Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Another hunting site.

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default Another hunting site.

    Just found this site and thought I would share it with you. I like the way they broke their hunting section up. Do you think "our" site should break down our hunting like this? I do!

    http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...owtopic=135907

  2. #2
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    That forum seems to be targeting worldwide hunting, similar to the accuratereloading forums and 24 hour campfire, thus they need more subforums. This forum is Alaska specific and I can't think of a good reason to break things down further. I've been on here for a while now and have only just started to branch out of the hunting forum. I don't need more forums to keep track of! If I need information on moose hunting or some other specific topic I can hit the search feature.

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, it would be good. Save a lot of time for getting to specifics. Some of the lesser used topics need to go away as well. In the coming months/years, the most notable and critical subject dear to us all, GUN CONTROL will be buried in the irrelevant "global discussion" topics and never get fully aired or shared. Maybe it is purposefu, dunno.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Way too much info and threads for me

  5. #5
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Y In the coming months/years, the most notable and critical subject dear to us all, GUN CONTROL
    I'm always uncomfortable when I agree with akres, but I do agree that gun control will be a huge issue in coming years. It will be the major issue. Unfortunately I do not feel that this forum is a hardcore 2nd amendment forum and would suggest lightfighter.net or m4carbine.net as better resources on 2nd amentment issues. Too many hunters feel like their hunting rifles and shotguns will not be subject to more gun control and will let the black rifle folks be the sacrificial lambs.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    If broken down we could have a whats the best all around rifle question for a hundred different critters covering the globe.Greybeard outdoors is a good forum but also very busy.

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default comment

    I would like to have the Alaska Hunting broke into smaller forums. For example one on sheep , moose, caribou etc.... This would make it easier to find what you are looking for and maybe it would also allow this forum to keep old posts longer.

    Every year we talk about the same sheep stuff and if it where easier to find this info and maybe keep some older post/threads availible we wouldn't be repeating ourselves so much.

    Troy

  8. #8
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post

    Every year we talk about the same sheep stuff and if it where easier to find this info and maybe keep some older post/threads availible we wouldn't be repeating ourselves so much.

    Troy
    Yes, but this forum wouldn't be the same unless we have the millionth guy come on with his first post and ask about hunting out of Kotz or where to go get a nice ram.

  9. #9
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    I would like to have the Alaska Hunting broke into smaller forums. For example one on sheep , moose, caribou etc.... This would make it easier to find what you are looking for and maybe it would also allow this forum to keep old posts longer.
    The problem with that is that it would force members to click on 10 different forums every time they just want to stop in and see what's happening. Lots of folks come here daily to read the latest threads. They're not specifically looking for info on a specific animal, but rather want to browse the recent activity. Splitting things up too much makes it more of a hassle for the majority of the members here at any given time. For those looking for specific info, our search feature works quite well.

  10. #10

    Default

    The AODD is fine just the way it is, it's about Alaska and everything Alaskan and should stay that way.

  11. #11
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akhunter45 View Post
    the aodd is fine just the way it is, it's about alaska and everything alaskan and should stay that way.
    +1 on that!

  12. #12
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Way too much info and threads for me
    Yea, I don't want to see 65 forums, I'd never know where to post anything.

    Tim

  13. #13
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Brian has correctly summarized the reasons for not changing the current forum structure.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    1st off, I'm comfortable with things the way they are.

    BUT, maybe another catagory in the shooting forums could be added that would be just 2nd ammendment issues. It is indeed a subject that efects us all.

    As for making it easier to find items relating to a hunting specific species, I propose that we start a new archive system.
    As soon as a post in the "Alaska Hunting" section has been dormant for a week, Brian M. will in his spare time put it into the right archive catagory by species (moose, black bear, goat, etc) to make it easier for us to look back on.
    He could further break it up for the archives by hunt type for each species(Float moose, atv moose, back pack moose, fly in moose, spring bb, fall bb, spot & stalk bb, bb over berries, bb over bait, bb for those only visiting Anchorage with a 2 wheel drive rental car for 3 days, ... ) in some more of his spare time.
    It would sure be a time saver for me & make my life easier!!!
    Vance in AK.

    Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

  15. #15
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    As soon as a post in the "Alaska Hunting" section has been dormant for a week, Brian M. will in his spare time put it into the right archive catagory by species (moose, black bear, goat, etc) to make it easier for us to look back on.
    He could further break it up for the archives by hunt type for each species(Float moose, atv moose, back pack moose, fly in moose, spring bb, fall bb, spot & stalk bb, bb over berries, bb over bait, bb for those only visiting Anchorage with a 2 wheel drive rental car for 3 days, ... ) in some more of his spare time.
    And in the rest of my spare time, Brian M will go to the bank to deposit the $1,000 weekly checks from Vance in AK.

  16. #16
    Member Kay9Cop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    789

    Default

    While I don't necessarily agree with changing the forums, if the only reason not to do it is the below quote, then we should consider changing because that's not a valid argument. Members can just click on the handy-dandy "New Posts" button and see what's happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The problem with that is that it would force members to click on 10 different forums every time they just want to stop in and see what's happening. Lots of folks come here daily to read the latest threads.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    And in the rest of my spare time, Brian M will go to the bank to deposit the $1,000 weekly checks from Vance in AK.
    You'll definetly want to deposit them because cashing them won't work too well
    Vance in AK.

    Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

  18. #18

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    While I don't necessarily agree with changing the forums, if the only reason not to do it is the below quote, then we should consider changing because that's not a valid argument. Members can just click on the handy-dandy "New Posts" button and see what's happening.
    +1
    I figured everyone did this already. Maybe not. But GUN CONTROL threads IMO warrant more credence than burying them in the "Global Discussion" threads, where they hold no relevance or worth.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •