Thread: Turnagain Hiking

Default Turnagain Hiking

Went on a drive out to Turnagain Arm yesterday and saw 6 ewes total. Was wondering what trail I could hike on to get a good look at some of the rams that inhabit the area? Would like it be an out early and back at home by dark. Looking at perfecting hunting techniques while taking great pictures. Thanks
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

The best two trails along Turnagain Arm for accessing sheep habitat are Falls Creek and Rainbow. That being said, I've seen more rams in areas that aren't right next to trails. If you scrambled up those cliffs, though, I bet you could get close to them.

Default Sheep

Another great trail for viewing sheep, including good rams, he the McHugh Creek Trail. After switchbacking up the hilllside the trail levels off and goes back into the valley towards the lake. The first big canyon on the left regularly contains rams up high, and some good ones, in April and May. The trail becomes snowfree sometime in March. The up-hills are great cardio training and the return downhills are good for the quads. The Turnagain Arm Trails, being south facing hillside trails, become snowfree sooner than all the other Anchorage area trails.
    See you there,

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Another great trail for viewing sheep, including good rams, he the McHugh Creek Trail. After switchbacking up the hilllside the trail levels off and goes back into the valley towards the lake. The first big canyon on the left regularly contains rams up high, and some good ones, in April and May. The trail becomes snowfree sometime in March. The up-hills are great cardio training and the return downhills are good for the quads. The Turnagain Arm Trails, being south facing hillside trails, become snowfree sooner than all the other Anchorage area trails.
    See you there,

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    Just for clarification, the entire trail is not snow free at that time. Last summer while hiking to Rabbit Lake on the trail, I encountered a decent amount of snow still on the trail at about mile 5 until reaching the still frozen lake. The time of year was June 30th and it was windy and cold while I was there.

I did see some sheep up on the slopes though. Beautiful trail on sunny days.

Default no snow

Flintlock,
    Thanks on the no snow report... Unless we get a big dump it looks like it is time to move from snowshowing the Anch hillside to the cardio workouts on Turnagain trails. Every year I'm surprised at how early the snow leaves those trails, and every year I say I'll check them sooner.....so...Thanks again for the early update.
    Dennis

Another nice access point to view sheep is at Windy, the trail there connects with Rainbow, most of the sheep above the trail near Windy. The hike up the switchbacks above McHugh are great for cardio and can be done at this time of year.

Bob

I was at McHugh creek yesterday, and broke off the trail pretty early. We ran into a small sheep, and were able to get around him. It was pretty windy, and we came around from above, getting inside of 10 yards before we were busted. It was just a little guy, but it was cool being that close.