Thread: shipping guns in state

Default shipping guns in state

i have a bolt action rifle i want to ship to a village how do i get it there?

i called around the gun shops today and it seems that i can just ship in the mail long guns and shot guns so that should be easy

Default Mailing Long Guns

If you are going to mail one up for your use then address it from yourself to yourself. You can do 'care of' c/o someone else, but they can't open the package.

If you are mailing it to someone else for a permanent transfer then it needs to be sent to a licensed FFL, even in state. The only instate that is exempt is face-to-face. Some will argue that mailed guns in state don't require an FFL, but the ATF interpretation was that ONLY F-T-F transactions are exempt.

Quote Originally Posted by aktrapper View Post
    If you are going to mail one up for your use then address it from yourself to yourself. You can do 'care of' c/o someone else, but they can't open the package.

If you are mailing it to someone else for a permanent transfer then it needs to be sent to a licensed FFL, even in state. The only instate that is exempt is face-to-face. Some will argue that mailed guns in state don't require an FFL, but the ATF interpretation was that ONLY F-T-F transactions are exempt.
    Really? I wasn't aware of that F-T-F only with long guns. There are no Ak state restrictions are there. How does the ATF intervene in individual transfers, I though there was a gun show loop-hole. Please explain.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default F-T-F Transfers

Murphy,

The interpretation I got from the ATF (caveat that you can probably get ten answers from ten people) was that F-T-F transfers do not require an FFL process.

If you mail a gun to anyone other than yourself it must be sent through a FFL who must log it in as recieved and then fill out the 4473 for whoever picks it up.

I have heard people state that a gun mailed to an individual in the same state counts as a F-T-F transfer, but that was NOT the BATF agent's interpretation.

If you mail a gun to anyone other than yourself it must be sent through a FFL who must log it in as recieved and then fill out the 4473 for whoever picks it up.

I have heard people state that a gun mailed to an individual in the same state counts as a F-T-F transfer, but that was NOT the BATF agent's interpretation.
    That is incorrect. A nonlicensee may mail a long gun to a resident of his or her state or to a licensee in any state. This is question B8 in the 2000 FFL Regulations Reference Guide.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Correction

I was wrong, here it is straight off the ATF website:

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

I was wrong, here it is straight off the ATF website:

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
    Thanks very much. I was beginnig to doubt my own memory, I am getting old. But that is the way I recall what I read some tome ago. Within the state must be followed. Believe it or not I bust my arse to follow all the little CS rules and regs as I persue my hobby.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Had a good rifle mailed to me last year...in-state by USPS...

This fits with above discussion. As I understand this US Postal Svc regulation, long guns are OK by domestic mail. See ref: http://pe.usps.gov/search/jsp/search/vv_docread.jsp?k2dockey=http%3A%2F%2Fpe.usps.com%2 Ftext%2Fqsg300%2FQ601.htm%40PE_QSG300_HTML_5&serve rSpec=56.0.145.56:9920&QueryParser=Simple&querytex t=(firearms)&dtype=2#hit0

This ref details nonmailables (handguns, short guns) and exceptions:
    http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065405

One more: Here's excerpt from: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065442
    11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.
    11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.

Good luck.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=417036