Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know what this is

Default Anybody know what this is

We're fishing Peters Creek again this year, West of Talkeetna. There is a glacier in the area we are going to try and hike in to.

I follow the road on google earth to this "Outpost"?

Is that what it is......on Google Earth it is at

62/28/12/89 North 151/03/45/67 West

Default ???

Mark,

Not sure what you're asking. Are you wanting to know if that's a glacier? What's the name of the glacier you're hoping to hike into?

Tim
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default it

Looks like an airstrip. Wouldnt count on there being anything there besides a couple old buildings if that. If im seeing what your seeing.

That's a private airstrip, locally known as "Dollar Creek Mine". It is an active placer mine in the summer, the owners are just as likely to be there as not any time of the year. It would be quite a hike to the Kahiltna Glacier from there, lots of rough country and brush. You might want to climb above treeline and go NW until you descend W into the glacier valley. Any way you go, it will be a real bushwhack.

I hope you plan on staying awhile. That will be a heck of a hike.....good luck and let us know how it went....

When we go places, Alaska, Wyoming etc, outside of fishing we set goals. Things like catch our first Grayling, stand on a remote river with a Grizzly, and hike to a Glacier, chip of some ice into a glass pour a shot of whiskey over it and have a drink.

There is a glacier as you hike out from the Upper Russian Lake, but it didn't work out. The weather had turned a bit and it was a lot further then anticipated.

We almost did it in Wyoming, but only got as high as pack ice in August.

The "Shot of Whiskey over Glacier Ice" is the one goal we have not met.

The glacier on the Russian is not doable. I was hoping to find a route that would put Kahiltna Glacier (thank you Randy for providing the name) within a couple miles.

If it was an outpost, I thought I might be able to contact somebody associated with it to see if there was anything that puts us within hiking distance to the glacier.

Thank you for the help....this is what I was looking at.

Why not just walk up to Worthington Glacier?

Why not just walk up to Worthington Glacier?
    Sounds crazy, but a "Touristy" Glacier won't count. Has to be a remote Glacier that we hike to and there's no established trail, signs, or people.......has to be a "Wilderness" Glacier.

Same as with the Bear. We could of gone to the Russian/Kenai Confluence, spent the day there and seen Grizzly, but it would not have been the same. It had to be just us, out in the Boonies, standing on a River with a Grizzly.

Default Glaciers

Black Rapids: Have to cross a river to get to it.
    Castner or Canwell: Close to the highway but the Castner has a cave in the face.
    Tazlina: Float down the Little Nelchina to the Big Nelchina to Tazlina Lake. Motor to south end, hike to glacier. Good possibility of seeing bear, sheep, goats, etc. Motor northeast to mouth and float the river to the Richardson highway.

That's just the tip of the iceberg for glaciers to see. Are there any other parameters for the trip? Why not venture away from Anchorage and south central and experience some real Alaska?

Default glacier

You could certainly do it from there. Super bushwack for sure. Id probabll walk up the creek to the ridge leading up and over. Dont forget machete, headnet, 44mag and overnight kit. I wouldnt be suprised if you saw a bear while sipping your whiskey in this area, thaere are plenty around.

Default K-Bay State Park

Mark, not sure if Kachemak Bay State Park would fit the guidelines, but there is a slew of glaciers you can hike into from across the bay from Homer.

Shot of Whiskey over Glacier Ice is a neat plan!
    Good luck,

Thanks for the input guys. Our schedule kind of locks us into the Petersville area for a Glacier if we are going to do it. My own fault. We're doing four days on the Upper Russian and I really thought we could do it there.

Here is what I looked at initially. We're getting dropped off at the Upper Russian, then hiking and fishing out over the course of 4 days.

I was looked at a side "Jaunt" and it looked to be about 8 miles round trip. But if you looked closer the route actually only gets you to the end of the "Glacier Lake". It's another two miles to the Glacier making it about 10-12 miles round trip. I just don't think its doable, still allowing for time fish and explore the Russian.

Our Schedule is pretty tight. We land July 18th.

19/20 Resurrection Creek
    21/22 Two days, one night drifting the Kenai
    23 Shark Charter out of Seward
    24/25/26/27 The Upper Russian
    28/29/30 Petersville
    31 running for the Airport, wishing we had another two weeks.

If there is somthing in the Hope area, or even further North past Talkeetna, we might be able to try that

Shot of Whiskey over Glacier Ice is a neat plan!
    I don't know who you think you're kidding. The life you're leading, I would bet you have done that a dozen times, and shared a shot with a Grizzly to boot.

See what I mean, at a glance 8 miles or so, a little closer look, pretty much puts it out of reach.......though I am wondering if I could get the pilot to drop us at this lake...hike to the Glacier, have a shot, then head for the Russian.............hmmmmmm

Default Trail

If you go to the upper end of dollar creek their is a 4-wheeler trail that follows the old mining district mail trail that goes to the base of the Kahiltna. You can drive to within about a 1/4 mile of the ice. Hope this helps.

Thanks......we are renting a Hummer as well. Is the trail wide enough for that and if not, how far do you think it is walking down the trail. Thank you for the information.

George and Delores McCullogh owned Dollar Creek Mine and used to have lodging there. George has passed away and the family no longer operates it as a lodge. You can actually drive there if road/trail conditions are good enough. To get there from Peters Creek would require many stream crossings as the bridges on the road were washed out in the '06 flood. I don't have any idea how many were repaired past Peters Creek. When the family goes in there it can often be an epic adventure. All depends on rain conditions. Get permission first before trespassing on their property.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Well I think we have our plan, and it looks like an epic adventure. On the picture below we are going to get dropped off at a small lake, hike down to the Glacier, then cross the glacier. We will then hike down to the glacier lake and hopefully be able to walk along the lake till we get down to where it turns into streams. We'll then cut through the boonies to Aspen Flats and the Russian River, then spend a couple days fishing the Russian.

All in all, looks to be about 12 miles. Travel shouldn't be that hard until we leave the lake and cut across to the Russian. Any thoughts on what type of terrain we will encounter.

Here is the route we're looking at

Here is actual photo of the glacier from when we flew in to the Upper Russian in 07.

We're looking into Crampons, ropes and such. As always any advice is welcome.

Float the Sixmile Creek. It is a world Class float and it 11 miles east of Hope, Ak.

Google up Sixmile Creek or "Chugach Outdoor Center"

Default Ooo

I believe it will start epic and then your friends will hate you.

If you dont know what devils club is now, you will once you come off that mountain. It also looks like the terrain on the west side of the glacier could be a better option to descend and cross below the glacier. Those walls at the bottom are sheer rock on either side of the glacier. Not friendly. You need some topos, WITH google earth to get a realistic idea of what you're looking at.

Default Actually

The more I look at it, theres no way you will be walking the lakeshore. Maybe you could packraft across but most likely just getting to the water anywhere close to that route will be a test of your mountaineering skills, possibly your survival skills too. Good luck.
    Last edited by whitepalm; 02-05-2009 at 20:52. Reason: more

The more I look at it, theres no way you will be walking the lakeshore.
    I tend to agree. I have a 1:50 topo, was looking for a 1:24, no luck yet.
    We only have to make it about 1/3 mile down the lake from the edge of the glacier. We then cut into a creek, climb up and take the ridge above the lake.

I'm just concerned about the 1/3 mile. My thoughts are when we fly in make a pass to see if there is a shore along that side. If there is not, then we would cut directly across the glacier, between the first and second mountain, climb up a couple hundred feet the work our way down on that ridge.

I also have some time to work with the charter and see if they can get some info early on as they are flying through the area.

Other then that section, I don't have alot of concerns. Coming down from the lake where we land looks reasonable, crossing the glacier shouldn't be real difficult and once we go cross country, we look for game trails and try to stay on top of the ridges to make travel less difficult.

We like to get off the beaten path and I think this is definately a route less traveled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast