Thread: Last Trapping Pics of season

Default Last Trapping Pics of season

Been pulling lines, heading to town next week. One of the lines runs up what we call "repeater hill" (I have a ham radio repeater up there). It's only a mile and a half total trail but a 1500' elevation gain, and midway up is a fairly steep sidehill. Took eight dogs and my daughter's old rig as it is so much lighter.

Second set had a marten:

Made it up the steep section okay, have to walk behind most all of the way to the top, push at times on steeper parts. Here's a shot just as we get to the repeater at the top, the mountains in the distance are part of the Oligilvies in the Yukon Territory:

That repeater is a vhf/uhf dual band that links to Porcupine Dome near Central, which links back to Ester Dome in Fairbanks. The battery had gone dead in the deep cold and lack of sun, happens every winter and I had brought it down last time to charge. Got it replaced and is working again, but man my fingers get cold working without gloves up there, temp was -30 at the house, a bit warmer up high. Glad to have the thermos and have some hot tea before heading down. As you can tell it's all burned up there, from the 2004 fire that nearly got us...burned up my repeater too, which is in one of the large ammo cans at base of tree. Didn't hurt the antennas, but burned the coax most of the way up the tree. Spendy deal to replace the whole thing.

Got down through the steep part, have to let most of the dogs loose otherwise it is too much steam going down, even with the rig chained up. Called the loose dogs and hooked them back in line. This next shot is the bottom third of the hill, looking back toward the cabin in river valley below. That's Step Mountain off in the distance to the SE:

Was later than I thought, and was still a bit chilly from the slog up there and being all sweaty, turned out to be -36 when I got back. Dogs did good, and I didn't hurt myself on the way down...always a big concern as I have wiped pretty bad coming down before. Always good to get up high and see the mtns. So all the sets are pulled, looking fwd to a lot of spring mushing and will post pics in the mushing forum down the line.
    Good luck out there,

Awesome Mark, thats quite a place you trap in. I think I would have a really hard time ever coming back to town, or putting my camera down.

Mike

Really neat Bushrat. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of how you live!

Nice Pictures Bushrat really is a cool place you trap
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Bummer that your trapping pics are done for the season. I always enjoyed viewing them. Thanks!

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Thanks Mark, great pics!

Mark, in previous posts you have mentioned the fire of 2004 before. How large of a fire was it and how did it affect you, your life & the wild life?
    Jerry

Hope you had a good season. Just make sure you keep the pictures and stories coming of your other adventures and trials and tribulations. They are always informative and entertaining!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Great pics...

Thanks Mark,fun to see what everyone does to make the winter time pass.Just finished "The last Frontiersman" book about Heimo Korth, and really made me want to do a Bow moose hunt up on the Coleen just to see the beauty.GR

Default Jerry, inre those wildfires

Jerry, as you know I'm currently traveling, so haven't been on forum much. I just saw your question on the wildfires. We had them in 2004 and 2005, pretty much burned both sides of the entire upper river here. All total, I don't recall but it was in the hundreds of thousands of acres. It sure changed everything, whole forests burnt and a lot of animals were displaced. Some likely died. Spruce hillsides are coming back in birch and aspen, moose browse is improving but so far haven't noticed any increase in moose population, still pretty low.

Voles came back fast and if you hike in the burned areas there are vole colonies everywhere and you can hear them squeaking underground. Along with the voles exploding, the marten increased and so did the owls of various kinds. Didn't used to have many great gray owls and now see them frequently.

The fires messed with the traplines in that a lot of deadfall was in all the trails and it is still taking time to clear them every year as more of the trees fall in windstorms cuz the roots burned out. Lost a lot of traps too that were still out on the lines...in the hot burns it caused the springs to lose temper. It's cool to see the change in flora, but it's also kinda a bummer to just look up at hillsides littered with black deadfall instead of nice groves of spruce. Hiking in that stuff is hard too.

But it's good for the moose down the line. So it's all good overall. There were some changes to the river too in summer afterwards as the ash would wash down in rains, different taste and color. And when it would overflow in winter (even last winter) onto gravel bars and such, after breakup and melt those places had an ash layer on all the rocks. So the ash is still coming down, not sure how it is affecting fish populations. Lots of slides now in heavy rains in summer without all those trees holding the soil together.
    Best,

Thanks Mark, You have to love watching Mother Nature at work. I followed Yellowstones recover as I have a cabin within 90 miles of there and it was incredible but slow.
    Jerry