Thread: Draining of Blood from Wild Game

Default Draining of Blood from Wild Game

Over the last 10 years I have went from some who made steaks and roasts out of a lot of wild game to someone who makes, jerky, sausage, burger (mixed with other fat), or has some meat commercially processed.

After eating dinner at a friendís house last weekend I had some wonderful moose which had near zero typical game taste. Unless you really thought about it you would have thought it was a cut of veal. His secret he told me was that first he purchased a nice cubed and second he drains all the blood he can from meat by soaking it in cold, real cold water, then draining overnight in the fridge. I have always shied away from doing this as the meat looses some of it's color. He later rolled in bread crumbs, then 3 minutes in olive oil, then made parmesan moose dish with ragu sauce and plenty of cheese. To say the least it was really good. Made me think I need to make more steaks and roasts with my meat instead of jerky, but the boys sure like the jerky...

Any thoughts on draining or removing the blood from the meat? I have some draining after a decent rinse and tenderization of the meat last night, so Iím giving it a try.

I put a lot of time into the proper care of meat in the field and proper vaccum packing, freezing, but it seems Iíve neglected the kitchen preparation portion especially with the busy summers and longer winters in Alaska where I donít use the grill like I did when living in the lower 48.

Trim, trim, trim: Take as much "non-meat" stuff off your cuts just prior to cooking as you can; connective tissue, gristle, fat, etc. Even a little chunk 'o fat marbled into a great looking moose steak is what gives it the "moose" flavor. I tried making moose ribs once - the stuff at the end of the ribs tasted very strong, regardless of how much sauce you tried to drown it in. However, when I made up a batch of corned moose brisket with all this stuff trimmed off, it tasted like a million bucks - best I've ever had, regardless of the animal.

Same goes for fish - when you land a salmon and whack it on the head, break both gills immediately; the heart will continue to pump for several minutes, releasing a large amount of blood from the muscle tissue. This is what makes your fillets look oustanding, and taste great too. Makes a big difference.

You can do a great job with meat care in the field, but if you don't cook game meat properly and especially if you over cook it, then why bother with all that nice field care? An animal that has been shot in the heart/lungs area will be adequately bled. If they die quickly and are field dressed quickly to cool then you are well on your way to good meat. Too bad you wasted all those steaks and roasts on jerky.

No wasted on Jerky, enjoyed as Jerky.

I Shoot animals in head and neck when possible.
    Most are Caribou. and they go in an total nervessystem meltdown, with out a heartbeat more, or its a blood gushing outpour that lasts about 30 seconds as the animal bleeds out its Coradid(sp?)arteries on ont to the tundra.

With Caribou, I find that unbled meat is juicy and sweet, bled out meat a bit dryer.
    Then again, Caribou has most of its bodyfat as a layer of insulation between the meat and skin, rather than marbled throughout.

Enjoy it any way you like it.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Personnally, I don't soak the meat or anything at home except trim it. What I have found is that there are two big things that effect the meat taste. The first is a clean kill. If the animal is wounded and runs off, adrenaline gets into the meat and negatively effects the taste. The second, as mentioned above is meat care in the field, getting it cooled and keeping it clean. Alaskan XL is right about trimming all fat off the meat, the fat usually harbors the worst taste.

my grandfather taught this ...put the meat into a mix of rocksalt and buttermilk and leave it over night and it will drawout the gamely taste of the deer or elk that we have take..put the meat and the mix in a glass
    bowel and cover the meat with the mix just over the top of the meat..
    cover it with a cloth towel to keep the out things that might drop into the
    mixs ...
    plus field dress it out quickly and get the meat into the cooler to cool down it better for the meat..

when we would cook the deer or elk meat they would leave set in the glass bowel with the above mix and get out and run cold water over it to get clean..
    then a would set it in sqaured glass bakeing dish typle then take bread combs and a mixed of honey and diff typles of spices -x-salt -pepper-mexican style beef spice -for the meat and when it was beening grilled they would paste the spiced honey mix onto the meat as it was cooking
    they would put it seams about a gallon of the mix onto the meat when it was cooking..
    they tell people that never had deer or elk before it was spiced beef mexican style and only after they had eat the meat would my grandpa ask them if they ever had elk or deer meat before,...

Are we talking about the "wild" taste (that wild game should have) or are we talking about the gamey taste that some animals have due to a variety of reasons?
    What the animal eats can cause the meat to have a flavor.
    Or, if the meat is improperly cared for in the field it can become inedible.

Since the original poster mentioned "draining the blood" I assume the meat may not have been field dressed and cooled promptly and/or not transported properly, nor processed in a timely manner.

I have found proper care is the best solution.
    However soaking the meat in any of a variety of marinades can change, mask, overpower, and complicate existing flavors.

We lived in the bush for many years and the only meat we ate was wild game, mostly moose. When we moved to town I picked up some wonderful-looking beef steaks at the supermarket.

Yukk! No flavor!

So I decided wild meat has flavor, domestic meat has little to no taste.

I like a pool of blood on my plate when I'm done with my steak. The reason I love moose is it tastes like moose. I can't eat a beef steak anymore.

KK