Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Lingcod

Default Homer Lingcod

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good charter outfit to do a lingcod/halibut combo out of Homer? I've always done them out of Seward, but some outfits are limiting folks to one ling even in the PWS waters. If I'm paying to do a combo, I want to at least have the opportunity to catch and keep two lings, so since it's a two-fish limit out of Homer...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

it's a long run and doesn't open until july.
    most likely you will pay a premium for a ling combo.
    i would call around and see who is willing to do it, then figure out who you want to go with.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default A-ward charters

I would give Bob Ward with A-Ward charters a call. They have been in business just about longer than anyone. They have a reputation for doing a good job. Silver Fox Charters used to be very good also - but I have heard they changed owners and the quality has dropped.

http://awardcharters.com/

Get a hold of Bone Yard Bait here. He does an excellent job fishing for them. They hold the #1 and #3 world record off there boat if I remember right. .
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

These guys aren't out of Homer but he holds the world record ling.
    http://www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com/
    I've heard very good things about this outfit.

There are lots of charters in Homer that will do both halibut and ling. However, the limiting factor is usually the weather. The best ling habitat is around the Chugatch Islands, which is a three-hour boat ride from Homer, in good weather.

But ya can't go wrong with Award Charters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    However, the limiting factor is usually the weather. The best ling habitat is around the Chugatch Islands, which is a three-hour boat ride from Homer, in good weather.
    Bingo. It will be a tad spendy and the weather is always questionable, but there is very good ling fishing around there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I'm going to make atleast one trip out there. I might do an overnight trip to make it worth wild.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Jim from Boneyard baits is a great guy! You will not be dissapointed!

Thanks for all the posts. I'm aware it'll cost more than the regular charter, but until I get a boat, I'll have to pay what they're charging! I've checked out A-Ward's site and the Ninilchik guy with that huge world record ling. I sent a PM to Boneyard baits....I've also heard good things about captain Josh with Bob's Trophy Charters...I guess I'll see who I can talk into a full day of arm-tiring jigging and then start calling around. I sure enjoy bouncing a jig instead of bait anyday.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Thumbs up Manns Charter Service

Myself, my dad, and a few friends went out with Mike Manns of Manns Charter Service back in '07, and we had awesome results! I whacked one that went 70 lbs 4 oz. Most of the other fish were in the 30-45 pound range.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Try Ken with Poi Boy Charters, I had a good trip with him last summer. I believe the name of his boat is "Last Laugh" a great fishing boat.

For that trip I wouldn't go with a standard 6-pack charter. Seas can get big out there, and it's no fun in a 25' boat. I've gone around the bend toward Flat Island and had seas turn from basically non-existent to 10-foot chop, which is no fun at all....you have huge tides mixing from 3 bodies of water, plus the Gulf of Alaska storm swells...it can be messy. On the flip-side, I've also cruised out there full-speed on glassy seas and you could do it in a 15 foot skiff...very weather and tide dependent area.

I highly recommend as big a boat as possible for that trip. They are usually more comfortable and with more amenities for that long trip, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Jim from Boneyard baits is a great guy! You will not be dissapointed!
    Great guy. I have learn allot from him.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    There are lots of charters in Homer that will do both halibut and ling. However, the limiting factor is usually the weather. The best ling habitat is around the Chugatch Islands, which is a three-hour boat ride from Homer, in good weather.

But ya can't go wrong with Award Charters.
    The whole outer coast 'cept perhaps immediately surrounding Res bay is good habitat.But thats all Im gonna say.

ak4195

If you go out of Homer, you better plan on having some good weather since it is a long ride to the decent fishing as where Seward I don't think you will have to go quite as far but I can't confirm that. I've gone all the way to Perl several times in our 22' boat this last summer. The water can be like glass the whole way or it can turn to crap around the point. It's a crap shoot.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by ak4195 View Post
    The whole outer coast 'cept perhaps immediately surrounding Res bay is good habitat.But thats all Im gonna say.

ak4195
    If you've got a boat that can handle it, a free week, and want a little adventure, take a boat ride from Homer to Seward (or vice versa). It's not that far of a trip, but there's a lot to see and explore and fish. Hardly anyone goes around the whole Kenai Fjords area...day-trippers out of Seward can only get a few bays out, and beyond that you don't see much of anyone. Basically between Chugach Island and Aialik Bay you'll be practically alone. In fact, it's probably not a bad idea to do this trip with a sister-boat along for safety.

It's one trip I have yet to do, but really want to someday. My dad's done it a couple of times and it just sounds amazing.

I have to second the Mike Mann choice, I got to fish with him the first week of Sept,08.
    We jigged up black rock fish on spinning, jigged up our lings, then got into some
    yelloweyes.
    Next came the neatest thing this 52 year old ever got to do.
    We made a drift or two jigging for halibut, and I got the hit from you know where!
    Thats when Mike said, aarrgghh, [might not have been his exact words] I should of
    sold you a Derby ticket..Ha..I should of thought about buying ticket, my fault.
    Anyway it took an hour and a half of solid battling, there was times Mike was backing
    down hard on this fish and I was still losing line, with one thumb on the spool and
    the other pinching the line against the cork on the rod, I grooved up that rod good.
    Towards the end one of the Bear Force boats showed up to watch the end of this
    battle. I was beat, arms aching, soaked in sweat, finally we got our first look.
    300 lber hooked smack dab in the tail, it sure felt like head shakes the whole time.
    10 set of eyes watched as Mike got a tail measurment on a piece of line and we let Her go,,see ya later bye..
    Last year we got a big one down in that area, the whole way back to Deep Creek,
    we were guessing the wt 200-220?? It ended up winning the the 07 Ninilchik Derby
    at 278, them are some fat fish down there.
    I dont know were it would of ended up in this years derby, but I am pretty sure the
    Sept. prize would of been mine, anyways sorry for the hijack and the ramble..
    Call Mike.
    BY A DERBY TICKET....rw tail measurment was 23 1/2 inches
    Last edited by r dubya; 02-05-2009 at 15:17. Reason: forgot the tail

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default North Country Charters

NCC is one of the best charters out there. My buddy's family owns it. It is a Homer family bussiness. If you get with them they will do everything in their power to get you what you want. If you talk to Ben Martin. He is a little young but an excellent captain tell him Rob and Benay sent you and tell him Hi. Long time friends of the family there. Hope this helps.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    If you've got a boat that can handle it, a free week, and want a little adventure, take a boat ride from Homer to Seward (or vice versa). It's not that far of a trip, but there's a lot to see and explore and fish. Hardly anyone goes around the whole Kenai Fjords area...day-trippers out of Seward can only get a few bays out, and beyond that you don't see much of anyone. Basically between Chugach Island and Aialik Bay you'll be practically alone. In fact, it's probably not a bad idea to do this trip with a sister-boat along for safety.

It's one trip I have yet to do, but really want to someday. My dad's done it a couple of times and it just sounds amazing.
    A few years ago,I spent about 1 month commercial fishing for halibut on the outer coast,almost exclusively inshore(say 2 miles or less).Most of the central gulf fishing is done offshore (10 to 90 miles),so it was a pleasure to anchor up every night,fish around the tides,Semi relaxed schedule.
    Ive fished many many rockpiles,reefs,bays and passes from Chatham Straights to Amchitka pass,but never this part of the coast in 23 years of experience(except part of a winter spent in Port Dick/Gore Pt).Some areas reminded me of S.E with lush rainforests and serious tropical type rain storms.
    Very rich with diversity of sealife,very little visited by the masses.I suspect that has/will change like all more remote areas.The modern history of the area goes back to the mining/trapping days of 30's & 40's
    Very rich,very remote,and very beautifull.

ak4195

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast