Thread: lynx on the KP

Default lynx on the KP

Just curious how all the Kenai penisula trappers did on lynx this year anyone have pics to share. I have heard some did well others not so well.

Not sure from your post if you tried or not. Howd you do?

I went scouting with a freind between turnagain to almost kenai lake. We didnt see any sign. I thought we were looking in what I would think would be good areas.

Id be interested to know too as it seemed like the prey population was doing very well down that way.

Default lynx

no I didnt get any I had trouble finding sign as well

I'm interested to hear as well because this summer I saw more lynx this summer than I had seen in the rest of my life. It was great I saw a mother with two kits hunting rabbits and spruce hens right on the edges of the road, was very fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    I'm interested to hear as well because this summer I saw more lynx this summer than I had seen in the rest of my life. It was great I saw a mother with two kits hunting rabbits and spruce hens right on the edges of the road, was very fun to watch.
    ....very cool!

...and,glad to see this question....

-I was curious about the same...

-we didn't make any sets this year at all for anything....

-very glad that Lynx opened for the Kenai , even if for only a few weeks...

Default Kenai Lynx

My son and his buddy trapped three in about a week and a half before the season ended. Will try and upload some pics soon.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

...awesome!!

...looking forward to the pictures...

Default Sucess! Well, almost :-)

I found sign but did not connect. I had one step on the jaw and turn about-face...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pics 151.jpg  

Exclamation Kenai Lynx Pics

Here is a pair of little ones they got in one trip. I think they got the whole family though these two smaller ones and the big one was trapped seperate, not bad for a couple of 15 yr olds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1290255.JPG  

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Default awesome

Very cool!!!

Whats the deal with the gloves? are they allergic?
    I have a freind who is allergic to cats, he got 3 lynx, that was hillarious watching him deal with those. Even tanned they give him problems.

Default Gloves

No, the first one they got had fleas really bad and creeped them both out. So they put gloves on after that, even though I told them fleas jump.....boys....once frozen they were good but try and convince a couple teenagers

Default Lice

I believe there are no fleas up here. Dogs don't get them. There was a outbreak at the dog park this summer, Lice. So that would be my bet. Same thing they don't last very off an animal or maybe even if animal is dead then froze. Just my opinion plus curious too.

There is indeed fleas here. Most of every snowshoe hare I have shot on the kenai penn has had them. My cat killed 4 small snowshoe hares on his own and he got fleas and brought them inside. We also have ticks. I have noticed them on squirels. The cat got those too. The cat was nice enough to give me a tick in my arm pit. The cat is a better hunter then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I believe there are no fleas up here. Dogs don't get them. There was a outbreak at the dog park this summer, Lice. So that would be my bet. Same thing they don't last very off an animal or maybe even if animal is dead then froze. Just my opinion plus curious too.

Well, they sure looked like fleas and they were bailing off a dead lynx that was cooling down. They jumped like fleas, looked like fleas, I do believe they were fleas. You know the old saying "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......it's probably a duck" well........

Check out these articles:

kenai.fws.gov/overview/notebook/2000/mar/31mar00.htm
    wildlifenews.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlife_news.print.
    www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=130545.0

Very true on the parasites here. Lice on the on the lynx, coyotes, and wolves, and ticks on the squirrels. Interesting pblack, on the snowshoe hares. Of the hundreds I've handled I have never seen anything on the outside. They all seem to have tape worms though.

Yeah I have heard of fleas up here too. Cant remember who from but they swore their dog got fleas from out in the woods one time.