Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any circumstances for taking game illegally and under what circumstances?

Default Any circumstances for taking game illegally and under what circumstances?

I was curious what others thought about taking game out of season and under what circumstances you would consider the activity, such as the family is hungry?

Default only for 2 reasons

Defense of life or for food in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    I was curious what others thought about taking game out of season and under what circumstances you would consider the activity, such as the family is hungry?
    Sorry can't condone it.....if their hungry they should have shot one in season... it's not that difficult or ask for some road kill if you can't kill animals in season or drill a hole in the ice and catch some fish or something.... if that doesn't pan out ... can you say Beans Café
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default Survival

I always carry a firearm whenever I am flying. I pack enough food in my survival gear for about a week. If it is a survival situation I would not hesitate to harvest an animal.

AK

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Defense of life or for food in an emergency.
    That wouldn't be illegal... there's provisions in the reg's for that
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Smile A play on words.....

If you are stranded some where and the only way you can survive is to take a critter out of season then you can. But be ready to prove it was a must do situation. In theory it would not be illegal under those conditions. So the play on words is Alaska law never allows for illegal hunting. But, there are situations where prolonging ones life by harvesting a critter would not result in criminal charges for what would normally be viewed as illegal hunting. Did I make sense?

Taking game illegally?

Greed and profit are the main motivations.

In dire circumstances, its legal to do what you gotta do.

I also belive "$het happens"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

To stay alive and like others have said,its not illegal then.

When the economy falls flat, you and your wife loose your jobs, house and you are living in your car with your 3 kids and the dam moose is licking your window. Well i guess that don't work either cause that would be a defence of property

Exclamation prove it

make sure you can prove the situation called for it to survive and also the moose licking the window is not defense until the window is broken and the moose has at least one leg up to knee in the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. old timer told me along time ago that one shot and some diesel on the gut pile to keep critters off and they would never find it

Smile Certain circumstances....

Under certain circumstances the State of Alaska may not file criminal charges against you if you eat one of it's critters in an emergency situation and the law said it was illegal for you to harvest the critter under normal fish and game laws. One example would be if you were stranded some where and had done every thing a reasonable person could have done to avoid the situation. Just be ready to prove it. Were mincing words here but, there is no provision for "illegal" taking of game. But, under certain circumstances the powers that be may choose not to file criminal charges against you if they believe you had to violate fish and game laws in order to surrvive, so then it would not be "illegal" With todays technology and proper planning most of those circumstabnces can be avoided. You got me to thinking about those I have known over the years who faced that situation. One of the most common culprits was air plane crashes and not being picked up by the pilot that dropped you off. Did I make sense?

Default circumstance

Circumstance for subsistence is based on opportunity. I agree with the post below speaking of fishing and other options, however, when there is no food on the table and the family is cold and hungry one must seize the opportunity that presents itself. I don't feel it is up to me to judge an individuals motives without walking in there shoes. It is easy to frown upon an action based on ones own beliefs and values of a specific resource. The restrictions and seasons are in place to conserve the resource against over harvest. I agree that one should exhaust alterenate avenues (road kill, churches, etc) prior to harvesting an animal. Yes it is harder on the pride asking for assistance, but in the long run justifying an out of season harvest is probably going to be much more difficult and cost much more money.

illegal hunting = oxymoron

When I was a kid in NY I was out squirrel hunting in the spring and I came upon a deer that was… nasty to say the least, one leg missing, huge growth on its hind quarters, and very thin. I knew something was wrong with it, something really wrong. So I put it out of its misery, one shot to the head from about 50 yards with my marlin .22, I couldn’t even walk up to it without wanting to puke it stunk so bad from rot. I’ve e done that a few times in NY because there are a fair share of idiot hunters who can’t shoot straight.
    The growth on the hind quarters was from bow season as there was an end of an arrow still in there, about 6 inches, looked like the deer chewed off the rest. And the missing leg I can only assume from shotgun season a year or two earlier as it was healed pretty nicely.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Talking A little humor

This reminds me of a joke:

A man was stranded on a deserted stretch of land for an extended period of time. During this time he killed and ate a bald Eagle in order to survive. After several long weeks he was rescued by the Long Arm of the Law. Upon finding the pile of feathers and skeletal remains of the deceased bird of prey the Lawmen told the survivor he would have to face charges in court. In court he explained that he was in a life or death situation and the bird presented itself and without harvesting the bird he would have surely died. The judge found the compassion to drop the charges. After the conclusion of the trial the judge asked one question to the man: "what does bald Eagle taste like?" The man paused for a moment then replied "Better than whale but not as good as tiger."

Red face

Well, I have heard of people living remote and getting into bear problems that dont exactly meet the definition of DLP but that need to be taken care of and they dont feel like trying to prove the situation to F and G so they just deal with the situation themselves. I know of a couple of times in the past were people did this on Kodiak and I thought they were doing what needed to be done to get rid of a problem bear. I thought if I were in their shoes I would consider the same thing...
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Well, I have heard of people living remote and getting into bear problems that dont exactly meet the definition of DLP but that need to be taken care of and they dont feel like trying to prove the situation to F and G so they just deal with the situation themselves. I know of a couple of times in the past were people did this on Kodiak and I thought they were doing what needed to be done to get rid of a problem bear. I thought if I were in their shoes I would consider the same thing...
    Isn't that the 3 S's method:

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut-up

I guess the surest way to be rescued is shoot something out of season and the law will be right there to take you to town.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I guess the surest way to be rescued is shoot something out of season and the law will be right there to take you to town.
    It's worth a shot.
    Smallmonzter beat me to it, but here's my version.

Did you hear the story about the guy who was arrested for shooting California Condor?

He told his lawyer, “just put me on the stand, and let me testify”. In his testimony, he said he had been without food for days and days, and he had his gun, so when he seen something move, he just up and shot it, without consideration, and he ate the Condor, and it saved his life.

The judge decided that a man’s life was more important than strict adherence to the law, so he let him off without any punishment whatever.

The case made the news, and as he was leaving the court room, a reporter asked him how the Condor tasted. He said, “Oh, about half way between a Spotted Owl, and a Bald Eagle.”

(I’m not certain, but the guy COULD have been Alangaq.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I like your rendition better Smitty...I'll have to pass on that variation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast