Thread: Mobile Annuals / Maintenance

Default Mobile Annuals / Maintenance

Hello Everyone,
    I am an A&P / IA with a Level II NDT....used to own a FAR 145 Repair Station in the lower 48. Well....the economy caused me to have to close up shop so I brought my shop up to AK. (was coming eventually one day to do missions work anyway). I was thinking about putting together a mobile rig for doing annuals / maintenance.....also building a hangar home with a strip to do "majors" or I could travel to customer hangar or dock. Also thought about doing some bush recovery for birds broke in the field. I have 15 years experience on everything from a Piper J3's to a Gulfstream GV's. I have a stong background in structural work.
    Any thoughts sure would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    PS.Ive got a Falcon 10 R/H engine inlet for sale and an Eddy Current machine if anybody is interested. I figure there arnt many Falcon 10's flying around in the bush but if there are it probably wont be long before they will be in need of an inlet LOL.

Remember...when you've flamed out you can trade altitude for airspeed but you cant trade airspeed for altitude

Default welcome to AK

Your in aviation heaven up here! I am also an A&P/IA. If there is anything I can do to help with your adventure, let me know.
    Adison
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Default Mobile Annuals/Maintenance

Thanks Adison......
    What I was trying to say and I guess I didnt do that great a job of it was...What are the opinions of the flying community on having someone able to come out to your bird to annual/maintenance? I am sure there are mobile mechanics around and was wondering how they are making out and is the service needed? I will eventually have my shop set back up which is extensive and geared to custom work. I bought quite a bit of Northrops F-14 MRO tooling when they shut down in Cal. which allows me to custom fab complex parts. I have been severely infected with the airplane bug for many years and just need enough clients to keep my addiction appeased and family fed. I dont want to much work, just enough to do what work I have @ the highest quality. If anyone is interested let me know. Thanks

I don't know about annuals, but I would think advertising for mobile bush repairs after an "oopsie" might get you some business, if not exactly being "lucrative."

By the way it is all energy

Remember...when you've flamed out you can trade altitude for airspeed but you cant trade airspeed for altitude

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

There was a guy in soldotna years ago that thats all he did was mobile repair and annuals. He had a van that had everything he needed in it including a aircompresor and a small welding set up.. He didnt have the overhead that every one else had and he did work at a slightly lower rate. I had him do a few things for me. He was great. after awhile he had more work than he could do. He told me that he wouldnt have it no other way.
    No overhead and no payments. In the winter he had alot of larger projects he would do in the owners hanger.
    If you are good at what you do and get a good reputation You will have all the work you can handle.......

What part of alaska are you in?????

Default Mobile Maintenance

I am wintering in Wasilla....have been thinking about going to Kenai this spring...got friends down that way. Didnt know where I wanted to be so I rented a house in Wasilla for the winter. Now I know I dont want to be in Fairbanks (to cold) and its a toss-up between Anchorage/Matsu or the Kenai/Soldotna area. Kind of leanng towards Kenai seems a bit more laid back and housing is a bit cheeper. All my tools are on the back of a 35 ft trailer that I towed up here covered in snow at the moment. Got cabin fever bad and cant wait to get started
    In the Bush

Default Mobile Maintenance

Akjaq, Sent you a pm.