Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your first snowmachine ?

Default What was your first snowmachine ?

I CAN REMEMBER AT AGE 10 I HAD A 1966 SKI DOO. WE HAD THAT THING RUNNING UP AND DOWN THE ANCHORAGE GREENBELT. NO SHOCKS, HAD A RECOIL STARTER, 1O BIG HORSES (TECNOLOGY AT ITS BEST IN 66), PULLING EVERY KIND SLED WITH HALF THE NEIGHBORHOOD KIDS IN TOW. THAT THING WAS THE BEST OF THE WORST. AT 10 YEARS OLD AND GOING 20 MILES AN HOUR, YOU THOGHT YOU COULD OUT RUN THE HEADLIGHT. YOU WERE YOUR OWN MAN. FLAPPING AROUND ON THAT TRAMPOLINE HANGING ON TO THE HANDLE BARS AND THROTTLE WITH EQUAL ENTHUSIASAM. OPPS BUSTED ANOTHER SKI OFF. WHERES THAT TRAILBOSS WITH THAT TANK CAT OF HIS TO DRAG ME HOME? THAT WASN'T HIS HANDLE THEN BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY. MY FIRST ADRINLIEN RUSH. MAN WHAT A SLED. YOU WOULD GET GAS ANYWAY YOU COULD, AND AT THAT AGE SOMETIMES THAT MEANT WORKING. WHICH WAS A GOOD LESSON OF THINGS TO COME, AND I CUT MY TEETH ON HOW TO FIX THINGS THE ALASKAN WAY. BUT BY GOD I'M GOING TO RIDE SOMEHOW SOMEWAY! IT CAN BE FIXED. NOW WHERE'S MY BAILING WIRE AND DUCT TAPE!

Wink First Machine!!!

Dude!! That as a 64 Arctic Cat 160D 8hp. Koller 4-stroke, engine in the rear. Roughest rideing MO FO I ever had. But you could not stop it.
    Those were not the days!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

1967 Ski-doo Olympique

I think all but one of my brothers rode that thing before it was permenantly retired (RIPS). I hated the carb position especially when you were hanging it all out at 30 mph or busting some big fluffy snow drifts. Dang what a sled.....I can't believe you made me miss that thing.

Default 71 ski-doo elan

yup had that sled up to 55 miles an hour once (I think the clutch was extremely messed up with a very worn belt, had to push it to get going)
    Rode that thing until i bought my 88 ski-doo mx.

HA dupont spinner DID ride a ski-doo at one time!!!! and I thought he bled green!!

Default 2009 Yamaha Phazer Mtn

1st and only sled I've ever owned. I've run it 70 miles in the last 2 weekends. So far, I really like it. 20mpg, great in the powder, fun on the lakes, and has just enough power for my 190lbs.

Default 1974 Mercury

My first one was a 1974 Mercury 339. I agreed to take it (for free), on the premise that it ran, and it did, on one lung. My pops scrounged up a set of magnetos and we hooked up an on/off switch as it did not have one. (Had to choke it out or pull the spark plug wire to kill it.) The windshield had so many cracks that were wired and epoxied that my buddies used to call it Frankentub. The thing was like a bath tub with skis and a track. I used to to jump that thing off of anything it would climb, (which usually was not much as it had a track with no lugs, just a square pattern that was about 1/8th of an inch). It would go about 60 mph if you had a 2 mile straight away that was slightly down hill. I broke every bogey about 100 times over and each ski as well. I think my pop learned how to weld on this thing. It had no cowling in front of the seat, so the carb was right there in front of you, and the red jacket I wore when I rode that tub had a permanent smokey grey stain in the front. (No matter how hard she tried, my mom could never get that stain out.) I smelled of Quaker State 2 Stroke and gas for 2 winters when I was in school. I finally abused that thing enough to make it lose a lung again, and buy then I was on to better, so I gave it away to someone else to resurrect. Boy, those were the days. Makes me appreciate the reliability and comfort of the newer machines, though.
    Last edited by talkeetnakid; 02-02-2009 at 22:58. Reason: Addition

1968 Ski Daddler, 362cc (I think). I thought I had the world by the tail. Bogie Wheels, single thumper with the spark plug sticking out the top. Looked like hell, but never left me stranded

1973 Scorpion 440 Super Stinger... that thing was fast but seemed to break a lot.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

1965 Arctic Cat 100D 8hp 4stroke. Have a 1967 Panther in the yard 4stroke, 2 68 sno-jets

Thumbs up

We started with the infamous 196? Ski Doo TNT (pop up headlight and everything).

Over the years I've had an Elan 300SS (twin cylinder screamer), two Elan 250s, a 1983 Ski doo Citation 300, an Everest 440, a 198? Arctic cat Pantera (air cooled), a 1994 polaris 500sks and my current 1998 700 RMK.

Friends that I grew up with had a wide variety too - a Scorpion whip 440, Moto-skis, Arctic Cat Cheetah and El Tigre, an Evinrude something, Sno-jet, etc...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

1992 Skidoo MXZ 470, that thing was heavy but it was a pretty fast sled for as heavy as it was. Had lots of fun with that thing and it got me on the path to snowmachining.

A 1986 Polaris 340 Sprint. Fun lil machine and almost lost Hunt_AK off the back a time or two zipping 'round the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    A 1986 Polaris 340 Sprint. Fun lil machine and almost lost Hunt_AK off the back a time or two zipping 'round the neighborhood.
    NO DOUBT!! I was telling that story at work two days ago and the guys were rollin'! Flat, slick seat with an overzealous adolescent hitting culverts, ditches, and whatnot makes for a bad combo for a passenger!!

1969 skidoo olyimic.
    got it when I was a teenager. It was about 30 years old. I was constantly working on it to keep it running. The exaust system had holes so the machine was rather noisy smokey but I had a great time any way.

197? or 198? Yamaha phazer that was awsome.

Not my first sled, but the first one that I have clear memories of was a 1976 Scorpian Range Whip 440. Always started on 1 or 2 pulls, even when starting up for the first time in the fall. That was a great machine, even after I tried to ride it up a 100' vertical cliff (I only made it about the first 4 feet before rolling back to the bottom). Always reminded me of a cyclops with that one big round headlight that sat off to one side of the sled.

Default 1972 Arctic cat Lynx

I think it was a 292. It had a Kawasaki engine. I ice fished and hunted ptarmigan from it until I upgraded to a Panther. These were rough riding but bullet proof machines. In my opinion the wide variety of manufacturers and models, and the rapid development made the machines of the 70s far more interesting than today's sleds.

1974 ski-doo 340 TNT. usually took about an hour to get it running, had no cowling, and occasinally the muffler would pop off, but I still loved it when I was a young kid

Default Great Thread!

Bringing back some fun memories. Lets see if I can remember them all. First was a 69 Ski Doo Oly, 74 TNT, 80 Jag(favorite!), 82 Citation(2nd favorite), 98 Panther, 2001 ZR and now(drum roll)....1989 Indy super long track 440!

Default old school

My first sled was a 82 Chaparral with a 440 skidoo motor. I thought I had it all. And now I have a 700 Polaris Dragon with a 136 track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast