Thread: 454 Casull, 45 Colt dies??

Default 454 Casull, 45 Colt dies??

If I'll be loading the 45 Colt and 454 Casull can I use 45 Colt dies for both? If not, will the 454 Casull dies be ok for 45 Colt too?

Thanks for any responses. This site is helping tremendously in getting started in reloading.

Thanks again,
    Mike

I use the RCBS 3 piece carbide set in 454 for 45 colt with no issues. You will just have to adjust the seating depth when you switch cases.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    If I'll be loading the 45 Colt and 454 Casull can I use 45 Colt dies for both? If not, will the 454 Casull dies be ok for 45 Colt too?

Thanks for any responses. This site is helping tremendously in getting started in reloading.

Thanks again,
    Mike

If Im reading you right you have it reversed. You can use .454 dies for both cartridges for sure. But Im pretty sure you cant use the 45 colts for 454. So to be safe just buy the .454 casull dies and be confident they will work for both. My die set even says .454 casull/.45 long colt. When looking at a set of .45 colt dies it just says .45 colt

A 45 Colt die-only will not properly resize the Casull brass. However a Casull die will resize Casull or 45 Colt, when adjusted properly.

I load 45lc, 454, and 460 S&W with my RCBS 460 S&W dies.
    Andy

Thanks! I'm going to pick up the 454 dies this weekend. Gonna check my manuals tonight but can anyone recommend powders that will allow me to load both normal pressure 45 colt loads up to medium 454 casull hunting loads?

Mike

I use Lee carbide 45Colt dies for my 454 and they work fine giving complete sizing. My manual shows Blue Dot as as good choice for both 45Colt and medium to warm loads in the 454.

First lets clear the air a bit about sizing dies and understand the difference between the 45 Colt and the 454 Casull cases.

Sizing dies can be carbide, which is just a tungstun carbide ring epoxied in the bottm of a die or dies can be steel which is dimensioned to allow the stamped case to fit and be resixed correctly, including length.

If using a carbide sizer it will correctly size both 45 Colt and 454. If using steel dies (which require lube) a die stamped 45 colt won't fully size a 454 case but if stamped 454 it will correctly size both. There may be exceptions to this.

The expander dies (middle die) will be correct for both. The seater die body for 45 colt will be shorter for proper contact with the crimping ridge in the die. This will require on adjustment for the Colt and one for the Casull but will work for both or you could buy a fourth die which is just crimping only and all those now are made for the 45 Colt which also fits and may or may not be stamped, 454 Casull.

External dimensions of both calibers are not the same but close enough to work. The 45 Colt diameter is .480" the Casull is .4775". That is 2 and one half thousands of an inch. Then of course the Casull is longer at 1.383" vs 1.285" for the Colt. Interestingly the 45 S&W Schofield cartridge which was used in the 45 Colt cylinder has the dimensions of .475" diameter and 1.109" long with the same rim as the Colt. I load them with the same dies stamped 45 Colt/454 Casull.

Freedom Arms at one time gave information that only 454 dies were to be used to load 454 ammo, this may have been beacuse of the difference in diameter but they were also the only source for the dies at that time. The rim of the 454 is .001" less in thickness than the Colt. That dimension is headspace and I do't worry about .001".

If you are buying dies buy 45 Colt/454Casull stamped dies and separate crimp die with the same stamp. If you have a set of either in carbide, use them and get a new crimp die.

Regardless of official case/chamber dimensions, I think the folks who make brass make it all exactly the same in rim and body diameter and just cut and stamp all three, 45 S&W, 45 Colt and 454 differently. I don't know whare the 460 S&W fits in here except that it is longer, I suspect the same external dimensions as all others now.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I don't know whare the 460 S&W fits in here except that it is longer, I suspect the same external dimensions as all others now.
    460 S&W mag case is 1.800" long, .478" +/-.003" OD, .525" +/- .0015" ID, and with a .059" thick by .520" OD rim. So ya, just longer than the others.

Andy