Thread: Pike for kids?

Default Pike for kids?

As you could guess, I'm thrilled and super proud that my little man has taken to ice fishing. The last couple times we've gone he's been catching trout and landlocks as fast as I can bait the hook. I've got a day off coming up soon and am hoping to plan a father-son trip and have been thinking about trying for pike with him. Anyone have an idea on where we might be able to try for some hammer handles? I'm assuming its a given that the pike action will be slower than for trout in the stocked lakes. I was hoping that someone might have an idea of a spot in Valley/Anchorage area with more, smaller fish that might be in sync with a four year old's attention span. I've fished some of the lakes on the Lynx Lake trail before but that's probably a bit far off the road for us (skis or snowshoes, no snow machine (yet)). I've attached a photo from our trip this weekend.

Default Memory Lake

I haven't fished it yet this year, but as far as a lake that is right off a road and has some pike in it, that may be your best bet. Bring a frisbee or skis and goof around while you wait for the flags to pop up! I think I am going to try spearing there this saturday, so I will let you know if I see any fish or have any luck with the tipups...

PS: Memory lake is is wasilla!

Glad to hear the fever is spreading!

Cheers!

Jake
    Last edited by AKanders; 02-04-2009 at 11:50. Reason: Added lake city

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try!

If that dosen't work out and you have time you might try Prator. I've iced a few out of there and had a pretty nice one rip off about 100' of line one time...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. Now I've got two try.