Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SuperCub Sheep Hunt.

Default SuperCub Sheep Hunt.

Trying to fight off the cabin fever by dreaming of and getting ready for the 2009 Sheep season. A friend and I have booked a fly-in with 40 Mile Air. We will be flying in super cubs and are limited to a 50lb pack plus rifle and ammo. We are also allowed the gear we can carry on our bodies and still get the seatbelt on. So I have been working on gear and trying to decide what I really need.

The basics, we will be using a MSR Mutha Hubba tent it is 7lbs total. We will be sharing this weight and the 6 lbs for the Pentax PF65EDa II spotting scope and K&K outdoors tripod with pistol head.

I will be using a Wiggys bag, the 20 degree outer bag and a Big Agnes mummy insulated air-core mattress. 6.0lbs

If Iím fortunate enough to take a ram, I have a small set of TAG bags, plastic sheet to keep the meat clean, Cutco knife and a scalpel with blades, a tape measure, and some flagging tape. Also have Ĺ gallon of TTC for the cape.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I will have a small rifle cleaning kit, brush, oil, cloth and boresnake.

For cooking I will be using my Jetboil, MSR sweetwater with extra prefilters and a nylon bag to carry and hold water, a nalgene water bottle, plastic coffee cup, and a titanium spoon and fork kit. 4.0lbs with 3 full fuel canisters. My buddy will have a MSP whisperlite and fuel for it as backup.

Will be bringing a headlight, waterproof lighter and waterproof matches, small bottle of deet and a headnet, GPS with the area loaded and a map and compass. Small puffer bottle to check the wind. One set of extra batteries for GPS and light.

For wet weather I will have my HH rain jacket and either one or two small drybags. Will use one to store my food stuff and the other for one set of extra fleece long under wear and a couple pairs of extra smartwool socks.

Other items include a well stocked first aid kit and a sat phone and extra battery. Small waterproof digital camera to take photos to post. LOL

I will be using my Cabela's Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame II and pack, I cut off all the extra straps and other junk that I donít use. 8.0lbs empty.

So far with everything but my food and extra clothes to include the entire tent and both the spotting scope and tripod my weight is 41lbs. After I split the tent and tripod weight with my buddy Iíll have 16lbs for food and clothes. We plan on being out about 7 days.

What am I missing???

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

For cooking I will be using my Jetboil, MSR sweetwater with extra prefilters and a nylon bag to carry and hold water, a nalgene water bottle, plastic coffee cup, and a titanium spoon and fork kit. 4.0lbs with 3 full fuel canisters. My buddy will have a MSP whisperlite and fuel for it as backup.

Will be bringing a headlight, waterproof lighter and waterproof matches, small bottle of deet and a headnet, GPS with the area loaded and a map and compass. Small puffer bottle to check the wind. One set of extra batteries for GPS and light.

For wet weather I will have my HH rain jacket and either one or two small drybags. Will use one to store my food stuff and the other for one set of extra fleece long under wear and a couple pairs of extra smartwool socks.

Other items include a well stocked first aid kit and a sat phone and extra battery. Small waterproof digital camera to take photos to post. LOL

I will be using my Cabela's Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame II and pack, I cut off all the extra straps and other junk that I donít use. 8.0lbs empty.

So far with everything but my food and extra clothes to include the entire tent and both the spotting scope and tripod my weight is 41lbs. After I split the tent and tripod weight with my buddy Iíll have 16lbs for food and clothes. We plan on being out about 7 days.

What am I missing???

Steve
    Might be nice to have binoculars, knife(ives), extra batteries for head lamp just for "starters".
    Good luck on your hunt.

I would drop one of those Jetboil cannisters as 2 should be plenty, especially with a backup stove. I don't see any 550 cord, sunglasses, or trekking poles on your list.

Should have mentioned that I will be carrying my binos Zeiss 8x32 binos and leica CRF 1200 range finder. Will add some 550 cord.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I would drop one of those Jetboil cannisters as 2 should be plenty, especially with a backup stove.
    +1, I went on an 8 day sheep trip and we only used 1 1/2 canisters.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

I will be using my Cabela's Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame II and pack, I cut off all the extra straps and other junk that I don’t use. 8.0lbs empty.

So far with everything but my food and extra clothes to include the entire tent and both the spotting scope and tripod my weight is 41lbs. After I split the tent and tripod weight with my buddy I’ll have 16lbs for food and clothes. We plan on being out about 7 days.

What am I missing???

Steve
    First all I would bring would be the boresnake. Put a few drops of oil on it prior to leaving. If you take a field repair kit for your jetboil you can shed the extra stove. I flew into the TMA using only a jetboil and a companion cup for me and my partner. Never had a problem. But if you should the repair kit will take care of any issues. Get rid of the pre-filters for the sweetwater. Make a pool with rocks that allows the water to settle a bit and you be fine. I bring compactor bags and not dry bags. Remember fleece drys quick and if it is aug you wont need much even if you do get wet. I got my bag down to 48lbs rifle and all and I am using the Barney's hunter pack. You do loose alot. Another thing if you bring some skin glue or super glue and a small roll of duct tape you can fix most minor injuries in the field. Anything big is going to require your sat phone. Just some suggestions. When I first started my bag was 70 lbs. I did have it to 42lbs until I bought the barney's. Good luck and I'm with ya, the bug is killin me. Cant wait to Aug!

Default Game bags

I didn't see game bags presoked with citric acid and dried.

Good luck,
    Rich
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Ö Congress must use a different version that does.

What are you bringing for food?

You forgot two things.

Snyd: 175lbs

Pack/Rifle/Food: 50lbs

What range are we flying in to??

PS I guess this means we'll be training again this summer huh?

Would go with a smaller blade. Cutco pretty big & heavy. I usually go w/ a smaller blade & a cheap disposable blade that you can bust the tips off for a sharp fresh end. It weighs less than a scapal. Did I miss the camera to capture the event digitally? No nead for 3 fuel cans as stated above. Trecking pole has been beat to dealth, but I would take one. I see some other items you could reduce in weight & size. It all boils down to every little thing adds up in the end & what ever you can shave off or reduce adds to the total. This topic always comes up, but it is a great one! Will have to go break out last years list now & look it over.

ditch the hard case for the gps. maybe get a lighter tripod? how much does that one weigh? Looks heavy. If it's more than 1.5 lbs it's too heavy.

EDIT: whoops, I guess that's the sat phone? I'd still ditch the case somehow.

Perry we are going into the Wrangells 2 weeks after the opener, and course we will have to get together and do some training this summer.

Because it is later, will have a few extra clothes just in case.

The tripod is just over 2 lbs but is very nice and sturdy. I have used cheaper, lighter ones and found they move too much for me making it hard to really judge animals.

I will most likely drop the sat phone box and wrap it in my sleeping bag.

Got a camera and TAG bags, have citric acid, never pretreated the bags will try that also.

For food on this hunt it will be mostly Mountain House and other dried items will add some cheese, candy bars ect... and other goodies as weight allows.

Will be using the wifes Remington Alaskan TI in 270 WSM and I do have and use trecking poles, just did not want to go out in the cold to find them.

Steve
    Founding Member

Default Looks good

After years of doing walk in hunts, my partner and I have mastered the art of not having a whole lot. Flying in offers a different beast for sure. One thing to do is wear pants that have large pockets and shirts/jacket with large pockets. Fill them ALL up with extra bullets, knifes, binoculars around your neck, and whatever else that you can get in your pockets. We flew out for 10 days and almost ran out of food, but we did it on a whim as 40 mile air squeezed us in and had to go immediately.

I carry my sat phone in a two ziplocs. I have many extra garbage bags for the meat and cape. Don't use tag bags. I get the meat in the water as soon as possible and triple bag it so water can't get in it. I have used a jet boil for a couple of years now and have NEVER used more than one fuel canister. I do have an extra, but that is cooking for 2 guys.
    I don't take a water pump either. Figure the water up there is just fine. If I had to drink out of a "hole" on top though, I am sure I would be wishing for one.

I only take a small victoronix knife. I will now be taking my piranta scalpel.

If you add an extra cup of boiling water to a mountian house, then add a bag of instant mashed potatos or cos cos, it will make one mountain house large enough to share with your partner.

Sleeping bag looks big and heavy, not sure you need one that heavy for the time of year. Definitely take garbage bags and something to cover your pack with incase of rain/snow. Also, take a couple extra pins, and locks for your pack/frame attachment. They seems to break at the sh*ttiest times. I always pack a tarp as well.

After reading these posts, I will be adding the crazy glue to mine.

Loose the seat cushion and pack it on. Just pretend your a big ol boy. Removing the cushion was the only way i could get the belt around a 6'11 350lber they got good brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by shirtr View Post
    Sleeping bag looks big and heavy, not sure you need one that heavy for the time of year.
    I was thinking the same thing. Six pound for sleeping bag and pad seems a little on the heavy side. That being said, you've spent plenty of time afield and certainly know what it takes to keep your body comfortable. My sleeping system is closer to 4 pounds, but I sleep like a furnace.

Ditto on the pins for your backpack. I lost one of those once without a replacement, and I've never left home without extras since.

Default Bag

I've questioned the use of my heavy Wiggys too. It only takes once crawling into it on a windy wet ridgeline and having all motivation renued and you'll appreciate the extra load.

Honestly......thats a good looking pack and nearly matches what I scramble around with. Change a few name brands but essentially the same stuff.

I've already started training for August too. I've been hitting the gym and pool for the past three weeks and focusing on core and leg strength.

Default weight

My Contributions...
    A lighter knife.
    Add an extra battery for the Sat Phone.
    Trekking poles get lost. Convienient hiking staffs get found in the creek bottom.
    How many bullets are you bringing?
    I hate water pumps...have not got ill yet.
    My firstaid kit is tiny compared to yours.
    Try to sneek in 8 more pounds of food.
    I very seldom use bug dope on a sheep killing trip.

And YOU WILL GET A RAM, power of positive thinking weighs nothing.

I like your safari sling, which hangs your rifle in front of you. Besides myself, you are the first hunter I have saw using one.

Dennis

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast