Thread: Some new-guy questions

Question Some new-guy questions

I have a small aluminum v-bow, but flat on bottom boat, I just inherited an 8 h.p. motor. The boat says a max of 7.5 h.p. is recommended. I believe it's a 10 foot boat. Is this pushing it to put that motor on? It's an older Mariner, but not too heavy. Second question. The boat has never been registered (it came with the house) to keep the law-dogs off my back, how do I get tags for a non-papered boat?
    Thanks in advance.

Look on the DMV web site. They have a form that would cover this case. Basically as I read the form you certify the conditions under which you got the boat. since so small I think they will not even care.

Exceeding the max hp rating is never recommended, but can be done if caution is used. Be sure to keep most of your load (gas, tackle, fat friend, etc.) toward the front of the boat, and never gun the throttle. One of the ways that they figure the max hp for a frame is to see how much power it takes to flip the boat on take-off. That would certainly make for quite the crappy situation...

As for the tags, just go down to the dmv and let them know that you have a boat that has never been powered until recently. If you don't have the title or statement of origin, then find your bill of sale or receipt. They will charge you $24, with few, if any questions asked. I did this with an old 17' square stern canoe back in '05 without a problem.

Thanks, I didn't think it would be too much of a problem. Any input on the rest? I guess the winter's getting too long, I really need an open pond. If my plan works out, we'll be getting a bigger boat next year. (gotta steer her to the boat guys at the next show).

I can not see where .5 extra HP will hurt guessing the physical wt of the motor is not much different than any 7.5 HP motor. a little caution when you first try it could not hurt. i used to run 15 HP on 10 foot inflatable rated for 10 max. worked great.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default no problem...

I have an 8 foot plastic flatbottom boat I have used for 8 years. It is rated for 2 hp. I have used a 4hp four stroke on it regularly.

I think you would be OK on the engine. If you look up the brand, I'll bet the .5 hp different engine will have the same weight as the other. It is probably the same engine with a slightly larger bore. As long as it is not a heavier 4-stroker, it will probably work. But, that said it is best to follow the recommendations.

As far as the DMV is concerned, any boat that is powered by a motor is required to be registered. It is pretty affordable and will save you the hassles of being stopped if you don't register it.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default "livin on the edge"...

is the way to go man! Just be careful, especially the first time using it. I'll be fine. Being only 10' its probably pretty narrow too. Just be careful in turns at speed, small boats can be pretty squirrely on plane. Gradually get on and come off plane. You'll discover what the limits are, but I'm betting your gonna get some speed with just one guy!
    Jim
    We had a 12' with 9.9, was a great combo for 2 guys, I also now have an old fiberglass gamefisher with a 6 hp older Evinrude. Works okay, hard to plane with 2 guys but it will do it.