted later in the yr for goats. Im looking for a drop off charter, It will probibly have to be by boat, weather will limit me. I have poked around at the idea of going into units 1,4,and 5. I dont really have much info on these areas. I would appreciate any info in possible charters, and units.

Big Lake

i could be wrong, but don't most of 6D close by early oct? i was down there this last fall and alot of 6d was closed by then...if i remember correctly. might wanna look farther down the coast past some bio's, the cordova bio, dave crowley should be a good source for local info down in that neck of the woods.
    best of luck
    daylight will be the problem not the weather...unless of course its visibility. Cordova had 3-4 feet of snow last year mid oct, goat hunts were short and painfull with goats right on the very tops of the mountains. i know four guys went out, shot one and came home. Just wasn't safe or fun or enjoyable or even tolerable. i waited till third week and most melted off, shot mine on a quick 5 hour hunt.
    Master guide 212

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States

Default checkout kodiak

476, and 477 near Old Harbor
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs