Thread: Speaking of bears charging...

Default Speaking of bears charging...

Did any of you happening to see Cabela's Outfitter Journal this summer? I was watching it on the Outdoor Channel around mid July and noticed this guy moose hunting in AK with his bow.

The guy shoots a nice bull walking at close range and doesn't allow for a lead. The arrow disappears in the guts. The moose walks off like nothing happened. The hunter shoots again and hits just below where the heart is located. Finally this guy puts a third arrow through the boiler room.

Now, he is hunting with a guide and has booked a combo hunt that includes brown bear. Once again, this "sharpshooter" is hunting brown bear with his bow. The story goes that he is getting toward the end of his hunt and he decides to switch to a rifle. They eventually see a respectable boar and he shoots it. In the corner of the camera shot, you can see movement. It's a sow with a cub. The sow looks at the death throws of the boar, looks at the two guys and comes full bore! You can see the guide waving his arms to try and scare it off, but she is coming like a freight train. I was watching this and my adrenaline was pumping. At 6 yards you can see both guide and client shoot the bear in the chest. She spins, runs 50 yards and collapses! Naturally this is ALL on video and it is seriously intense.

One question pops in my mind. What guide in his/her right mind would let this crookedshooting client take his bow after a brown bear just after making a moose into a pin cushion.

If you haven't see this video and have never been charged by a bear. It is a true eye opener. Check it out if it comes back on.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co....jsp?auPage=tv

You can see a preview on the above link. Look for Alaskan Bear and moose combo.

Yes .I seen that show on the outdoor channel , Man my heart was pumping also , Gotta give the guide credit , He waited till the last secound to shoot . He did all he could to chase that bear off . You could tell he was very upset over having to put that sow down.

I watched it with a buddy and he thinks that was a bluff charge. I am not so sure - that sow knew there was someting dangerous and reacted accordingly. At any rate, the guide could not have waited any longer than he did to make that shot and he seemed truly bothered about taking it. The other guy seemed stunned by the whole ordeal.

That video is VERY intense!!! I agree with giving the guide credit for trying to avoid shooting the sow.

Wow, you don't have to just watch the preview, if you go to the link listed above you get the option of watching the entire episode on your computer (if you have high speed) My DLP went kind of like that except I didn't have the rifle even ready to shoot until just under 3 yards. Definitely helped bring back recent memories though.

Default WOW

I just watched the whole episode on the computer here. What a baffoon! That fella sure talked alot of talk for shooting that bad. I wouldn't have been withing a half mile if he started flinging arrows at the brownie like that! The guide did the right thing though. Let him carry the bow all he wants. Then when it goes down make him shoot the rifle. Maybe that "professional" will spend some time at the range. He said he shot about a foot back on that moose but it was about 3 feet back!!! Sorry, I'm all spun up after watching that! May we all be more responsible in our shooting than that.

Default vid

Did you see it looked like he short stroked the bolt as well. I looked at that awhile back someone posted it & got the same feeling as you, while waiting w/the moose the guide looked as though they should just shoot it at least that is how i felt!

Question Coulda woulda shoulda?

Lemme throw one out here.

I saw three guys with firearms when that sow was charging. The guide had one, the hunter had one, and there was somebody else off to the right (assistant guide? maybe a packer?) who was the first to shoulder a weapon.

I wasn't there, my adrenaline wasn't going, and the proper authorities determined it was a DLP. I don't question what these fellows did with the bear charge. They all came home alive. I want to be clear on that because my question really is a hypothetical:

If you'd been the guy standing off to the right, would you have put a round into the dirt in front of that sow? Would it have made any difference? I hear people talk about doing that, but never having been in such a situation (thank Heaven), I've wondered whether it's a good idea.

I'd be interested to read your thoughts.

Default Rounds

IMHO I would spend my time getting the bear in my sights at that distance & probably would have shot sooner than the guide did. Now if you are with me you can send all you want in front of it but I am saving mine for the bear. It just isnt worth a mauling or worse. It looked as though everyone was trusting in the BOSS to decide but I dont think I would have if he didnt stop the bear it didnt look like anyone else was ready esp. the "hunter". Maybe at more of a distance or if its not chargeing me warning shots could be in order ?

