Thread: New to AK need help.

Default New to AK need help.

I have not had the pleasure of hunting in your great state yet, but plan to this year. I have hunted deer for years in Southern Indiana so all my gear is specific to that location. I am looking at new clothing (insulated bibs and parka) but not sure what it needs to have. My old set is not water proof and is not very warm, milder temps in Indiana. I was curious as to what type of clothing you all use, how insulated, is it water proof, scent lok etc? I plan on hunting deer, moose and bear at some point but unsure when the seasons are in. I am up here for 3 years and hope to bag a few animals so any help you pros may have would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to ask what caliber rifle is prefered for use up here for deer, moose and bear? I have only used shotgun since it is illegal to hunt with rifle in Indiana. I am sure this will cause some debate. I was thinking 30-06 up to a .338. Guess it's shot placement vs big 'ol gun. lol

Thanks
    Doug

Default Multiple layer clothes

Get good quality synthetics you can layer with. There is such a big temperature range here than one set is not the end all be all. A good wicking base layer, some quality wind cutter type pants and shirts and a quality waterproof outer layer. Footwear to match the terrain is also necessary, ie hip waders for moose and quality leathers for deer/bear.

Welcome to Alaska Doug! I came here from North Carolina so I have hundreds of dollars of "Eastern" deer hunting gear in a storage tub collecting dust in the garage. The First things I focused on as far as gear were good synthetic base layers (mountain hardwear has some nice ones), fleece jacket because it dries quick and can be compressed nicely to fit into your pack, a comfortable pack that fit me right, and a good pair of boots. Getting hotspots/blisters a few hours into your hunt really sucks. Being stationed at Elmendorf, I am sure you will meet quite a few hunters that have been here awile. Talk to them before you start spending money on expensive backpacking gear. This will save you from buying junk gear and having to turn around and buy the right stuff. I shoot a remington 300wsm. It is alittle powerful for the deer up here but If a bear shows up while I am quartering it out I have some protection. Good luck!

Something that you can do that has helped me find valuable info, is just search the old threads of this Forum. There is tons of info from some very experienced folks that have posts in regards to packs, tents, the proper clothing, guns, and list goes on and on. Welcome to Alaska and if your anything like me, you'll never want to leave!

Johnny

Thanks for all the advise everyone. I got a Savage .300 win mag the other day so I'm covered there. Was looking into Cabela's for clothing. I like the fleece stuff that is supposedly water proof or the wool. Haven't decided yet though.

Default clothing

Try going to some of the outfitter/guide sites. Some of them have packing checklists that list the required gear. It is fairly costly but a very goo dinvestment as it will be used over and over. My personal favorites are Sitka gear and under armour. Stay away from the real heavy stuff as you will heat up fast and once chilled you wont be able to warm up. Also Rain gear- HH impertech.

Default clothing

check out rivers west for coats...I have 2 and love them, cabelas elite fleece pants work great to also cabelas canada hunting boots, wouldnt hike anywhere without them. all of the above work great down here in wet southeast and seem to hold up when I'm up north moose hunting too.

If you are in Anchorage check out some of the local shops for hunting gear. The best stuff is at Barney's Sports Chalet, Wiggy's, Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking (AMH), and some of the other local sporting goods stores. These guys have what works up here and virtually everything is the best stuff you can get. Barney's and Wiggy's are owned by guys that hunt up here as well, so they know what works and what you need/want. There are some other stores in other cities here, that have good gear as well. My experience has shown me good and bad with Cabela's gear.

Also, there is a lot of good information in the Gear forum on this site.

Good luck,
    Richard