Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tackle maintenance

Default Tackle maintenance

What does everyone do to their tackle/tackle boxes when putting them up for the winter? I am getting tired of opening my box in the spring to find many hooks rusted and spinner blades tarnished.

Last year I sprayed everything down with WD-40 before putting the box up. The tackle was in better shape this spring, but it still wasn't as shiny as when I put it up.

I have even thought about emptying the box and hanging the lures on the wall in my garage!

Anyone have any sure fire way's of keeping things looking new?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I would bet winterizing tackle to most would consist of the rats nest in the top compartment of the tackle box intertwined with monofilament line, spoons, spinners, flies, yarn, and spare hooks holding a consistent breadth until next spring when the bite is on, again.

Default Right under your nose...

I am of the opinion that the major contributor to rusting and oxidation is air and the moisture in it. Might I suggest the following?

1. wash, rinse, dry, spray, and wipe clean your lures
    2. get some hook guards and cover the barbs (you can use cotton balls as
    well)
    3. take your vacuum processor (you do own one, don't you?) and suck up
    your terminals for seasonal storage

Like I said, the solution is already there for you. Hope this assists...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

I haven't experienced any problems with rusting and tarnishing of tackle while its stored over the winter. However, by keeping my gear in a heated garage, I don't have to contend with the moisture issue as much as folks who may be packing away their stuff in sheds or other outdoor structures.

This thread got me to thinking about how to properly care for fishing gear after its been used in saltwater. To avoid corrosion of my reels, rod guides, hooks and lures, I've always made a point of spraying down everything with freshwater from a backyard hose within 24 hours of use.

Never had any trouble with just straight water, but a friend recommends employing Simple Green and sponge during the process. What's your take on a quick and easy method for preserving equipment that's been fished in the salt?

At the end of the season, I put my tackle boxes in my heated garage and open their lids to let everything dry out. Then shut the lids. Then when I'm sick and tired of winter and want to be fishing, I open the tackle boxes and dream of fishing as I use Brasso or other cleaner to clean my tackle

Thumbs up Good idea

My boxes are airing out in the garage as we speak. Invariably there is an egg loop with wet yarn or something that gets left in the box which is probably my rust causing culprit. I always keep them inside, but haven't bothered to "air" them out prior to putting them up. Maybe this year will be different. I'm tired of having to replace hooks/lures every spring when they were just fine the previous fall!
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I guess I never thought to much about winterizing tackle. Mine has always been stored in the garage. Sometimes there are minor problems due to neglect and somtimes not. As I was reading through the posts the thought that came to mind was after washing/cleaning your tackle you could add a desciccant pack to your box to absorb any moisture through the winter.

Default coolers

And as you're getting things put away for winter, how many of you opened up that cooler that's been sitting outside only to find that you forgot to clean it the last time you brought home fish in it

In the spring I tack my reel to this shop off of Artic and internationl rd.
    They do a good job.
    During the season I keep them cleam rising them with fresh water and lube them best I can.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Great topic

I just finished up the prelim tackle storage for the season. Few tricks of the trade that I use to insure my livelihood is still intacked next season is:
    -All gear that was used in the water is seperated from the new or unused and dried than stored in seperate container
    -anything with signs of rust is referbished or tossed in box to be looked at later in the winter....or in all reality taking space and usually tossed out later when box becomes to full!!
    -Reels are always stripped of Mono and lubed and most important the DRAGS are loosened all the way back....tension creates problems after long periods of storage....kind of like that threma rest that has been sitting in the upper shelf for way tooo long
    -if it saw salt at any point in the season I make sure it is seperated from the fresh water gear and washed..wipped...and dried completely...luckily this is not my line of work and do not have to deal with it all that often
    -Simple green works great on rods to clean of (in my case) egg gooo or other invasive particles
    __Lemon Joy works wonders to clean and santise plugs!!!!lures and other terminal gear throughout the season and after
    ---Crest Toothpaste will bring the shine out of even the worst looking dog terd of a plug...although those are usually the ones that catch the most fish...an old mentor of mine always told me you could catch a King on a dog terd if it was colored GREEN
    -WD on all tools of the trade and wiped down after good work out....pliers, forceps. NOT REELS I like to lube with Quantums newer red hot lub...etc...

In summary CLEAN clean...dry DRY and seperate old from new and that helps me in the spring put fresh tackle on those first Kings in May....well hopefully April!!!!!
    Keep em Jumpin

Default good ideas!

I hadn't thought about backing off the drags on my reels. The toothpaste idea is something that I'll have to try on a few wiggle warts and kwikfish!

Keep the ideas coming!
    AKmud

Regular crest none of that fancy stuff that makes your teeth tingle!! I always wonder if my clients think I use the same toothbrush after they see me pollish off a large Nissan thermos of coffe

Talking Soda!

As a youngin - the ol'man used to bring home old used and abused lures and jigs that were given to him by guys at work (parents couldn't afford to outfit 3 boys for fishing and put food on the table at the same time!). We normally weren't allowed to drink soda, but we soaked those lures in it for a short period of time as our first step in the "cleaning process". The acid and carbination (a assume) broke up all of the grime and rust. A little bit of scrubbing (with our sister's toothbrush) and whooola...brand new bass baggin critter!

Keeps the kids out of the dentist office too...How much soda do you think I drink after seeing what that soda did to those lures?? Unless of course it is mixed with my favorite "Captain" or some of Coral's "Jack"

Joshua

Default And...

be sure to rinse them off with hot, hot, hot water...mom always said that if you use hot water to rinse dishes they will dry much quicker (we hated doing dishes and we needed all of the encouragement we could get!)...ma was right about the dishes and the same theory applies to your fishing gear. It's not really a theory, it's called evaporation and it's an amazing process.

Dry, dry, dry! With rags, then air, then forced air. We hung them above the woodstove then, but now I use compressed air and then an hour (or even day) in front of a fan on slow speed. Now I even go as far as cleaning all of my boxes the same way and then sealing all of the lures inside, along with the little dampness reducing packets (can't think of the chemical name off the top of my head right now). These darn little things are amazing. You can find um anywhere. They come in almost everything you buy...clothes pockets, binos, anything metal, etc. or you can buy them in bulk online...I will get the brand I use and post it later.

By the way, colgate toothpaste does do wonders! Alive 25 years and not one cavity...another proven fact that fishing is healthy! hm,hm,hm

desciccant pack

This is Coral - the "hm, hm, hm" at the end of Josh's most recent post is him chuckling to himself. :-)

I think the recurring message here is that tackle maintenance is a year-round activity and the best advice is for anglers to thoroughly dry their gear after every trip to keep it in good working condition.

If everything is free of moisture when finally put away for the winter, the likelihood of rusting and tarnishing is greatly diminished.

Regardless, the toothpaste, soda and desiccant packs are great ideas for keeping lures and hooks looking pristine.

As for Lemon Joy and WD-40, I've heard a lot of people not only praise these products for their intended applications, but also as effective fish-catching scents.

I just make sure everything is dry by leaving the box open a day or two and then throw in a couple of VpCI emitters to keep the rust away.

They work wonderfully in gun cases and safes too.

http://www.rustbloc.com
    Now what ?

I have not known of this winterizing process since I buy just enough lures to make it through the season since I loose most of them looking for the bigums. I loose a lot of lures on snags, that is why I mainly use a single hook and yarn now. Pixee's and vibrax's are way too expensive, unless Freddies runs a sale.

If I remember right they had by two at half price and get the third three.

I use a hair dryer to dry my tackle box and lures before I store them for the winter. I also keep terminal tackle seperated by new and used. I cut off all egg loops and yarn. I will retie my lures some were around Christmas time when I have the itch to fish. I will also take my reels into the Tackle Repair Shop off of Arctic. Once I tie up my salmon leaders I will store them in the refrigerator to keep the monofilamont from dry rotting.

Very good ideas on this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast