Thread: Anchorage --> Ketchikan

Default Anchorage --> Ketchikan

We're looking at a possible move from Anchorage to Ketchikan and I'm wondering about how to ship household items from Anchorage to there? What companies may offer shipping, etc.?

Thanks....jim

I hope your ready for rain .... like in .... horizontal rain !!!!

You might have to ship via truck to Seattle then up by barge. Check with Alaska Marine Lines or Northland and see if they have a Haines or Skagway connection headed south.

Ditto on the rain.....

Alaska Marine Lines/Lynden Transport has a Whittier connection out of Anchorage and Northland Services provides the same route service.

Default 10-4

Thanks for the info guys. I've called Northland and will see about connections.

I already got the head's up on the rain....

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I've called Northland and will see about connections.

I already got the head's up on the rain....

jim
    Keeping your head up would be good.........but don't keep your nose pointed up or you'll drown.

Cliffhanger, have you visited Ketchikan? Ketchikan will be one of the most hard hit cities in Alaska. The economy has shifted to one based on cruise ship travel. I've lived there twice, 96-98 and 2001-2002. My mother still lives there. In 2001, We didn't see the sun for the entire month of May and half of June.

Good luck. Some people get along better with it than I did. Everyone that I know that lives there are either moving or looking forward to moving.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Ketchikan

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Ketchikan will be one of the most hard hit cities in Alaska.
    Hard hit by what? Rain that's it ... really it's no secret.

In 2001, We didn't see the sun for the entire month of May and half of June.
    That's pretty good ... some years we have only seen the sun 10 times all year ...

Everyone that I know that lives there are either moving or looking forward to moving.
    I've been here quite awhile. Seems to be lots of people moving up to retire here lately ... which surprises me.
    I don't know if I'll ever move ... don't think the wife will let me.

Default ferry

If you want to save the drive, try the Kennicott from Whittier to Ketchikan. 2x per month in the winter, 1 per month in the summer?!!! seems backwards but what do I know.

Default Thanks again

The ferry Kennicott does indeed sail twice a month in the winter from Whittier to Ketchikan. Cost for a single person / 20 foot van and stateroom is around $2000. That's about what the quote was from Northland to ship a 20 foot van from Anchorage/Seattle/Ketchikan. If I rented a UHaul the rental cost and return of the van would need to be added. I'm thinking Northland at this point.

(And I'm brining my snorkel gear for the rain....)

Default Big Myth

I can't believe you've fallen for the "Big Rain Myth" that we tell everyone to keep them from moving here.

Default Done gone!

Just wanted to let you all know I'm getting on the ferry tomorrow morning out of Valdez (was supposed to be Whittier, but we all know what happened there) and I'll be in Ketchikan on Thursday. We used Alison's Relocations moving company to get the big stuff down to the Gateway City.

My wife has been down there for the last 6 weeks (the longest we've ever been away from each other) working at her new career as a nurse. And I found a great little fishing/touring business that was willing to hire a newly-minted six-packer (OUPV-Inland captain) and I'll start working in mid June.

We're very excited to move to Ketchikan and start out new adventure. We still have to sell the house in Anchorage. It's been on the market for a month today. Lots of tire kickers but no offers yet. We're in a good price range and location, so I'm not too worried yet.

In the meantime, I'll be learning a lot about a new place on the water and living my dream of what (semi-) retirement is all about.

Thanks for the help from everyone here getting us started moving.

Best, Jim

Default Welcome to K-town!

pm sent...