Thread: 18' Hewscraft river runner with Jacuzzi inboard jet

Default 18' Hewscraft river runner with Jacuzzi inboard jet

so I need some help. I just bought a 18' Hewscraft river runner with Jacuzzi inboard jet powered by a 350 olds. The motor was rebuilt but it has not been run in 4 years. It AT trans fluid in the cylinders so it shouldnt be siezed. I know very little about this boat other than it needs a ton of work. How much is the jacuzzi jet worth. Its a 12YJ. I bought it for 1500$. I dont even know where to start except get the motor running and see how she works. The owner of the boat had the motor put in and its ready to go and it even has been running, but not in a while. Where do i start guys? Any advise would be helpfull.

Quote Originally Posted by dhosera View Post
    so I need some help. I just bought a 18' Hewscraft river runner with Jacuzzi inboard jet powered by a 350 olds. The motor was rebuilt but it has not been run in 4 years. It AT trans fluid in the cylinders so it shouldnt be siezed. I know very little about this boat other than it needs a ton of work. How much is the jacuzzi jet worth. Its a 12YJ. I bought it for 1500$. I dont even know where to start except get the motor running and see how she works. The owner of the boat had the motor put in and its ready to go and it even has been running, but not in a while. Where do i start guys? Any advise would be helpfull.

I`d start with an oil and fuel change...don`t forget the fuel filter. Check the plugs and wires, charge the batts and light it up. You never really know til you take the plunge. Don`t forget to run the blower for a while before you start it.

My Jacuzzi has a rubber doughnut gear looking thingy that acts as a shock absorber between the motor and the pump shaft. Mine is powered by a snowmachine motor, so obviously a different pump.
    If yours has that, take it out and look it over, they can come apart.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks for the help. Any and all will be appreciated. If anyone has alot of knowlege about the Jacuzzi jet, I would love to speak with them. Thanks again!

Default Check some other stuff too

You should remove the sparkplugs too, see if they are clean and dry, or if they need changed. Shine a light in the cylinder and look for rust...even though they had tranny fluid in them, condensation can still occur. Also, check any hoses, and bend the spark plug wires around and make sure there are no cracks. Take the distributor cap off and check the cap points and the rotor, points too if it's an old engine w/o electronic ignition.

When you get it running, look at it at night with no light on, that way you can see if there is any spark arching, sometimes old ignition wire look good but these engines had high output coils and the rubber can decompose and allow spark arching.

have fun!
    Ron