Thread: 10mm Cast load experiment

Default 10mm Cast load experiment

Alright this is just asking. I know I know. But...

I have a bunch of Laser cast 185 grain bullets. They are specificlly for a 1911

I cant seem to find load data anywhere. I have one of those complete loading manuals. purusing through it there are many loads for Bluedot in the 8 to 10 grain range for bullets between 180 and 200 grains of weight. Sierra suggests a max of 9.9 for a 190 grain bullet they make.

So in theory should I be able to add 9 grains of powder to these cast loads?

And if someone has load data for these laser casts in 10mm that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Alright this is just asking. I know I know. But...

I have a bunch of Laser cast 185 grain bullets. They are specificlly for a 1911

I cant seem to find load data anywhere. I have one of those complete loading manuals. purusing through it there are many loads for Bluedot in the 8 to 10 grain range for bullets between 180 and 200 grains of weight. Sierra suggests a max of 9.9 for a 190 grain bullet they make.

So in theory should I be able to add 9 grains of powder to these cast loads?

And if someone has load data for these laser casts in 10mm that would be awesome.

Sure. Sounds like a very nice load. I'm not sure that would cycle your 1911 but it should be a good load. I've loaded 10.0 of Blue Dot with 200 grain bullets and my guns were happy. What do you mean these are specifically for 1911? Are they sized to .401"? That seems to be the correct diameter for the ten.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Well I want to shoot them through the glock. I bought them for my 1911 though. They just say 40 cal on the box. I shot 5 rounds of these through the glock yesterday, just couldnt remember exactly what they were loaded with. I know that sounds scary. But anytime I reload a questionable load I immediatly dissmantle it. If I have rounds laying around, but are a mystery, I at least know they are safe. But my journal keeping and orginization is lacking. And Im making strides in that department. Got a good log now, and I labeled everything I made up yesterday. My big problem is when Im experimenting and just have a few samples of this and that. I get pretty lazy when it comes to labeling just a handfull of loads.

Thanks for the fast response murphy. Time to hit the dillon!

Default 10 mm

I am not sure about the 185's but I am loading 180FP laser cast with 9.8 grains of Blue dot for my Glock 20. In the Laser Cast reloading manual they do not show a loading for Blue Dot. They do show Unique;AA7;AA5;540 and HS-6 though. I have not tried any of these as I have a good supply of Blue Dot and have been happy with the way it performs. For the Sierra's I use 10.0 grains of Blue Dot and that is whta I carry in the field.

Bummer that manual doesnt show loads for AA #9. I got 5 pounds of it I need to use.

Default 10mm

The manual does show a AA9 load for the 200 FP, just not the lighter bullets.
    AA9/10.9 for 1011 starting load
    AA9/11.8 for 1105 dor MAX load.
    Are you shooting the cast in the 'stock' Glock barrel or have you gotten a replacement one to handle the cast loads? I have a Lone Wolf barrel for mine and like the way it groups my loads.

Yeah I just have the stock barrel. Trying to refrain from tricking this thing out. My wallet is on E right now so its not to hard to do

I did a couple of searches on lead through the stock barrels. From what I gather, the consesus is to keep the barrel clean and all should be fine for some light sessions with lead.

Thoughts?

I cant see why a barrel would need to be special to handle lead, but maybe there is something Im not seeing? The only problem I can see is from excess pressure build up from leading, but that would seem to apply to any barrel. And if I give a good de-leading and constant intervals that would take care of that.

But Im open to any suggestions as I dont want to have a kablamo.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Check with Lazer Cast. (Oregon Trail)

They will be able to provide you, or point you to, loading data for their bullets.

A barrel for Lead bullets should have deeper grooves.

For Auto pistols that have shallow grooves, I think yer spose to use cast bullets that are hard, (Lazer Casts are hard), and right at groove diameter. You can measure your bullet diameter with a caliper.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You can load the AA#9 with the 200 grain FP's. Best results with that powder will be with a magnum primer, I use CCI-350's. I've shot a lot of cast bullets in lots of Glocks. Just clean often and clean the chamber well with a wire brush, they work fine. The lead shaves off right at the chamber mouth and will build up and keep the gun from closing all the way. When that happens just stop and do a quick cleaning. It will take 100 rounds or more before a problem occurs, depending on the bullet. The Laser cast seem to go a long while.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

800X is another good choice with heavier cast bullets (up to 220gr).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks alot for the help guys. Cant wait to shoot again. Uh oh, muzzleloaders might be put on the backburner for another weekend.