Thread: Survival type knife/spear head.

Default Survival type knife/spear head.

Here is a new "survival knife/spear head" I have been working on this winter.
    They are made out of some of the hardest stainless I have ever got a hold of. I burned up 3 HS drill bits trying to drill one hole in the first one. This is why I had to go with the tie on notch.
    I wrap the tang with 1/8" diamond braid nylon cordage. 16' works real well. It can be unwound to use for ataching the spear head to a pole/stick. The cordage is also a major plus in many other situations.
    Let me know what you all think.

Ken

Looks good! I like the design of it, handy thing to toss in the truck toolbox.

Don't know if you know this or not, but most don't so I will just post it up.
    You should be able to anneal that stainless by getting it read hot in a wood stove, and then let it cool very slowly in the ashes over night as the fire burns out. The slower it cools the softer it will get, shoot for 10 hours or more and 24 hours will get it about as soft as it will ever get. Do your drilling, filing, and grinding without getting it hot so it wonít get hard on you.

When its done heat it slowly and evenly with a touch or in the stove and allow it to air cool hanging from a wire in a 60 to 75 degree room to harden it back up. That process is called ďnormalizingĒ and is all the modern stainless steel should need to hold an edge. Older steels like high carbon tool steel must be tempered and that is a different process. You can check is it got hard enough with a file, a file will just barely cut a good ax type chopping edge and wonít cut a knifes edge at all. Use a place on the file that is little used like the last teeth at the tang since the test is hard on your file.

Keep up the good work!
    Andy

Thanks Andy!

Default Looks great!!

Really like the spear design, that barb shouldn't slip out of even the biggest trout. Very practical and functional knife indeed! and you surely can not have too much good, strong twine in the field!
    Great work!
    IMHO........
    A REAL survival knife is one you might actually have with you at the moment survival begins! All the Rambo specials in the world won't do you much good if they were left home in the knife drawer because they were too heavy to bother carrying
    Glad to see folks showing different things in this new forum, I think it will really catch on!
    I have a few more posts to make here also if I get off my ***** and take some pics.

Ken, Nice work.

Thank you!

Have you come up with a sheath idea for it yet?

It would be way more practical than the Rambo things. Its so perfectly simple that I canít think of a single design improvement and thatís donít happen to me very often!! I got to repeet, great idea Ken!

Andy

Just a thought ... Silver solder works great for knife handle attachments too... no holes required and its strong.

That's what I used before when I made homemade knifes.
    Cut off and slot a Bolthead, silver solder the slot to the knife handle then slide a wooden or whatever handle you have down the bolt shaft and put a nut on the end...I used pewter medal to cover the nut.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I have made one change. I am making more today and I am going to move the notch up to the hilt area. I find that it will be easier to tie on to a pole with the notch up higher. Plus there will be less chance of the cordage slipping off the head when trying to pull a salmon in.
    I will post some pics of the new ones this evening.

I have thought of a sheeth. But really aint had no time to work on them.
    It will be just a simple little hunting type sheeth.

I learned a long time ago from a very respectful trapper in IN, he said "Keep it simple, don't complicate things." That has stuck with me for years now, and I use that in everything I do.

As for the handles, I am not looking to make these like a regular knife. The cordage is used for the survival asspect. It is there to tie the spear head onto a shaft for making the spear. Also for any other emergancy uses.

Thanks so much for the input!

More to come later tonight.

Ken

Here is one I made today.
    I changed to notch to the center. I tried the top, but it was too week and bent.

16' of cordage is plenty for tieing on the spear head. You even have plenty left over to run up the shaft and make a hand loop.

Here is a better shot of the spear.

Very cool.......if you make one and want to sell it for a reasonable price, I would like to have one.

Thanks!

I have a few I could sell.
    PM me for details.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by trapperken2000 View Post
    I have made one change. I am making more today and I am going to move the notch up to the hilt area. I find that it will be easier to tie on to a pole with the notch up higher. Plus there will be less chance of the cordage slipping off the head when trying to pull a salmon in.
    I will post some pics of the new ones this evening.

I have thought of a sheeth. But really aint had no time to work on them.
    It will be just a simple little hunting type sheeth.

I learned a long time ago from a very respectful trapper in IN, he said "Keep it simple, don't complicate things." That has stuck with me for years now, and I use that in everything I do.

As for the handles, I am not looking to make these like a regular knife. The cordage is used for the survival asspect. It is there to tie the spear head onto a shaft for making the spear. Also for any other emergancy uses.

Thanks so much for the input!

More to come later tonight.

Ken
    Ken:
    Something you might like to try for the handles is artificial sinew, it is like 20x dental floss strength, has a slightly tacky wax finish that sticks to itself well and really doesn't even have to be tied off at the end, and you could probably get 35-50 feet in place of the 16' you have now, not to mention it comes in colors also, if you'd like to try some PM me your address and i'll send you some to try.
    It is some of the best survival cordage I have used.

I know exactly what you are talking about, I use to keep a 1,000' roll here. I think I gave it to a boy a year or two ago though. Might be a good idea for someone to do that buys one. For now I will stay with the 1/8" nylon braid, I got plenty of it here already.

Thanks for the input!

Ken

I have made several items similar to this. Your work is great. I have placed several notches down both sides of the tang for more ease and versatility. Just an idea. I good idea to use thinner carbon too. Lighter and easier to sharpen. Not so good around salt water though. Just ideas.