Thread: Alaskan Fishing

Default Alaskan Fishing

I was wanting to know what is the earliest time someone could fish in Alaska, anywhere really doesnt matter just Alaska fishing, Father is sick and has always wanted to go. Thanks Walter

I am going to assume that you mean fishing in the summer. If the species and location doesn't matter the earliest you'd want to come is mid to late May for fresh water. I don't know anything about salt water. The fishing in general gets better all summer. hope that help a little...
    pull my finger....

I'm not sure about Central AK, but if you are out for rainbows on the Bristol Bay area it doesn't open until 1st weekend in June I believe.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Maybe Can Can, or soggy or someone from SE can chime in on the runs down there. I thought they get a pretty early king run for some reason.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Vancouver, Washington

Last year, I took a charter boat for halibut out of Seward on April 30. We were their first boat out for the year. The weather was great, but that was a rare occurence. It was cold however. We did well. Three nice halibut in the 60lb range and several nice yelloweye. We caught'em off Point Junkin in 200 feet with herring.

My guess is that saltwater fishing in and around Ketchikan is likely to be even earlier, perhaps in March.

Mean streets of Fairview

Thumbs up There's fish in them there waves

Taking your question as you asked it, there is always fish to catch somewhere in Alaska.
    Lots of ice fishing now for pike, trout and char. Trolling the salt for winter kings can be done from Juneau to Homer.
    I am starting to think about a couple trial runs to Homer in advance of the derby. On a nice day it is beautiful on the ocean.

I understand about your dad and if I can help, let me know.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default sorry to hear that

Hi Walter, If you would like to drop me a pm i might be able to help you out depending when you decide to come. I charter on the Kenai and it starts mid May. I might have some seats open and I would be honored to help you out if I can.

Eagle River/ Juneau

Depends on what you want to catch and how you want to fish and where you want to go

Heres a Rundown

Saltwater Kings - All Year Homer Southern Southeast, Mayish for other places
    Freshwater Kings- Memorial Day Weekend
    SE Trout - April/May depending on weather
    Steelhead - All Year in Yakutat late April Elsewhere in SE
    SC Trout mid may
    Cordova Reds - Late May
    Rockfish/Halibut - March

Hope that helps
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States

Default halibut opened feb1st

King salmon year round, again halibut feb 1 st, ling cod july 1st, Kodiak kings are landed year round with the biggest in april, may, june first week of july.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs