Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: catamarans

Default catamarans

I,m looking at a 30x11 alluminum catamaran with walk around cabin and twin 300 etecs seems to fit the bill with lots of fishing space and a nice cabin,dont have any experience with cats and was wondering if anybody had any comments. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    I,m looking at a 30x11 alluminum catamaran with walk around cabin and twin 300 etecs seems to fit the bill with lots of fishing space and a nice cabin,dont have any experience with cats and was wondering if anybody had any comments. thanks.
    A friend of mine had a 34 foot Armstrong cat with twin volvo diesels. Fast, stable and very efficient. He absolutely loved it. I would supect that re-sale may be more difficult than a monohull, but if you plan on keeping it for the duration, this should not be an issue. One thing to consider on the e-tecs is the amount of 2-stroke oil you will be burning. That stuff is expensive!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

thanks for the info I,m not sure on motors yet.

Default etecs

anybody out there running etecs and how much oil do they use i,m paying 45 per gallon for my snowmachine oil!! scary, also does anybody know if there are any towing issues to expect with 11' wide? thanks.

I'd love to have one. They are great! I would go with a four stroke if I could though. I really like the cats because of the large, roomy area that they have in front thanks to the double hulls. I think I would love the Seasport one if I had enough green......So, someday I will settle for the Tomcat 25 by C-dory. Oh well.....

We own a 25 foot Tomcat by cdory and love the thing. It's fast, very stable, and rides like a dream through anything up to 3-4 foot chop. Anything above that you gotta slow down(most boats do anyway.) Its not as great on fuel as I thought it was going to be, but still above 2mpg. Some trips we were getting around 3.

It has a lot more noise while underway because the way the hull is designed, theres all that water running under the center of the boat. The tomcat doesnt have any insolation or sound dampening on the inside though. I would expect the armstrong cat to have some carpeting at least.

Over all its a great style of boat and I would think the 11 foot beam would be amazing on a cat. Ours is 8.5' but it feels like 9.5'. Ive seen pictures of the Armstrong and I really like their boats. Maybe in a few years

Is there a specific reason why you want a 30' Aluminum? I'd look at Blackfeather Catamarans made in Juneau. They have built a cat that runs out of Seward with beaching keels to drop off clients (if that is why you want aluminum). But there is no denying that any heavy welded Aluminum boat is pretty bad assk. A totally new vaccuum infused Blackfeather gets phenominal fuel economy and can be had for $150ish to $230ish depending on model.

My neighbor has a big twin aluminum boat that has twin 225 Evinrudes and he buys his two stroke oil by the 55 gal drum because it is cheaper than buy the gallon... lots cheaper.

Sobie2

The Blackfeathers do seem to be very nice. For what it's worth, I believe it's the same hull (hulls?) as the Tomcat. Heard Blackfeather purchased the mold from Tomcat.

Before buying a cat, strongly recommend you give it a good sea trial. They ride and handle quite differently than monohulls. Some people love them, some don't.

To answer your question about towing, you will need a pilot car with radios to do it legally. If all goes as expected, the limit for a wide load without a pilot car in AK will moce from 10' to 10'6" this spring, but that won't help you (unless you just want to lie a bit less).

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    The Blackfeathers do seem to be very nice. For what it's worth, I believe it's the same hull (hulls?) as the Tomcat. Heard Blackfeather purchased the mold from Tomcat.

Before buying a cat, strongly recommend you give it a good sea trial. They ride and handle quite differently than monohulls. Some people love them, some don't.

You are right about the Tomcat and Blackfeather similarities. But, Tomcat isn't a company, it is model of the C-Dory line of boats. And, while they have many great boats, the Tomcat is a very special one and I love it....I will be sticking with my CD 22 for some though as I really like it No question about it, a cat is the way to go.

I have a 26' Glacier Bay Catamaran. The wife and I absolutely love it. The ride is outstanding and the stability is second to none. Ours is powered with twin Honda 4 strokes (my personal outboards of choice) and they are efficient and very quiet. I would personally stay away from the 2 strokes, just because of the expense of the oil. I have to run that expensive 2 stroke oil in my snowmachine and it gets $$$$. I would not want to have that added expense in a boat....there is just no need for it.

The wife and I both get sea sick fairly easy, which is why we decided on a catamaran. I looked at all of them and was not at all impressed with the Tomcat. It seemed crowded and a bit shy on good quality workmanship...but that is my opinion looked at them on the lot, and never being on one on the water.

I would have gone with an aluminum hull (probably Armstrong) in the 32 foot range, if money were no object. I would choose aluminum just for a bit of piece of mind running in the Sound with all the rocks. With that said, you will not want to beach a big 32 footer for too long with the changing tide. You would probably do what we did, and buy a dingy for running to shore.

The fiberglass has a softer ride, and to me seems to warm-up more in the sunshine...and hold it's heat longer. Maybe that is just me, but it seems so over my previous aluminum boat. Glass is heavier, so it gives you a softer more quiet ride. Mine has the complete (Alaskan bulkhead) hard top with hard door. With the door shut, it is very quiet. You hear almost no engine noise and only hear the water splashing around you. It is very cozy and relaxing!!!

The catamaran is a different creature. It takes some getting use to, and I am definitely still learning on mine. It handles differently, and to me is mostly an advantage. One thing I have found is when the waves get bigger, you have to zig and zag a bit more to get to your destination. Depending on the wave direction...sometimes you can hit them pretty straight on, but sometimes you have to zig if they are coming at the wrong angle. I would say this is the biggest downfall to the catamaran. But, the positive advantages out way this is my opinion....as there are always trade-offs!!

We love the catamaran!! Best thing to do is look at all the boats you like and make your own decision. Get on a catamaran for a day ride and see what you like. I'll be glad to take you out on a day run ....if Summer ever gets here !!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default oil cost?

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    One thing to consider on the e-tecs is the amount of 2-stroke oil you will be burning. That stuff is expensive!
    Just curious, Does a person who can afford to buy a 30ft X 11ft catameran really care about the cost of oil?

good point, on the etecs no maintenance for 3 years and performance and fuel economy allthough its nice not having to add oil. Will fly out and do a thorough sea trial before ordering, thanks for the input.

anybody out there running etecs and how much oil do they use i,m paying 45 per gallon for my snowmachine oil!! scary, also does anybody know if there are any towing issues to expect with 11' wide? thanks.
    Etec's can be set up by your dealer to use TCW III 2 stroke oil. This stuff costs about $42 a case at Costco. Case contains 3 gallons. Expect to use about one gallon of oil for every 70 gallons or so of gas run through each motor.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by slow reflection View Post
    Just curious, Does a person who can afford to buy a 30ft X 11ft catameran really care about the cost of oil?
    Touché Suppose you are right on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    One thing I have found is when the waves get bigger, you have to zig and zag a bit more to get to your destination. Depending on the wave direction...sometimes you can hit them pretty straight on, but sometimes you have to zig if they are coming at the wrong angle. I would say this is the biggest downfall to the catamaran. But, the positive advantages out way this is my opinion....as there are always trade-offs!!

AkBillyBow

I'll agree with that one. On the tomcat a 3 foot wave, maybe 4 is about as big as we can go straight into. Anything bigger than that it pounds so you have to zig zag. If the seas are following, we've gone in some 4-5 footers at 28mph just fine, but heading into them is a different story.

And I think we saw you guys last summer our first time out. Sometime in August out by night island. Good lookin boat you got there

How about a 34' glaciercraft with triple 250 4 strokes?

How about a 34' glaciercraft with triple 250 4 strokes?
    Are you talking about this one: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1023903868.html

I have been through this boat. Lots of room, lots of bells and whistles, and lots of speed. The sound system will rival any teenagers. I think a pair of F350's would be a better match than the trips, but they were not available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Are you talking about this one: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1023903868.html

I have been through this boat. Lots of room, lots of bells and whistles, and lots of speed. The sound system will rival any teenagers. I think a pair of F350's would be a better match than the trips, but they were not available yet.
    Yes thats it, Iwasn't planning on that big a boat allthough isn't bigger better and canyou ever have to much HP? Glaciercrafts boat show discount runs through the end of this week I had them price out a 28' pretty well set up and the price seemed pretty reasonable, what size is your boat and how do you like it? were they good to work with?

Yes thats it, Iwasn't planning on that big a boat allthough isn't bigger better and canyou ever have to much HP? Glaciercrafts boat show discount runs through the end of this week I had them price out a 28' pretty well set up and the price seemed pretty reasonable, what size is your boat and how do you like it? were they good to work with?
    He calls mine a 29x10, but she ended up being over 30. Last year was our first season on the water after being off the water for two. These boats handle the snot better than any other I have been on. If it were me, I would make an offer on CL boat. It may be a "pink elephant" with the trips. I suspect that the price is negotiable nad then you could be on the water this spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast