Thread: Marine survey

Default Marine survey

Who will give a fair assement. And a real price of what a boat should sell for ? Thanks

Default Hmmm...

I give up...Who?

Just 'funnin'' with ya... and - Welcome Aboard!
    Doc

Just remember its only some guys opinion !!! 3 different surveys 3 different values.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

The real value is what two ol boys can get togeather on!

Default tru statements...

Survey's can be a bit subjective... However, a $100 investment for a mechanic to give the motor a thorough going over is money well spent.

A few years back I was "in the market"... Before I signed the bottom line I had a mechanic go through the engine... Best $150 I've ever spent. The motor was a bad motor and barely hanging on.

On a separate boat I paid Silver Streak boats in Anchorage to give me a full marine survey. It was straight forward and at the time worth it. Since then I did my own research and learned I could have saved this money by just shopping around, talking with dealers and owners.

Default professional boat broker

Realistically, I would feel most confident in an active boat broker's assessment. He is the best one who knows the actual market, has seen enough boats of a similar nature to make a fair comparison and can also best recommend both a good mechanic and surveyor. Plus, his reputation and future of his business is on the line to make both the buyer and seller satisfied. Typically, he will get a percentage for his efforts, but if you value your time, that may be well worth it. Trusting anyone that is not a professional ends up being a crap shoot, in my opinion. In any case, good luck!

In April '08 we used Colin Daugherty w/ Up and Under Marine Services in Anchorage. Phone 907-529-6025. Our lender required one. He charged $13/ft plus. He seemed to know his stuff. Good luck!

A real SAMS accredited (Society of American Marine Surveyors) survey will have a valuation, and overall safety and condition evaluation. The value placed on a boat is determined by pricing guides, comparisons of other boats on the market, and prices of similar boats sold. Banks usually accept a survey if it is within 6 months. The condition and safety valuation is worth the price of a survey regardless of the number the surveyor offers on the boat. I can think of one instance where a commercial fishermen was going to buy a steel boat fishing boat, everything looked great until an ultrasound of the hull revelad that the boat was built with to thin steel. On diesel boats the surveyor ought to have an engine oil analysis run (gives an indication of the condition of the expensive marine diesel engine). 2 stroke outboards used to have a lifespan on 1000-1500 hrs before needing powerheads, newer outboard engines both 2 and 4 stroke can have thousands of hours.

At any rate a good survey no matter who does it or their credentials who is worth their salt will go over the whole boat with a fine tooth combe. When ever possible a boat is given a in water testing, and a haul out... but up north that can be difficult.

AK Dimond, you need to tell the forum where you are located for anyone to give a recommendation.

Sobie2

[quote=AK DIMOND;427250]Who will give a fair assement. And a real price of what a boat should sell for ? I LIVE IN ANCHORAGE AND THE BOAT IS A JETLINE ALMAR Thanks.

Thank's for all the in put , tight lines. ><>

Default value?

Don`t buy used stuff!

Default tru statement

buying new... You know exactly what you are getting... Ripped off!

Default Marine survey HA

Bought my first boat two years ago. Had a marine survey done because I knew I did not know S***. Well the surveyor did either Even got the make of the boat wrong. Found a lot of problems that the surveyor should have found for me. As far as I am concerned I'll never have another. Worthless.

Question surveyor accredited?

was the surveyor accredited? If so, did you do due diligence to realize who you were hiring? Check references? Buying used obviously does allow for more risk, and typically comes without a guarantee, but does not necessarily mean a great deal can not be realized.

Talking Survey

I have not had personal experience with a surveyor, but a friend of mine had some bad experience. He had a boat surveyed before he bought it in Seattle and on his trip back to Alaska up the inside passage, the boat sank. It took on water in the engine compartment and sank within 30 minutes. There was no way to go back after the surveyor. The boat was never recovered and it is unknown why it sank. Thank goodness he had taken out insurance and had proper safety gear as he spent the night in his dingy before being picked up by the CG the next morning.

Default Oh ya Buy New

Not every one has a good enough job to buy new and sell for less later, so that self rightious statement is only good if you must keep up with the Jones. My self I go thru the boat myself and look at it for what it is. Nothing to say that next week the oil pan is not going to rust out even if a Certified Survey is done. And there is nothing to go back on a Survey on, it an opinion of the boats condition, it's on board equipment. Sinking could of been as simple as the boat had been out of the water for a few years, a small crack in the fiberglass let water in the wood swelled up like a bull frog and she opened up. Happened to me once!

A new boat loses between 10%-20% of its value in the first year. I'd prefer someone else lose that money.

Both the boats I've bought were used--a 26' Osprey and my current 30' SeaSport. The Opsrey was three years old when I bought it and in immaculate condition. I ran it for three years and sold it for more than I paid for it.

The Seasport was two years old when I bought it and also in immaculate condition. The engines only had 70 hours on them. I paid $80K less than I would have paid for a new boat (a savings of around 28%).

Although I had a marine survey done on both boats, I didn't rely just on the survey. I also relied heavily on my own eyes and what they told me about the boat and how well it had been maintained. I also met and spoke with both prior owners at some length. In both cases it was obvious to me the prior owner knew his boat and had taken great care of it.

So, my approach has been to buy used, but only boats that are two or three years old (have already lost most of their depreciated value) and are in near-new condition and have been very well maintained. It's worked well for me, and saved me lots of money.