I dont think any of us can speculate what happened, or what should of happened. the guide did what he had to do. You can only imagine the roller coaster of emotions from stalking the clients bear they were after, shooting that bear, trying to shoot to get a follow up shot and hoping it goes down, to a charging sow with cubs a couple seconds later. Hey they all survived the event, they done good! For S&G though, I think the guide was pretty sure the sow would hold short and not keep coming, she screwed up and went just a little too far. I will add that I never understand these professional hunting videos allowing horrible shots made on film to make it to the final cut on a hunting video. That was the worst shot on a moose I think I have ever seen with a bow. the guide done good by making that guy use a rifle on the bear cuz i wouldn't have backed him up on a bear after seeing how he shot.
    Last edited by AlaskaCub; 10-06-2006 at 16:38.

Default poor shooting....

I wasn't very impressed with the guy's rifle handling ability either. He didn't seem to be at all familiar with it the way he was fumbling with it.... and picking up his brass right away?
    As for bad shots on hunting shows.... I've seen many and the guy always seem to exclaim "good shot!" as if it would draw your attention away from the obvious bad shot that was just made.
    Now bads shots do happen but they don't need to be shown, or to be made to look like good shots!

reuben....

Default ak Steve

That, ladies and gentlemen, is why non residents are required by law to have a guide for hunting brown bears, goats, and sheep.
    The avearge Joe from the lower 48 who has killed a few whitetails in a cornfield has not idea what he's in for up here. That dude would have been bear scat if he'd been out there with his neighbor. You just can't live in the lower 48, be of average means, and be able to afford the types of hunts that prepare one for big bears.

Default Thanks for the show

We need to remember, that, one: the guide made the decision for the archer to take the bear with a gun and it may have not been the hunters rifle. Two: two shots had been fired at the bore. Three: not one person on the show wanted to kill that sow nor did they hold back with their distaste at being forced to do so.

Great video of actual life or death footage of a good guide and last resort measures.

Thanks....Bigmnt

Talking Too Dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    That, ladies and gentlemen, is why non residents are required by law to have a guide for hunting brown bears, goats, and sheep.
    Hey Steve,

What are your thoughts about non Alaskan residence as guides in Alaska? Or the military people who are allowed to hunt without a guide? What about that moose/caribou hunters from the lower 48 or the new Alaskan resident with just one year under their belt?

What about a guy who comes from Hawaii and becomes a guide and tries to drown people on float trips? (Now hold on here Mike, just trying to make a point.)

Wouldn’t it just be easier to require a guide in Alaska for all outdoor activities, because bears are some of the least of the dangers people have to deal with up here in the last frontier?

Please! people, just stay away!...it is just too dangerous up here.

PS, No Tony’s or Mikes were harmed in the making of this reply....at least I hope not....LOL
    You too Steve...

Bigmnt

Bigmnt -- I disagree with your comments "Wouldn’t it just be easier to require a guide in Alaska for all outdoor activities, because bears are some of the least of the dangers people have to deal with up here in the last frontier?"

I'm a non-resident from Louisiana whose been on both a guided hunt (sheep) and a complete do-it-yourself hunt (moose). I've got ~30 days of hunting in Alaska. There is no doubt in my mind that I could handle a sheep hunt on my own now that I've done it. The moose hunt I did on my own. While I know brown bears are another category, my experience in the field during those 2 hunts give me confidence that I could likely handle hunting brownies. After all, what about the encounters with grizzlies and/or blackies that non-residents have while hunting moose and caribou?

Just my 2 cents.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default Everybody is a critic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmnt View Post
    We need to remember, that, one: the guide made the decision for the archer to take the bear with a gun and it may have not been the hunters rifle. Two: two shots had been fired at the bore. Three: not one person on the show wanted to kill that sow nor did they hold back with their distaste at being forced to do so.

Great video of actual life or death footage of a good guide and last resort measures.
    I have to agree with this. Just remember hind sight is 20/20. You weren't the one standing there so its easy to pass judgement on what you saw on video. I personally would have shot sooner. My life is not replacable and I'm not ready to leave my family behind!

Romo,

As long as your name is not Joe or if you do not hunt whitetails, then you should be fine to continue to hunt in Alaska. If, on the other hand the above applies, then please stop comming to Alaska, it is far to dangerous for you up here and you may get hurt......

Have a great hunting season.....Bigmnt