Thread: Predators Off the Haul Road

Default Predators Off the Haul Road

Has anyone made a trip up north hunting predators? I know there are lots of fox around and some lynx and wolf. I am going up caribou hunting and was wondering if bringing the foxpro would be any good?

Thanks
    Carl

I have done the same thing. I know fox are pretty easy to get to come to a call, but wolf know what the deal is. I did see one black wolf in the distance. But he was already headed out of town. Good luck.

we will be heading up in about a week. Anybody have any luck calling in arctic fox or lynx up near deadhorse? I have seen fox up there but never any lynx. I figure if my buddies make me hike out the 5 miles I might as well bring the AR and the Foxpro. Otherwise we will be bow hunting for predators next to the road.

Thanks
    Carl

Arctic fox will respond to a lip squeak better than anything, we messed with them caribou hunting several years ago, but season was'nt open. There are some really pretty red's also, but no rabbits or lynx, so the rabbit distress may not be the right call. Rick Kinman talks about it a little in his book.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

AK Carl, check road conditions before you go, there have been several slides and lots of semi trucks off the road. roll overs and collisions. conditions have been very bad. there is a thread in the global discussion covering some that i started. Snow conditions are also bad.

If you decide to go any way make sure you haul plenty of survival gear..

good luck
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

So far the weather looks pretty terrible. I am hoping the wind dies down. If it doesnt I think we will just venture to Coldfoot and hope there are some caribou around there. If not there is always plenty of ptarmigan to chase with bows south of the pass.
    Thanks
    Carl