Thread: Muzzle brakes/porting

Default Muzzle brakes/porting

Hey folks, what does a muzzle brake/Porting do as far as performance of the round itself? Does it hurt the ballistics?

Quote Originally Posted by T11R17 View Post
    Hey folks, what does a muzzle brake/Porting do as far as performance of the round itself? Does it hurt the ballistics?
    Not that I've noticed, but my experience is almost exclusively with Magnaport. Any small loss (very small) in velocity is a fair trade for reduction in muzzle jump. Benefits are most noticeable in handguns, but still there in rifles. Shooting side by side, my 4" 629 has less muzzle rise than my 7" RH 44. My Ruger #1 Tropical is the only 375 with which I can actually see bullet impact through the scope. Bonus points with both guns.

A muzzle brake, if simply threaded onto the end of the barrel, will not affect the ballistics of the projectile, as all you are doing is diverting muzzle blast in a different direction. Thats the crude explanation. Porting, as done by mag-na -port, is in most cases, insignificant in its effect in velocity. The ports are very small, and the gases are directed up to help reduce upward movement of the barrel during recoil. Porting of the type done with a drill bit, as with multiple holes drilled directly into a barrel and with or without an "expansion chamber" will basically reduce the length of the barrel by the lenth of the "porting" arrangement and thus reduce velocity. Also it is very difficult to maintain a sharp, consistent crown at the termination of the rifling in this type of arrangement, outside of a factory environment. The basic rule is DON'T mess with the inside of your barrel. A lot of guys like to drill holes in peoples guns and charge them good money for screwing them up.

Good to know, thanks for the replies!!

This is a good read and explains brakes and porting well:
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzle_brakes.htm
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Why would drilling ports effectively reduce barrel length while magnaporting *not* do this? I don't no how much velocity is reduced by porting, but presumably the number, size, and placement of ports would impact this.