Thread: Make your own gear?

Default Make your own gear?

Anybody make their own gear?

When we dogged it, we made our own sleds from Hickory and later outta Spruce.

Made our harnes's outt Caribou hide.

Anyone else make their stuffs from the materials at hand??
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have been finding plans and lots of pictures of different sleds for the last several months to help when I build my own sled.
    The best ones I have been finding for my purpose seams to be the old freight type or gear hauling sleds from years gone by.

How wide & long did "do" you build yours stranger?

Looks like great craftsmansip in that one!

Ken

The Spruce one in the picture was about 30 inches across and 13 feet long. Maby 60 lbs total.
    We had removable(untieable) rear bars.
    It was made for freight an dwith a g pole and tug lines, we walked beside and often pulled with the dogs.We used it in the open Tundra mostly, though we had a 12 foot hickory bent sled as well. No Tobaggans, though.

Its all in the past for us, but with a few pups to grow this summer, we just might be in the swing of things again. It was a lack of good fishing that let us give up the dogs, nothing more. Its the price of Gas thats driving us back...LOL!

I hear you on the gas prices!
    That is why I am setting up a sled and team.
    I think gas is going to take a major jump this summer and probably stay high for a long time.

Wow, 13'! Thats a long sled.
    I been thinking I might build one 30"x8' having a 6' basket "bed" for my hauling. Try to keep it about 30-40 lbs.
    I might try to build it here before I move. I have plenty of materials here and plenty of time, waiting for the houses to sell.
    I am dragging a 16' trailer up with me, so hauling will not be to big of a deal.
    Just my thoughts!

Did you get some pups?

Ken

Thats cool. I didnt live around too many trees when we played with pups, so I opted for larger sleds, and I used a 9 foot one alot for chores.
    I think I only had those three sleds. You can repair them anywhere, with materials at hand.

I blew bending a runner the very first time I tryed to build a sled...and in the end, it became a Kayak....

Default Nice work, Stranger!

Pretty much have to build all your own stuff living remote. I built all our toboggans, using spruce and birch, but have always bought uhmw sled plastic for the bottoms, and for runners for sleds I have built.

And mostly we bought nylon webbing to make the harnesses, but some were made from moose leather. Mostly, using the nylon webbing was to cut down on dogs chewing harnesses.

Stranger, I have a cool print of a painting Tappan Adney did back in 1898, was in a story he did on hunting with the Han out of the Klondike country. It shows a traditional Han winter camp, dome-shaped tents covered with moose and/or caribou skins, but what is interesting from a mushing perspective is the little caches they had to build every camp to put harnesses and ganglines and even their little toboggans in (and meat too of course), cuz there were no chains available then and dogs were always loose when not hooked up and would eat anything made of leather or that had leather ties or hide sides etc.

How did you keep your dogs from chewing the caribou harnesses...was that ever a problem when you'd stop for a bit? Don't use sleds here for the most part, different country and seldom get the hardpack windblown snows, lots of thicker forests too so using a narrow 18" wide toboggan.

a Kayak?

Now that is too funny stranger!

We kept the dogs "Trained" with a refesher now and then not to chew on either our nylon or Caribou harness's. We werent always nice about it, and the dogs figure it out young.
    There were a couple sneaky raskels , however.

We tied them down each night, but dogs in the meat was still an occasional problem. When we set them loose in summer, the "Dog fish" we had for their food was always kept on the bottom poles, so a snatch wouldnt disrupt the wife.....LOL!
    We also fed them plenty at night and a bit with the morning water.Snacks and a place away from our food cache' for feeding them helped.

If you dont have a chain for the night, a 2inch thick, 4 foot long willow can be tied to their coller and the other end to a pole to circle or chunk of tundra in a pich. Tieing them down keeps the dogs off everything.
    A "tripod" from the sled and spare pole (Poles) made an easy rack at night, as did tarping up any thing we didnt want them into. Tied to the front of the sled , then stood up with back runners as "legs"....see what I mean?

Just like kids, you gotta keep an eye on them, feed them, teach them,and be nice.