Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable boats

Default Inflatable boats

Iam new to this forum so hello!
    Iam looking to buy an alaska series inflatable boat and iam asking for opinions because I have not seen them in person and i dont know anyone who has one. Please help i need input.

I have a tender on order that I will get in april. They were at the boat show here in Anchorage. They seem like a well built inflatable and those that I have talked to like them. They also have their 'armorclaw' on the bottom to protect them from rock punctures. I will know more by the end of summer, but they seem like a fine choice to me.

Jim

Thanks Iam looking at the alaska ranger 520 for halibut at deep creek and dip netting at chitna and need to hear experiences with kings boats

Jim King is a stand up guy. I bought an Alaskan Jet Ranger from him a couple years ago. The boat was made incorrectly (transom in wrong place) I did not know it. He called me and told me of the problem and gave me the choice of fixing it or getting a new boat. The Armor claw bottom keeps it from getting cutting cut by sharp rocks in PWS. I would buy from him again without hesitation.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Jim will be at the Anchors Aweigh boat show all week in the Denaíina Civic & Convention Center. Was there last night and stopped by, he has most of his boats on display and great show pricing; bought my tender from him last year.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default thanks for the good news!

I have a tender on order too, from AK Series/Jim King. so far I have gone on pictures and statement online, but I did talk to Jim and agree he seems a straight shooter; also talked to his dealer in Seattle. Now I feel even better!

Thanks for the great picture, Steve, you can see the "grizzly claw" bottom on it. I plan to use mine in PWS too.

Jay, do you row your tender, or do you use a motor? I am thinking of getting a honda 2hp for mine, it will be a 270 model.

Thanks everyone ~~~~ Ron

Thanks for the input. I hope someone who ownes an alaska ranger series boat will tell me what he thinks of them in comparison to others I dont know anyone in fairbanks who owns one i can look at.

Nice looking rig steve do you know anyone in fairbanks that has an alaska ranger sport boat they are alot different than the jet boats

I don't know of anyone local. Jim was at the Fairbanks boat show last year and had some boats on display. Should have a show soon.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The boat was made incorrectly (transom in wrong place) I did not know it. He called me and told me of the problem and gave me the choice of fixing it or getting a new boat.

Steve
    Could you provide the details on what was srong with the transom position. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I have a tender on order too, from AK Series/Jim King. so far I have gone on pictures and statement online, but I did talk to Jim and agree he seems a straight shooter; also talked to his dealer in Seattle. Now I feel even better!

Thanks for the great picture, Steve, you can see the "grizzly claw" bottom on it. I plan to use mine in PWS too.

Jay, do you row your tender, or do you use a motor? I am thinking of getting a honda 2hp for mine, it will be a 270 model.

Thanks everyone ~~~~ Ron
    Both, I picked up the Honda 2hp mid season last year. At 27lbs itís easy to put on and take off and has worked out great. We have the 240 model, fits our boat and at 45lbs is easy to single hand on and off the roof. If we're just headed into shore the tender rows great, but if we want to explore around the motors a nice option.
    The 2hp Honda is plenty of power, fact is I donít think more hp will get you any more speed do to the characteristics of the boat.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapete View Post
    Nice looking rig steve do you know anyone in fairbanks that has an alaska ranger sport boat they are alot different than the jet boats
    Taken from Alaska series web site:

Fairbanks Outdoors Show (Carlson Center) -April 17th Through April 19th 2009
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Smile

BREAUSAW Thanks for the reply on the fairbanks show the problem is if i wait till then it will be too late to get a boat built by this summer.

Default HP?

Stid: What hp is that motor? 30 4-stroke? How's it push the boat? thanks. j

25hp 2 stroke. Top speed 18 to 20 mph. Payload right at 750lbs.

Steve
    Founding Member

Default Thanks.

Appreciate the info. Am thinking of getting one.

Stid,

I've been drooling over that setup for the better part of 2 years now. I just need to bite the bullet and do it. The harder part will be finding a 25-30 hp 2 stroke jet to put on that thing. Did you get teh 13 or 14 foot model??

Thanks

Default forgot

Steve: That must then be an older outboard, and about 18 hp at the pump. Similar to a Yam 25. If not, please advise, as I only see 25 hp (at the pump) Mercs now, 4 stroke and 186 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post

Thanks everyone ~~~~ Ron

Ron,

I have a 270 tender on order as well, and I plan on getting the same 2hp motor (great minds think alike). I was told that I need the long shaft model of the Honda (20") so make sure you get that when you order your motor. I almost didn't ask, assuming it would use the 15" shaft. I plan on getting my motor in Seattle in a month or so, since that is where my boat is right now.

Jim

I had a 95 Merc 20 Jet (same as in the photo. 25 at the head, 2-stroke); I think it weighed 124 lbs. I had it on a 12 foot Quicksilver, then on a 14 foot Zodiac. With a couple guys and fishing gear, it'd get on step, but there were many times I wished I had more HP, I think a 40/30 Jet would have been much better for my purposes. The Jet ranger probably planes a bit better than either of the inflatables I had, but I think I'd still rather have a 30 Jet...except for the weight of the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast