Thread: Defenders of Wildlife....

Default Defenders of Wildlife....

listen to this http://media.kska.org/2009/cf-20090204.mp3

Defenders of Wildlife may not be a one dimensional anti-hunting organization in Alaska anymore. Seems like they may be more allied with resident hunters than the commercial hunting industry is.

Lightbulb

AVANANCHE

...link is not working for me...
    prob might be me, Im traveling...
    Do you have time for a brief summery of what it says. (If not I can wait a week.)

Avalanche, do you plan on attending the Fairbanks BCSS board meeting in mid March?

Dennis
    AK TAGS

i'd like a summary too, was gonna take my computer and hour to open that link...no thanks.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

They are the PETA of Wildlife and worse the GreenPeace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_of_Wildlife

http://www.defenders.org/

They were about Trapping, but have branched out. They also have lobbiests that work in D.C. with PETA. They are also the ones who are pushing for the polar Bears to get on the endangered species act.

This 501c3 org is a BAD deal.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    AVANANCHE

...link is not working for me...
    prob might be me, Im traveling...
    Do you have time for a brief summery of what it says. (If not I can wait a week.)

Avalanche, do you plan on attending the Fairbanks BCSS board meeting in mid March?

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    It's an hour long radio show so I don't think I can do it justice to summarize it. There was hardly a word about predator control.

The main topics seemed to be about the DNR hunting concessions program, resident hunting opportunity, transporters, establishing one guide board to include all class of guides, the osewicheck decision.....

It's was worth listening to I thought.

Ohh...I hope to be wolf hunting in unit 9 in March. I wont be in Fairbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_of_Wildlife

http://www.defenders.org/

They were about Trapping, but have branched out. They also have lobbiests that work in D.C. with PETA. They are also the ones who are pushing for the polar Bears to get on the endangered species act.

This 501c3 org is a BAD deal.
    I think you mean the C4 branch of Defenders is a bad deal. There the ones with the affiliations and lobbiest in DC. As far as I know the C4 doesn't have a lobbiest in Alaska.

The C3 is what is in Alaska and represented on the show....like I said I think that's how it is. Not sure though.

If you didn't listen to the show you might try that.

Default Defenders of Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    I have never seen them associate with Peta myself. Seems to me they always push scientific justifications for managing wildlife. While I'm a hunter I too agree with allot of the issues they raise.

Lets manage with the best available science and benefit all Alaskans.

I listened to the show and thought the rep there from defenders was supporting resident hunters big time. You should listen too.

Default I agree

I agree that they really seemed to support the Average Alaskan, I think his name is Joe hunter. And I like that they seemed to be stressing that the Commercial guys and F & G, started this concession process before we Joe's got to put in any input. So is the Enemy of our Enemies are friend?

Terry

Default Thanks for the post

A good listen makes one ponder who can help who.
    Thanks Av I woulda missed it if not for your post you have been strangly quiet lately

Default Ahhhhhhhhhh

Terry (and everyone),
    DNR and DF&G and BGCSB and APHA got this deal cooking without any input from anybody. Joe Hunter was never consulted in any way....and contracting guide-outfitters were not largly aware or contacted or consulted in any way either...never!

These BGCSB meetings are the only way any of us have found out anything. Nothing in writing has ever been distributed to anybody for any input, no-time nowhere.

I do not know what else to say, 'cause I know so little of what is really going on.

I can not believe I'm saying this but I can not wait to get to a good internet connection to hear this DOW discussion.

Sincerely,
    Dennis
    AK TAGS

I have met a few of the DOW people through work. They were obnoxious and very rude. The "scientific studies" they claim to go off of is more of a ruse then anything, as well as poorly documented and did not have a name of the person doing the report. Most Biologists usually put a name to a report or study they are doing, especially if it was a multiple study with multiple people.

When one told me that the Caribou were dieing. I said that was interesting, and then showed this woman the pictures I had of the caribou giving birth under a pipeline and asked her if that looked like it was dieing. She stormed off and had some other guy come in a week later.

You all can tolerate what you want concerning these individuals. I have had my share and I am still not impressed.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

I have NOTHING good to say about DOW, based in DC.

Bottom line, I value hunting, and support future generations of hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    I have NOTHING good to say about DOW, based in DC.

Bottom line, I value hunting, and support future generations of hunters.
    Did you listen to the C3 guy's testimony on the community forum?

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    A good listen makes one ponder who can help who.
    Thanks Av I woulda missed it if not for your post you have been strangly quiet lately
    You bet A1...and ya with the session cranking up I have been real bz.

Default Defenders of Wildlife Info

Began as anti-ranching group opposed to predator control, developed into grant-driven operation headed by wealthy urbanites and well-positioned academics generally opposed to rural development. Has long record of questionable practices such as the 1994 case of pretending friendliness to property owners in Louisiana's Black Bear Conservation Committee, while quietly filing a lawsuit against the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service demanding that the black bear be listed as an endangered species, then threatening to sue again because the Service had not designated "critical habitat" for the bear, all of which threatened the private property owners who believed Defenders of Wildlife was helping them. The group's membership is unaware of this and many similar deceptions.

Read more at: http://www.undueinfluence.com/defender.htm

Default Good Piece

I listened to it, some good info but nothing I haven't already heard. One thing I do want to comment on though about Wade Willis coments is that he hints the new concession program could be exclusionary to resident hunters. Not true, it only relates to the guides. I sat through the meeting in December and it was pretty good info but this NPR piece is a small bit of the puzzle. Would have been nice to have a BGCSB member there. Wade also railed on about no public input or representation on the board. There are private citezens on there but he is corrent in that there are no non-consumptive groups represented that rely on big game as a revenue source. That said this is a board relating to guides in Alaska so it makes sense to have folks impacted most on the board. It is up to the ADFG to set bag limits and other restrictions if game populations get too low, not the BGCSB. This concession program will cut back on the number of guides I beleive but maybe not on the amont of animals harvested.

Gooch

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I listened to it, some good info but nothing I haven't already heard. One thing I do want to comment on though about Wade Willis coments is that he hints the new concession program could be exclusionary to resident hunters. Not true, it only relates to the guides.
    He did not mean that residents can not hunt inside of these proposed concessions areas.

The program is being promoted by the Guide industry as a program that is "only a hunting guide can buy into" program and that is a bs deal.

DNR has been working on developing it for the benefit of 'only guides' because the Alaska Professional Hunters Association asked Governor Frank to move it forward and then APHA, the BOG, and the BGCSB pressed Governorgirl to provide the follow through.

No public participation, no public input....just APHA running the show to get what they want.

But if the 'program' actually gets to the implementation stage it wont fly as a 'hunting guide" only program.

There is nothing in law that the hunting guide industry, DNR or the State could do to make that 'stick'.

There is nothing in law that the hunting guide industry could make 'stick' that will prevent a handful or even a single resident from putting together his own business and bidding on one of these areas and make it 'his' ....."no guides allowed that concessions area".

Just like there is nothing to prevent an air taxi operator from bidding on an area or even 10 areas and making them a 'no-guide' area AND only that air-taxi can provide commercial transportation to hunters in that area.

There can be no biological reason for these concessions areas. There is no justification that "guiding" or "guided hunting" is necessary or appropriate and nothing about this program is going to provide a means or method of limiting the guiding industry, stand them down when resources are in short supply or collect a slaughter tax for the public resources they depend on and profit from.

There is no practical difference between a guide and a hunter. So, creating a special interest class or user groups (guides) and providing them their own area is no more in compliance with the law than it would be to "exclude" guides.

All this talk about a special use concessions areas is a special interest industry trying once again to get a leg up on all other "hunters".

As I said a guide is no different than a hunter and it's time we hold the BOG, the BGCSB and the legislature accountable and treat them the same as us....they are just hunters; not entitled to any kind of 'special programs'.

I, and many other people are fed up with this kind of stuff....if you can't tell already!!

I sat through the meeting in December and it was pretty good info but this NPR piece is a small bit of the puzzle. Would have been nice to have a BGCSB member there.
    Nellie Moore said right at the opening of the show they were asked more than a few times to show up but refused her invitation every time.

Wade also railed on about no public input or representation on the board. There are private citezens on there but he is corrent in that there are no non-consumptive groups represented that rely on big game as a revenue source. That said this is a board relating to guides in Alaska so it makes sense to have folks impacted most on the board.
    Are you saying that there are no non-consumptive guides who have an interest in big game or that 'their' interest is not as important as those who make profit from actually harvesting public resources?

It is up to the ADFG to set bag limits and other restrictions if game populations get too low, not the BGCSB. This concession program will cut back on the number of guides I beleive but maybe not on the amont of animals harvested.Gooch
    Please explain how this proposed concessions program going to "cut down" on the numbers of guides?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    So is the Enemy of our Enemies are friend?

Terry
    Funny how common that can be in this state...